What is your gear?

Philip: A great list! I left out my leatherman multi tool that is in my pack in the truck. An essential.

mdwest: Gee, another guy with the "my issue gear hasn't worn out yet" pack list. Which works for me! Thanks for stopping by.

375 Ruger Fan: A great succinct list. I especially like the handoff Carhartt jacket.

Ryan: A great list. I didn't mention my Triple K leather cartridge holder on my right side. 10 rounds, 270 grainers point down solids point up so I can tell by feel, holds everything just fine.

Just got an email from African Sporting creations. Gear I've just got to have.

Advertising a "culling belt" in .500 NE!!!! I'm going to get one. I figure I'm good for at least 40 or 50 rounds of .500 NE before I should start worrying.
Start shooting quick so you reduce the weight of the bloody thing! ;)

rinehart: I have to love a guy who picks the military gear that works. If I may ask, where did you hunt here in my native state?

Clothes:
Shirt: Boyt Harness medium weight cotton. Two shirts: tan and olive green. Undershirts: Calvin Klein micro-fiber. Wicks fantastically well.

Jacket: Boyt Harness Safari Jacket, Boyt Harness Safari Vest. These are medium to heavy weight unlined cotton jackets with plenty of pockets. I prefer the way the vest hangs, particularly since it has a "fanny pack" pocket in the lower back that's perfect for a quick-detached scope, maybe a sandwich, small binoculars, bottle of water, etc. The jacket is perfect for busting through heavy acacia thorns being just thick enough to ward most of them off.

The jacket is also my favorite go-to jacket for travel and wearing around the house. For what it's worth, the inner lower jacket pocket is just big enough to hold a 9.7" IPad. Perfect for going through airports.

I also bring an ancient fleece REI jacket as a warmth layer. A buff and a smart wool beanie for cold mornings.

Boots: Merrill light hikers. Take your pick... and Superfeet insoles. I prefer no goretex with a leather toe...mesh breathable sides and a sole stiffer than the Moab's but not like an old-school hiker.

Boyt Harness gators. Low, ankle height.

Socks: Thorlo Hiking. Best socks I've ever worn.

Hat: Tilley Airflow or REI Sahara. I prefer the colors of the Sahara more...but the Tilley is a better hat no question.

Pants: Prana Stretch Zion. Most comfortable, breathable, flexible pants I own. I have five pairs of these now and love them.

Belt: Arcteryx Conveyer Belt. Wide enough to be supportive, light enough to not be burdensome, just vertically stiff enough to be perfect for shell carriers.

Binoculars: Zeiss Victory 10x32. I also have 8x32's. I'm torn between which I like more...though I tend to carry the 10's more often. For Africa I've also thought of changing to a true pocket style 8x20.

Knife: Swiss Mini-Champ. It's got a small nail file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers...and the ever necessary bottle opener. I have no need at all for a larger knife.

Misc.: 1/4 cut Costco Yellow Micro-fiber rag. Perfect for cleaning glasses or blowing my nose.
Texas Hunt Co. 5-shot belt shell holder, widely spaced shell holders, +1 spare round in the pocket for a total of 7 rounds (w/ one in the chamber)
Nivea lip-balm, eye-drops
Couple bandaids (*no, I mean like two, anything else is in the car)
Watch: Timex Ironman.
Sunglasses: sometimes yes...sometimes no. But Maui Jim when yes.

Camera: Olympus Tough TG4 in the pocket.

Rifle: I'm very fond of my Merkel K1 in 7mm RMag, topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36, duplex reticle. 6.5# with a round in the chamber. I use a Sporting Creations lightweight removable sling. I also keep a couple of 3" wraps of electrical tape on the barrel of the rifle, and keep the barrel sealed with the tape to keep out twigs and thorns.

rnovi: That is a great list of great gear! I have to agree with the often overlooked lip balm, it is an essential. Thanks for playing along!

Velo:
Fun and informative as always. BTW is your screen name any reference to the 5.5 velo dog cartridge?

Thanks and yezzer, my screen name is indeed borrowed from the historically insignificant, not to mention miniature in size, "Velocipede Anti-Dog" revolver and cartridge.
When I signed up I tried to register as "Aardvark", because my last name is Ard and Aardvark has been my nick name since the first grade, through my former career and still known as same, according to my friends and sometimes even according to my own wife.
However, the forum computer system would not let me use that one, indicating it had already been taken (even though I have yet to see anything posted by the clever imposter - LOL).
So, after a month or two of crying myself to sleep every night, I finally pulled myself together and chose, "Velo Dog", as the best I could do.

Last edited:
Thanks and yezzer, my screen name is indeed borrowed from the historically insignificant, not to mention miniature in size, "Velocipede Anti-Dog" revolver and cartridge.
When I signed up I tried to register as "Aardvark", because my last name is Ard and Aardvark has been my nick name since the first grade, through my former career and still known as same, according to my friends and sometimes even according to my own wife.
However, the forum computer system would not let me use that one, indicating it had already been taken (even though I have yet to see anything posted by the clever imposter - LOL).
So, after a month or two of crying myself to sleep every night, I finally pulled myself together and chose, "Velo Dog", as the best I could do.

LOL! You should appeal the the mighty and all powerful moderators to delete the rouges account so that you can resume your proper identity. Also, who knows. we may spark a renewed interest in the 5.5 Velo dog! Thanks for stopping by!

LOL! You should appeal the the mighty and all powerful moderators to delete the rouges account so that you can resume your proper identity. Also, who knows. we may spark a renewed interest in the 5.5 Velo dog! Thanks for stopping by!

Well if it really meant anything, I would perhaps ask for the name change.
But it really is insignificant.
Besides, if I changed my screen name now, who's initials then would Mr. Spike.T have to inspire his sexual harassment posts around here ?
So, I expect I'll just leave my screen name as it is, no worries.

Wait! I forgot one more critical item. And I mean critical!

81npOD%2BK8aL._SY679SX313_SY679_CR,0,0,313,679_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX313_SY679_CR,0,0,313,679_SH20_.jpg

PRICELESS.

:A Banana:

Attachments

• 81npOD%2BK8aL._SY679SX313_SY679_CR,0,0,313,679_PIbundle-12,TopRight,.jpg
    81npOD%2BK8aL._SY679SX313_SY679_CR,0,0,313,679_PIbundle-12,TopRight,.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineT

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!