What rifle gives you 'The Fizz'?

l have a few that give me the Fizz
but after looking at the lee speeds posted up l would say this one gives me the fizz to shoot
it belongs to a very good mate who lets me shoot it from time to time
to be honest l should go halves with him if he ever re-barrels it
it is in perfect condition with all the original parts he has included buff horn tip, cap and butt plate

View attachment 431454View attachment 431455View attachment 431456
What model is the Mannlicher?

My "next" rifle will always give me the FIZZ. :cool:

CW mate ya hafta lay off the Hope 18% Rhino and go back to Carlton middy or something - strewth !
i re-read that and it was even funnier the 2nd time! somewhat truthful, too. ;)

it will never outperform the 280 ackley loaded to the same pressure, all things being equal.
it is definitely more efficient, but less powerful.
bruce.
I hope not, I built a .280ai on input from Bruce and others, plus a ton of research to satisfy myself the opinion I formed was right.
anything that did not support what I wanted to hear may have been disregarded.
myra sports store in broken hill used to do 303/35s on lee enfield actions for pig shooting, and riverbrand ammunition of adelaide loaded ammunition for it using reloaded military 303 brass.
bruce.

I looked up the Adelaide ammo website and the firm is still going but no sign of the 35-303 ammo or bullets. Myra Sports Broken Hill appears to have gone. I found some approx ballistics for the .303 conversion, 225gr @ 2250fps (2529fp energy) quite modest & suitable as a scrub gun for pigs etc. the Whelen has the edge with velocity and energy. Two different 35's in two different cases - the Whelen with the larger capacity case. interesting stuff. cheers
Myra’s Sports store was running in the early 90’s Arthur Langsford was a gunsmith and and tried several prototypes that may have been the precursor to the .17mach 2 and the .17 HMR.

these were the Tiniest Mite and the mini Mite. The worlds fastest rim fire of the time. Tested and officially recorded in Canberra.
He relayed that and many other stories to me when I was in my teens over the years.
I purchased a few rifles from him before he sold to another local Greg Higgins who later moved the store from the Oriental Arcade into the Main Street. The store closed several years later.

enough on that, on this thread

Gives me the Fizz, I wasn’t sure what you meant but even Aussies have a little local dialect.

First thought, I might have thought you meant what rifle gives you the shits. None but some were upgraded.

For me I might say my my Elephant Gun, a CZ 550 IN .375 H&H

Why? Because it’s my only Big Bore or Safari rifle. A true Blued and Walnut hunting rifle.
I get a kick out of shooting it and it puts a smile on my face when I do.

If it had a barrel band it would “Give me the Fizz” in a good way.

Now I feel like watching The Ghost and The Darkness, again.

Great idea for a thread.

My Parker hale in 30-06 with arch angel stock , smooth , effective, and lovely . If I could I take more pictures .
7DDE6F65-6F9F-424C-B334-625AE1652CDA.jpeg

Last edited:
First time I took my Sabatti 500 NE to a public range when the shutdown came I forgot to leave it open on the bench. When the safety checker came by he noticed it was not open and said you need to open the shotgun. I responded it is not a shotgun; it is a 500 Nitro express. He stopped and stared at it. Within a few seconds there were several of them standing and staring at it. Then I heard one remark, "I want to shoot it"!
Another day they were announcing sight in day at another nearby range. I mentioned whether I should take my 500 NE DR over to have them sight it in for me. That got a lot of laughs.
Holding and feeling the heft of a rifle with big holes in the barrel(s) just gives a good feeling.

i thought riverbrand went the way of the dinosaurs not long after its owner died.
will look it up.
the 303/35s would not have been loaded hot, and might from memory have used lighter bullets as well.
the myra version might well have differed from the territorian.
bruce.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Do you know anything about the .303-35?

I found out last night my mate has one. I had not heard of it but he said Myra's Sports store bored out the barrels to make these. We didn't get too far into the specs etc but I will try get a look at it sometime.

Does anyone have dies?

Does anyone else know much about a .303-35?

Myra's Sports store would have changed hands in about 1992 give or take. I bought a few things from the original owner Arthur Langsford. He was a good old bloke and always happy to answer questions.

I think the best .303 conversion in Australia is the .303-25 (257). It will knock over everything from foxes to deer. I bet there's more than one poster on this forum who has or had one.

The .303-25 was fairly common on surplus rifles and widely used in Australia.
I'm probably a generation to late for it as modern stuff took over but I think I could source one easily if I looked online.

My 3 x ZKK 602 Brno rifles....

I would like to fondle a Blaser BBF 9.3×74R/6.5×57R with another set of barrels in 12ga/7×57R.
As well as a Blaser K95 in 7x65R.......

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Do you know anything about the .303-35?

I found out last night my mate has one. I had not heard of it but he said Myra's Sports store bored out the barrels to make these. We didn't get too far into the specs etc but I will try get a look at it sometime.

Does anyone have dies?

Does anyone else know much about a .303-35?

Myra's Sports store would have changed hands in about 1992 give or take. I bought a few things from the original owner Arthur Langsford. He was a good old bloke and always happy to answer questions.

The .303-25 was fairly common on surplus rifles and widely used in Australia.
I'm probably a generation to late for it as modern stuff took over but I think I could source one easily if I looked online.
@CBH Australia
Chris the 35-303 is also known as the 35 Terratorian. It's the 303 case necked up to 35 csl and equivalent to the old 38-55 in power. It was used in the Northern Territory for big game like buffalo years ago but was rather underpowered.
A person I know has dies for the 35-303 improved and can be loaded to equal the 358 Winchester.
My calculations show that if I used my modified 303 case design it would be almost the equivalent of the Whelen in a front locking action.
The improved version is fully the equal of Ted Mitchell's 358 Mitchell Express and he uses it very successfully on scrub bulls and buffalo.

The old 25-303 on the No1 action is equal to the old 250 Savage and built on the No4 smle action will equal the 257 Roberts. So even on a No1 action it's a BETTER round than the 243. Set up properly the old SMLE is capable of fine accuracy. My 25 EPPS on a No4 action will group .75 inches all day.
The problem is the old conversions had a 1:12 twist that would only stabilize a 100gn projectiles but with a 1:10 twist it will stabilize bullets up to 120grains.
If you can get hold of an old 25 for the right price give it a go you will be surprised. Nick Grennin has an old No1 that groups 0.5" snd less with his handloads that he has won field rifle competitions with on a regular basis and is his go to fallow rifle loaded with 100 grainers or the 80gn ttsx.
Hope this helps you.
Bob

I think the most perfectly balanced and built rifle for me is my .300 Jarrett built by Thomas “Speedy” Gonzales. It doesn’t hurt that it is a true one hole rifle under .25 MOA.

Attachments

• E7E2C675-B3C9-4898-9C52-F2B0AA0C4E37.jpeg
    E7E2C675-B3C9-4898-9C52-F2B0AA0C4E37.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 37
  • EA1CCE17-620C-4929-A486-DFC69FE52887.jpeg
    EA1CCE17-620C-4929-A486-DFC69FE52887.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3F7EF7A1-8945-4039-BA7B-E54F83B6EF07.jpeg
    3F7EF7A1-8945-4039-BA7B-E54F83B6EF07.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 37
Hey guys,

What rifle do you own that gives you 'The Fizz'?
By The Fizz I mean makes you feel just awesome holding and using it...

And it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive it just has to be 'just right' in your eyes...

For example, the rifle that gives me 'The Fizz' is my Zastava M70 in .458 Winchester Magnum.
It's fitted with a Hogue stock (with the full aluminium bedding block) and a Leupold 1.5-4 scope in Warne bases and rings.
It's really accurate, feeds and ejects perfect straight out the box, it's reliable and at 9lb, not too heavy.
The Hogue stock is stiff and grippy in all weather conditions and as a bonus, It also soaks up recoil really well.
This rifle fits me perfectly and it's in my favourite caliber, the .458
I'm feeding it a handload with the 550gn Woodleigh at just under 2100fps - and I would feel supremely confident with this rifle and load against any animal anywhere in the world.

It certainly gives me 'The Fizz'!

Would love to hear what rifles give all you "The Fizz' and why...

Cheers,

Russ

View attachment 391920

My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. Then when I shoot it, it knocks the fizz out of me lol

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!