What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

You know, there are so many threads about tipping vs not tipping, brake vs no brake, Hornady vs Nosler, Blaser vs everything else LOL.

Here is one I have not seen. Watches.... I am a huge watch lover. I was curious what do all of the AH.com crowd wear when on a hunt? I wore a Suunto Traverse Alpha on my last few hunts. I am so anti digital watches, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to watches. But I thought it would be great as it has a built in breadcrumb view via GPS. This allowed me to leave the GPS at home for my backpack hunts etc. But I quickly learned this watch "specifically designed" for hunting, was crap. When in normal watch mode the battery lasts forever. But in GPS mode which I assume everyone is using if they bought the "hunting" version. The battery hardly lasts 5-6 hours. So I am debating dumping this and going back to a good ole fashioned automatic watch. One where battery won't matter. And bring back my GPS which last for weeks in GPS mode.
No watch watch when I'm hunting,

Wearing a big heavy watch this season. A Victorinox Pro Diver . I think it weighs a half pound, feels great . I can use it to take a chicken too,if I throw it I am sure it would work perfect!

Not worried about getting it dirty, and this model has just a great band set up.

Love all the watches you all have posted on this thread!

PXL_20210908_144705859.jpg

The panerai do something similar. I am still on the fence with the panerai. I have large hands and am afraid that if I ever bend my wrist upward that the protector would dig into my hand. Cartier did it within the case size which is really nice. All this watch talk got me looking at watches. Seeing me throw bales of hay skrn my omega on started to hurt my feelings a little lol. So I was eyeballing a Hamilton

This could be my hunting/ hay bale watch lol.

Got friends who have panerai watches in their collections and at least one isn't a little wall flower, so I don't think you would have any issues....and if you want something different and tough have a look at these...I have one as I said in my post way earlier...they are very reasonable price I think... it's the nite hawk with nato strap....mmm just seen don't do the nato strap anymore...a polymer one...but good tough watches...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.11.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.11.47 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.11.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.11.52 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
My first post outside of general greeting!

I wear a Sinn U1-T or Alpha when I am out by myself.

But when I am on a group hunt, I don't wear one.

Frankly, I hardly ever pay attention to time when I am out in the field.

One less distraction to take away from my away time!

A very useful tred, broadens the horizons.
I've never been particularly concerned with style, and, alas, I couldn't afford expensive watches. I still use them on the hunt - the phone, alas, does not completely replace them - it is easily discharged and is not very well protected. The watch, in my opinion, should have the following qualities: a black dial, large white numbers, not strokes, and there should be permanent glow marks, not a simple phosphor. Oddly enough, it is almost impossible to find such a combination of qualities now. I once had just such a watch, a Soviet military model "Komandirskie". I lost them, I don't remember how. Unfortunately, safety requirements have increased, and tritium activation has been banned. But it is in the morning, sometimes, you need to find out the time in complete darkness.
Now, out of several watches that more or less met the requirements, these ones remained: good, but the chronograph, to be honest, is not needed for hunting, and the bezel with numbers is only needed by scuba divers, and I am not an aqualangist.
20211007_121625.jpg

Last edited:
i have an iwc classic pilot chronograph, iwc mark xvi, rolex datejust, tag heuer chrono, baume & mercier chrono, and some assorted others, but my favorite watch i have is a timex i paid about $15 for. its cloth band has the sweat/blood/ memories of a couple alaskan griz and several caribou hunts, and has also been with me on an amazing plains game hunt to namibia. every time i put that watch on, it is for my next great adventure and is therefore my favorite.

Now that's a cool watch. Classy

Thanks. I'm a huge fan of 20's-40's watches, especially the embellished and art deco styles. A page or two back I posted a pic of my '28 Illinois and I also have a '40 ish Lord Elgin among a few others that need some work. Definitely some other's I would love to own.

Here's a quest - find out who has a shiny watch. Of course, it doesn't matter to wild boars, but birds see well. So by the spring goose season, I'll have to look for something with a black body
IMG-20211004-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20211005-WA0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was fortunate to hunt Namibia in 1998. Bought a casio that did everything. The first morning out I realized I didn't really need to know the exact time let alone the altitude, humidity and several other measurements the watch could tell me. I could feel it was going to rain....
I was there to enjoy the hunt and feel the things around me. I took the watch off that morning and haven't worn one since. That was 23 years ago.

While on vacation this past March, my wife saw fit to buy me a "dress" watch. Something simple and elegant that will fit the bill from suit & tie to hunting in the bush. I have to admit that I hated the strap and had it changed out today to a leather one with a deployment clasp.

This will be the watch that goes hunting with me in Africa.
1685832959551.png

I had two Omega Seamasters. When I was overseas, it started losing time, which I figured was due to the environment- so I took it off and placed it in my "105 box". I was injured and went to the hospital for a few weeks. On return to the unit the watch had mysteriously disappeared. the second one also was stolen from me, but it also lost time- so I tend to stay away from Omegas, although they are a very good watch.

I had two Omega Seamasters. When I was overseas, it started losing time, which I figured was due to the environment- so I took it off and placed it in my "105 box". I was injured and went to the hospital for a few weeks. On return to the unit the watch had mysteriously disappeared. the second one also was stolen from me, but it also lost time- so I tend to stay away from Omegas, although they are a very good watch.
That sucks, sorry to hear about the theft.

We are an Omega family with a total of seven between my wife and I. I posted earlier about looking at other brands, but at my core I knew it was going to be an Omega.

I've not had problems with any of them, even one that belonged to my father...a 1974 Omega Speedmaster Mk 4.5 pictured here.
1685836325196.png

16858380309345119419967611097027.jpg

No need to worry about theft. Great watch. Keeps great time, easy to read, on demand lighted dial. Best part is it costs less than thirty bucks. I have gutted at least a dozen animals wearing this watch and it seems to enjoy the taste of blood. Mind you, I rarely get blood much above my arms than that.

Edit: I see the date is wrong. I never mess with that function. If I need to know the date, I'll pull out my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you