What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

As a client hunter in Africa, a simple small folding knife on your belt is sufficient. This knife will primarily be used for a meal break in the bush. For the hard bloody work on hunted game, you have a team that takes care of it. Participation in skinning can be interpreted in different ways, not always positively as the team wants to do their work in order to get paid and especially get tips.

I have rarely drawn and eviscerated game in Africa, except a few antelopes that I shot alone, only accompanied by a local guide. In one case, while we were waiting for hours for the car that had to pick us and the hunted buffalo, I helped a tracker to skin the buffalo and to begin remove part of the legs. The crew took over the rest of the work when they arrived. This all was easy to do with a folding knife with a not too long but wide blade.

Anyone as client who has a big knife on their belt is living their dream as a great African hunter, but nowadays it's all very far from the reality. In addition, a nice big knife can in Africa arouse the desire of individual team members to have it.
Good points, I'm also thinking in these lines as to why carry a dandy big knife and have no use of it,but have a swiss utility knife that can come in handy

...Am I missing something, please educate me..
To cut the tail of the elephant. I do carry a folding knife, but the big one stays in the day pack and comes out for that specific purpose. Here are some examples over the years.

1707149927727.jpeg

1707150069075.png
1707150182274.png
1707150274515.jpeg

We are on exactly the same page. I wear cargo shorts or longs and carry an Opinel No7 carbone in the left thigh pouch and Swarovski 7x20 binos in the right. Bullets in hoops above my left shirt pocket. All so light and minimal that you don’t even notine they are there.
You are a smart man..

Yes, but when you go to town, have lunch, buy diesel or recline in camp the hunting rifle is not with you.

As opposed to Redleg I also did not spend a career in the military, and can only assume our self defence skills with a knife is chalk and cheese…
Again my question of carrying is limited to the bush and bush only, not while going out to town, travelling by car, eating out etc. I have no intention of getting into a knife fight with a two legged critter who is armed and dangerous.

Victorinox Swisschamp in my backpack.

Victorinox Sentinel on my belt.

On my last safari, I was the only one with a knife while stalking game.

I was asked to borrow it at least twice!

Hat, shirt, pants, belt, boots, knife. Every day, safari or not. Will I need it on safari? Most of the time probably not, but it sure came in handy for digging a nasty thorn out that happened to jam itself through the leather of my boot. Tough one. Yes I could use someone else's knife...but I know where mine has been.

I live with a knife on my belt every day because I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Safari is no different.

Two words: Harry Wolhuter:LOL:

I did always carry a Glock Bayonet whilst hunting Bushpigs over hounds, but have since just upgraded to a Glock...

Always have a Leatherman Wave on me as well as a Honey Badger folding knife.

I can see the potential utility of having a knife to cut biltong ... but a chainsaw might be a better tool! I politely partake when offered biltong but have never acquired a taste for the stuff. Lunch for me in the field is usually half a ham and cheese sandwich with no mayo. I don't need a knife to cut anything. Fortunately, I have yet to put a thorn through my boot but can certainly see how that could be an issue. I'll be adding my mini multitool to my packing list. It is small enough to fit in the pocket of my shirt.

Except when sleeping, I carry a Leatherman, Flashlight & pocket knife 95% of the year & so they go to Africa with me, I've loaned Leatherman to PH a few times when he did not have pliers handy, I don't plan on skinning anything on guided hunt.

Biltong and dry wors are the snacks of gods !!!!
Never go more than a few days without my fill !!!
Cant live without it

This is in my daily carry
1. spyderco serrated edge
2. a gerber dime mini multi tool
3 PA light mini flash light ( 700 hours on a 9v )

it’s all very lite in the pocket and invaluable for me on a hunting trip or daily life View attachment 585118
Ohoo like that torch might have a look for one of those.

I rather carry a roll of toilet paper than a big sheathed knife when I'm in the field in Africa.
It can literally save your ass :)

On my last safari, I was the only one with a knife while stalking game.

I was asked to borrow it at least twice!
if i carried a knife all the way from Georgia to Africa ,i would rent it out!

I've said before...this is my Safari Knife - a Victorinox Swiss Mini-Champ.

The PH will have a ton of tools and knives in the Bakkie. There's really just no reason to carry anything else that equates to more than personal grooming really.
1707166188124.png

Go as light as possible to keep up with your PH. Make it as easy and simple as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you