What is the worst rifle you have ever owned?

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
What is the worst rifle you have ever owned? By that I mean a rifle that is full of issues, shoots patterns, etc. OK, I am going to post mine.

The worst rifle I have ever owned was a Marlin 336 CS in .35 Rem. It was a nice rifle and it had a williams peep sight. So me & my dad took it to the range and it consistently shot 5-7 inch groups at 50 yards with Remington 200 grain core-lokts. My dad looked it over and couldn't really find anything wrong with it exept that 2 screws on the cartridge tube were way to tight (which can affect accurace with lever guns). So he fixed that problem and it still shot 5-7 inch groups at 50 yards. So we sold it to a guy. We told the guy what was wrong with it but he still gave us 325 $.

So, what rifle was the worst you ever owned?

My worst rifle to date is my second CZ 550 in .416. The first one was claimed at the border of Zimbabwe in 2004 because it was presidents day. Whatever. I came back and bought a new one but CZ then changed the model to a CZ American and it was crap. It would not cycle smoothly and also would not hold a pattern. I shot 4 boxes of ammo and couldnt stop the random flyers. I had it recrowned and finally obtained some consistency. Then, the foreend was cracked from the sling lug forward. I took it to Zim but was afraid to rely on it. So...I recently sent it to AHR for one of teh upgrade packages. I have not received it back yet but have high hopes.

What was wrong with it? Did it shoot patterns? Was there something wrong with that made you want to bang it up against a tree.:)

What wasn't wrong with it! Would not feed and was inaccurate, fell apart and I had to send it off for service repair! Finally sold it off!

Christian,

The worst rifle I owned was .22 semi by Sterling , damn thing even in the vice grip rest would not shoot a group, had micro grooves with 22 " barrel. Never could decipher what was wrong, but the rifles gone now...

Monish

my worst was a .22 sub machine gun it backfired/blew or burnt my friends hand can't remember which 1

The worst rifle I had and still have is a 223Rem built by Musgrave. It was a present by my dad when I was 12. So the rifle was made for kids! I still laugh at the idea that will make most mothers crinch for the rifle is called a MINI. It is fitted with what I think is called a 94 action or lyttleton action. Because it’s a push feed it doesn’t grip the round when it leaves the magazine. This is where the problem starts, the magazine feeds poorly and if not accustomed to the rifle one tends to think it dint feed and then force another round into the breach. Then you’re stuck. Sounds odd? But take into consideration that this is my culling rifle and most hunting is done at night. It is fitted with a suppressor and military rounds are used for culling which makes it a fine choice in calibre. I would love to throw this rifle into the sea. Never to annoy anybody again and get myself a new one. But because of gun laws I have forced myself to get around these problems. But I fear the end for this rifle is growing near. Long live the 98K Mauser!

Christian,

The worst rifle I owned was .22 semi by Sterling , damn thing even in the vice grip rest would not shoot a group, had micro grooves with 22 " barrel. Never could decipher what was wrong, but the rifles gone now...

Monish
Did you say it had a micro groove rifling? Micro groove rifling is terrible. A lot of times it only shoots lead cast bullets accurately.

Mine was a 300 Savage, the lever action one , The firing pin was undependable, my two worst hunting experiences were with that rifle in my shoulder, I literally trow it away in damn in my grand parent ranch, I pray it will rot in the dark bottom waters.

Mine was a 300 Savage, the lever action one , The firing pin was undependable, my two worst hunting experiences were with that rifle in my shoulder, I literally trow it away in damn in my grand parent ranch, I pray it will rot in the dark bottom waters.
You threw a model 99 Savage in a dam because it had a bad firing pin? Why didn't you just replace the firing pin? You could've replaced the firing pin and had a nice rifle. And if you didn't want to do that you could've gave it to someone and they would've replaced the firing pin. It would've been far better to give it away then to throw it in a dam.

Christian,

Yes the rifling was bit similar to the Merlin .22s, but the rifle never shot straight , thank my stars its no more in my gunrack........

Monish

Christian,

Yes the rifling was bit similar to the Merlin .22s, but the rifle never shot straight , thank my stars its no more in my gunrack........

Monish
My dad has had some good experiences with micro groove rifling and some bad. A few of his Marlin 336's shoot good groups and others shot poor groups. The .35 Rem. that I listed in my original post also had micro groove rifling. So, it appears that micro groove rifling has consistency issues. One rifle you buy shoots good, the next poorly.

BTW, Marlin uses micro groove rifling in there lever actions also.

Last edited:
My worst rifle was a Savage bolt rifle that fired decent (not great) groups but did not eject fired cases on any regular basis. Even a gunsmith couldn't get it to be reliable. Cheaply made and rough. The "accutrigger" functioned OK, but I did not like it at all.

My worst gun...was a 20 gauge Mossberg pump action, The action would jam all the time and the stock cracked if you looked at it...sold it for $80...even after I mentioned all the problems...The new owner...grew to hate it too (lol).

Never will buy another Mossberg!!!! Junk...better to buy a Remington or Browning!!!!

My worst rifle was a Savage bolt rifle that fired decent (not great) groups but did not eject fired cases on any regular basis. Even a gunsmith couldn't get it to be reliable. Cheaply made and rough. The "accutrigger" functioned OK, but I did not like it at all.
I have only had good experiences with Savage. I have owned 3 savage rifles in .22 L.R, .22-250, and .243 Win and all 3 of them could shoot very well. I currently have my Savage MKII in .22 L.R and that is my chuck slayer. Also, none of these rifles had accutriggers.

My worst gun...was a 20 gauge Mossberg pump action, The action would jam all the time and the stock cracked if you looked at it...sold it for $80...even after I mentioned all the problems...The new owner...grew to hate it too (lol).

Never will buy another Mossberg!!!! Junk...better to buy a Remington or Browning!!!!
I used to own a Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge. I liked it but it had an issue, the metal pin that the trigger pivoted off of would bend into a boomerang, because of pressure from pulling the trigger. And when it would did this the trigger became almost inoperable. It happened 2 times and both times my dad fixed it, but we eventually sold it for 75 $ because of this issue.

I have owned alot of guns and in most of them found a tread of somthing I liked in them, but clearly one of the worst POS I ever had was 7 stw (built on a winchester M70) by a good maker that will remain nameless. It shot like shit, stock paint flaked, and scope mounts were crap. It was truly a POS. The maker wanted it back and offered to fix it--as he knew what kind of crap it was.

I also owned a Weatherby Accumark in a 30-378. Nothing wrong with the gun. It was accurate, well built, and deadly but... that has to be the most obnoxius round in existance! I'm not a fan!

I have become a staunch fan of Sauers/Blaser/Mauser/Steyr... they are consistant and their fit and finish is above par. I really like the takedown advantge of the rifles. I still like my A-square's too... little ugly but they work!!!!

I have owned alot of guns and in most of them found a tread of somthing I liked in them, but clearly one of the worst POS I ever had was 7 stw (built on a winchester M70) by a good maker that will remain nameless. It shot like shit, stock paint flaked, and scope mounts were crap. It was truly a POS. The maker wanted it back and offered to fix it--as he knew what kind of crap it was.

I also owned a Weatherby Accumark in a 30-378. Nothing wrong with the gun. It was accurate, well built, and deadly but... that has to be the most obnoxius round in existance! I'm not a fan!

I have become a staunch fan of Sauers/Blaser/Mauser/Steyr... they are consistant and their fit and finish is above par. I really like the takedown advantge of the rifles. I still like my A-square's too... little ugly but they work!!!!
That 7MM STW sure sounds like a peice of crap. Did you get your money back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg