What rifle gives you 'The Fizz'?

Two about equal I guess but they come from the opposite ends of the spectrum. One is an original 54 caliber M1841 "Mississippi" rifle that is as simple as they come but oh so accurate and effective!
And a Winchester Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag, DOM 2003. I simply cannot find any flaws in it as a serious, modern big game rifle.

M1841 54 cal- top rifle

M 41, 42, 61, 63.JPG

M70 416 Rem- bottom rifle

450 & 416.png

Wishing for a Zoli 450/400 NE with a second set of barrels in 12ga, large frame.
with a matching gun in 9.3x74R with a second set of barrels in 7x65R, smaller frame.....

I love my Ruger No1 375 H&H with it's Leica DG scope, full of Fizz. One of these days Ill fit a red recoil pad just for that look.
I will also Fizz over my Heym 89 in 375 Flanged, but it is yet to come.

I love my Ruger No1 375 H&H with it's Leica DG scope, full of Fizz. One of these days Ill fit a red recoil pad just for that look.
I will also Fizz over my Heym 89 in 375 Flanged, but it is yet to come.

I can’t wait to see that rifle!

Jack,
Is that rifle a 673 "Guide Gun"?
No, it's a Model 600 (built circa 1968-ish).

The Remmy 673s were an early 2000s 're-do' of the 600s, built on the Model 7 platform, with 22" barrels and laminated stocks. I believe the stocks on the 673s weighed more than the 600s' birch stocks.

I like the 673s, but I'd probably cut the barrel back to 19"-20" for short range 'bush-gun'/'brush-gun' uses, which was the original concept behind the M600 in .350RM. The ideal Magnum carbine for protection while out and about in Alaska's bear-infested boonies.

Here's an old Remmy ad from the 1960s:

photo.JPG

Ruger Guide Gun 30-06. It's not fancy, unique or even particularly good looking but it fits me perfectly, killed everything I've shot with it and durable as a hammer. I have rifles that cost a LOT more money and are better looking but that '06 will be the last one left if/when the others are long gone. It's also the only 'regular' caliber bolt action rifle I have left. Everything else is chambered in something you can't normally buy off the shelf in the big box stores.

I always had a sweet spot for the M1 carbine. Owned a few but couldn't seem to hang on to them. Factory rifles, the Remington 600 vent rib version in '08 or .222.

For me its my Remington in 35 Whelen, Great looking Wood and very AccurateI bought it used from Cabela,s Bargain Basement and it was a kind of a Clunker the stock was banged up but the metal was in really nice shape. Minnesota winters last about 8 months so I thought it would make a nice winter project.After working the with the wood I wound up with a great looking rifle and after some load development an excellent shooter

View attachment 391981
@Rob404
I hope your loading that Whelen to its FULL potential not the anemic loads listed by some.
Bob
Nice looking rifles as well
My savage Whelen
20200201_135545.jpg

All my rifles give me a fizz.
My Whelen because it went to Namibia with me and I learnt how to bring out ot it's full potential.

My 25/303 Epps Newton improved. It has exceeded all my dreams of velocity and accuracy for small to medium game.

My 22 K Hornet on an original 1885 lowall that is a full cucustom build.

My model 92 Winchester in 32/20 . Just a slick little rifle that is just fun. No real use for it for hunting but it is as I said a great little fun gun
Bob

If I could only keep 1 rifle, I would keep my Marlin 880sq 22lr I bought 20+ years ago. It balances perfectly, I can carry it will 1 hand all day, and the snappy sound it makes when kick a shell out is enough to make your privates tingle a bit. At the time, it was the premium bull barrel bolt action on the market and it had a reputation of being deadly accurate. Today the same rifle is very common though.

My various other rifles and shotguns have some sentimental value as I've had them for decades or are of high astetic quality, but they don't feel like an extention of me.

I love all my guns but my fizziest is definitely my Browning BLR IN 308 Win. I just love carrying and shooting (hunting) with that rifle.

none of my rifles gives me the fizzies.
i think this must be because i am an old man.
however the ones i have came about through a lot of fizzies, and they are what is left .
these are a 223 on a custom action, a 280 rem on a dakota action, a 7mmstw on a win70, and a 9.3x64 on a mauser98.
for what i do, i can select a rifle from this group for the job in hand and just feel comfortable with an old friend.
the comfort factor, born from experience with them, beats fizz.
bruce.

Yeah, but you'll look really cool shooting it! :ROFLMAO:

Plus, it kicks less than my .404 Jeff with the 400-grainers.

View attachment 391994
i know a mennonite welder in PA that has 2 of 'em. .350 and 6.5. He'll probably sell for the right price. One has a dark walnut stock but I believe based on the bolt
it's the 600 series...

And I was initially thinking Alka-Seltzer ................ :E Shrug:

But of all the firearms that I have owned, I still marvel (now that is a good word) the most at my William Evans 12 Bore Paradox. Have never owned anything else more amazing to shoot.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore
we need to consider re-writing the jingle, just for our cause...."Bang, Bang-Fizz, Fizz, Oh What a Relief it Is!" -Alka Seltzer

Fizzle...7x57 Ackley Improved (have the companion 257 AI as well-love 'em both and excellent shooters!) Montana action, custom SS bbl, Timney trigger, bedded, silver's pad. Phenomenal! Not far behind a 7mm mag and beats the 280 AI. Best efficiency gains by improving the 757 case. Shots are the first two different test loads per P.O. Ackley's recommendations. What I want, first and foremost are ACCURATE rifles. The fact that they may be pretty are icing on the cake, with lotsa candles that fizzle!
IMG_20191002_200545965~2.jpg
IMG_20190921_174956532~2.jpg
IMG_20190923_151018999~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two about equal I guess but they come from the opposite ends of the spectrum. One is an original 54 caliber M1841 "Mississippi" rifle that is as simple as they come but oh so accurate and effective!
And a Winchester Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag, DOM 2003. I simply cannot find any flaws in it as a serious, modern big game rifle.

M1841 54 cal- top rifle

View attachment 392000

M70 416 Rem- bottom rifle

View attachment 392001
Love that model 1851! Have a "fizzer" or two from that era that I need to post as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg