What to look for in a Mauser 404 jeffery

RStien321

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
There is a 404 jeffery built on a 1957 mauser action for sale locally. Pacnor barrel, iron sights, nice stock, barrel band swing swivel, holds 2 in the mag, one in the chamber.

Any tips, or advice on what to be on the lookout for with a custom built rifle in this caliber?

As @Wyatt Smith said check the feeding. I would ask to take the rifle apart and check the stock for cracks in all the normal places, see if the action in bedded properly, see if it has a second recoil lug forward on the barrel, check the magazine box to see if it has been modified to work correctly with the 404. (Don't be shocked if the sides of the mag box have been machined off and the wood is part of the box, a number of early conversions did that vs rebuilding the box to correct dimensions for the 404) Check to see if it has the trigger replace with a modern one or is it still the military trigger. check the overall balance of the rifle, make sure the stock fits you or is close enough to be changed to fit you LOP. Also ask if you can have a gunsmith check the rifle for you.

Toby458 has a very nice 404J for sale in the classified section of AH.

Thanks guys! This one is ~$1500, pacnor barrel, nice walnut stock, from the video I was sent it feeds well.

I’ll check on the trigger and magazine. It seems well priced and in awesome shape. I just always get nervous around customs.

You should be nervous.
In general, you get what you pay for.
I'm with @AZDAVE, have this rifle checked out by a gunsmith you trust.
Also, I'm surprised that it only holds 2 cartridges in the magazine.

RStein321, send Shawn54 a PM. He built a 404 Jeffery on a Mauser action and I believe (but I may be incorrect) that he used a Pacnor barrel as well. He should be able to answer all of your questions.

You should be nervous.
In general, you get what you pay for.
I'm with @AZDAVE, have this rifle checked out by a gunsmith you trust.
Also, I'm surprised that it only holds 2 cartridges in the magazine.

Yeah, the two in the magazine is probably what has me the most concerned for a DG rifle.

It was posted on GB as well https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871805782

Attachments

• Screenshot (765).png
    Screenshot (765).png
    744.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot (766).png
    Screenshot (766).png
    349.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot (767).png
    Screenshot (767).png
    115.3 KB · Views: 187
Check magazine well metal if it has two bumps one either side grind them off and it should hold 3 down then they hold magazine to narrow to let third round

Just keep in mind that you are buying a used rifle.
One that could easily end up at another gunsmith for more work.
The GB ad clearly states that the action is "a bit rough".
Translation...you are gonna need deeper pockets than just the $1.5K for the rifle.

This rifle has the potential to be an excellent DG rifle, but it will most likely need additional work.
It's a very good start, but it looks to me like a work in progress IMO.
If you are looking for a "turn key" option, my guess is this ain't it.

Except to say that....aren't all our rifles a "work in progress"?
Probably so.
Let us know how it goes.

You might wish to examine the magazine . The magazines of Mauser action rifles built in the 1950s and 1960s frequently used to be built from a cheap metal alloy , as opposed to proper steel . If it is 1 of those cheap alloy magazines ... Then , it shall benefit you to replace them . Especially in a large caliber , such as the .404 Jeffery .

I would physically handle the rifle. Check the fit and eye alignment. Load the magazine and work the action to see how it feeds and EJECTS LOADED ROUNDS. If at all possible, shoot the rifle starting with a full magazine. The .404 Jeff is a snug fit in a standard Mauser and the action must be altered to accept the cartridges. Feeding, ejection, and functional magazine integrity should be checked by firing standard hunting rounds.

I would much prefer to pass on a great deal than buy a basket full of problems that need to be sorted out.

I definitely want to hear how the gun shoots and functions.

If the chamber was reamed correctly and barrel fitted properly to the action, it would be hard to get hurt at that price. PacNor is one of the barrels I would use if putting together another DG rifle. Even if it requires a little more work you're still OK since you have margin to work with so to speak. Very nice looking rifle BTW with all the right features. I too am anxious to hear how it does.

I bought this on Gunbroker. Thanks for the tips, I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

Thank you for removing the temptation! I have a Kimber Caprivi in .375 H&H and should be more focused on saving for a hunt!

We will be awaiting a full report.
Hope it works out for you.

A 404 on a 98 action can be done and WR and H&H have built a few as I recall..but not the best action to use...one in the chamber and two down sucks on a DG rifle. A proper 404 should have a drop box and hold 4 down, sometimes 5 down..Its not something I would normally hunt with in Africa or for the Big Bears of Alaska. But to each his own...

I would at least take a look at one of the Brno CZ commercial 404s with more rounds in the mag...

For that money I would have bought it had I known!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,