What rifle gives you 'The Fizz'?

Fizzle...7x57 Ackley Improved (have the companion 257 AI as well-love 'em both and excellent shooters!) Montana action, custom SS bbl, Timney trigger, bedded, silver's pad. Phenomenal! Not far behind a 7mm mag and beats the 280 AI. Best efficiency gains by improving the 757 case. Shots are the first two different test loads per P.O. Ackley's recommendations. What I want, first and foremost are ACCURATE rifles. The fact that they may be pretty are icing on the cake, with lotsa candles that fizzle!
how does the 7x57 ackley beat the 280 ackley loaded to the same pressure?
and don't say more efficient, because then a 7/08 improved would be better again, and a 7mm/250/3000 would even be better again.
bruce.

I believe I'm starting to understand what the fizz is... This is one of my great-grandfather's and great great grandfathers 45 caliber percussion plains rifle used to harvest elk deer and mountain Lion in PA and more recently the deer on the left in the 1970s when my great-grandfather first took me hunting as a 3-year-old! That's my g. great grandfather with the rifle in the photo and my great-grandfather standing in the doorway of their hunting cabin. Our family still owns the land today. The gun was built using a bell action from London and was re-barreled several times by some gunsmith in Wilkes-Barre PA. The antique guns shown above reminded me of the fizziest of the fizz!!
IMG_20210307_195617.jpg

Last edited:
how does the 7x57 ackley beat the 280 ackley loaded to the same pressure?
and don't say more efficient, because then a 7/08 improved would be better again, and a 7mm/250/3000 would even be better again.
bruce.
it is def higher pressure. with 53 gr of power, it outperforms the 280 AI using 63ish gr and virtually no recoil for long shots. 'Nothing wrong w/ the 06 case (copied and improvised by Browning from Mauser.) Although the AI'ed 757 cases are SA and can be used in a smaller mtn rifle package, I prefer to use LAs as the bullets can be seated farther out and precious powder capacity maximized. I'm with P.O. when it comes to "pressure." P=V! Some high pressure rigs need to be curtailed a bit in hot weather. That i understand. IMR7828 is finicky that way, but never an issue with 4350ish varieties (Varget, etc.).

i know a mennonite welder in PA that has 2 of 'em. .350 and 6.5. He'll probably sell for the right price. One has a dark walnut stock but I believe based on the bolt
it's the 600 series...
Well, if his .350RM is a M600, see if you can get some pics and PM them to me.

Looking for 'Excellent Condition' or better.

ok. i go up there ev 2 weeks or so (old fam farm) and when i see him i will...last i saw it, it was used as a hunting gun by his dad and later he....it's not a safe queen, it showed wear but looked just fine. no factory rem gun is a safe queen. i'm not too fond of the modern rem products (didn't they close their doors?) 'shot plenty of deer on the move w/ a 3006 7600 pump 18.5" and have often thought of bringing it to africa for bouncy, fizzy plains game (gazelles, etc.) Never take your eye off the sights and it reloads itself upon firing.

it is def higher pressure. with 53 gr of power, it outperforms the 280 AI using 63ish gr and virtually no recoil for long shots. 'Nothing wrong w/ the 06 case (copied and improvised by Browning from Mauser.) Although the AI'ed 757 cases are SA and can be used in a smaller mtn rifle package, I prefer to use LAs as the bullets can be seated farther out and precious powder capacity maximized. I'm with P.O. when it comes to "pressure." P=V! Some high pressure rigs need to be curtailed a bit in hot weather. That i understand. IMR7828 is finicky that way, but never an issue with 4350ish varieties (Varget, etc.).
it will never outperform the 280 ackley loaded to the same pressure, all things being equal.
it is definitely more efficient, but less powerful.
bruce.

Lately? My R8 (thumbhole stock) with the .22 LR barrel and a swaro scope. When I pick it up I know I am on vacation and about to go on a mini adventure. This last year of limited travel has me appreciating the backyard squirrel hunts more than ever. We also take some evenings off from elk/deer hunting in MT and Idaho and go look for grouse and squirrels. It is low pressure fun, and with my same rifle at nearly the same weight as my other barrels.

I like the weight and balance of my 318 WR drop lock. It just feels right in the hands, is a pleasure to carry, and comes up just right.

In a bolt gun, it’s probably my 333 Jeffery. It doesn’t need a magnum length action, but it makes it a pleasure to shoot.

Many think the mid bores are lost in the middle, between a flat shooting 300 and a sufficient 375. I really like them.
A17FBE76-FA4E-4EAA-AB51-B513570358C2.jpeg
060DA3CA-FD68-453E-BDBB-9072FC3BC9CD.jpeg

Hey guys,

What rifle do you own that gives you 'The Fizz'?
By The Fizz I mean makes you feel just awesome holding and using it...

And it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive it just has to be 'just right' in your eyes...

For example, the rifle that gives me 'The Fizz' is my Zastava M70 in .458 Winchester Magnum.
It's fitted with a Hogue stock (with the full aluminium bedding block) and a Leupold 1.5-4 scope in Warne bases and rings.
It's really accurate, feeds and ejects perfect straight out the box, it's reliable and at 9lb, not too heavy.
The Hogue stock is stiff and grippy in all weather conditions and as a bonus, It also soaks up recoil really well.
This rifle fits me perfectly and it's in my favourite caliber, the .458
I'm feeding it a handload with the 550gn Woodleigh at just under 2100fps - and I would feel supremely confident with this rifle and load against any animal anywhere in the world.

It certainly gives me 'The Fizz'!

Would love to hear what rifles give all you "The Fizz' and why...

Cheers,

Russ

View attachment 391920
Easy, my Blaser R8 Professional Success in Stingray leather with .375 Ruger, 6.5 PRC, and .300 Win Mag barrels. It’s balance, accuracy, and versatility set it apart from anything I’ve owned.

I surprised myself the more I thought about this answer, but this is always the first gun I grab for nearly everything at home without thinking twice and it never seems to let me down. My tikka t3x in 223 Remington with a simple 3x9 Leupold scope.
2F566C86-77E9-4790-A3B5-D70816ED3F5B.jpeg

I had to think on this some, so many give me the warm and fuzzies, but which one in particular? It came to me. A few years ago I stumbled on to a fine old London Small Arms Long Lee Enfield factory sporter that literally reeks of history! Its something over a century old, works beautifully, shoots extremely well with Express sights and just really has that something. It actually smells like it just came out of a gun cabinet in some officers club in some far away land, like Africa or India; I can almost smell the fine cigar and pipe smoke in its wood stocks.
It is one I shall never part with.
IMG_2808.JPG

I had to think on this some, so many give me the warm and fuzzies, but which one in particular? It came to me. A few years ago I stumbled on to a fine old London Small Arms Long Lee Enfield factory sporter that literally reeks of history! Its something over a century old, works beautifully, shoots extremely well with Express sights and just really has that something. It actually smells like it just came out of a gun cabinet in some officers club in some far away land, like Africa or India; I can almost smell the fine cigar and pipe smoke in its wood stocks.
It is one I shall never part with.
View attachment 392114
Serious "Ghost and the Darkness" stuff! Love mine as well - bits and pieces of other souls live in such rifles. :A Way To Go:

gun11.jpg

Thats a beautiful rifle Joe!

Oh my yes one of my favorite firearms & was going to post one of them up but picked the Double .

I have a lot of Lee Speeds & BSA Sporters, here is one of my High spec ones, A Beesley in .375Ex

My Beesly .375Ex Lee Speed  (2).jpg

My Beesly .375Ex Lee Speed -.jpg

Gorgeous rifle!

As Austrailia is the smallest continent of the 7, perhaps translating succinctly "The Fizz," is in order? When i read fizz i think a soda or beer opening (which typically does get people excited, but??) What fizzes? All of my guns fizz my fizzle, or I wouldn't have purchased them in the 1st place! :p Olivia Newton-John used to give us the Fizz, i think? Foaming of the mouth?? Crikies! G'day.
CW mate ya hafta lay off the Hope 18% Rhino and go back to Carlton middy or something - strewth !

Thought I would bung up a pic or four of my Westley Richards .375Ex as well, cool old rifle with Buffalo Horn bolt knob .

Would be great to find a WR done on the 1910 action !

My WR in 375EX.jpg

My WR in 375EX-.jpg

My WR in 375EX-+.JPG

My WR in 375EX-+=.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber