What is the dumbest thing you ever did to damage a brand new gun?

My brand new Heym 88B in 9.3x74 got beat to hell on the stock by the trackers pushing the rack on to the stock. Even though it was in a soft case. By the time I noticed the stock had divots in it and scratches.

I sent it to JJ to see if he can fix it.
Boy that must hurt, I hope JJ can fix it.

I made a vertical gun rack our of wood to go on the back of the Land Rover. The soft padding came off and the result was a deep rub mark on the forend of my Ruger No1. I really try to look after my stuff, I could have kicked myself and cried at the same time.

My brand new Heym 88B in 9.3x74 got beat to hell on the stock by the trackers pushing the rack on to the stock. Even though it was in a soft case. By the time I noticed the stock had divots in it and scratches.

I sent it to JJ to see if he can fix it.

Hi Tanks, can you elaborate a bit more on that? I have a hard time picturing what happened.

Just trying to find out all the potential avoidable hazards to my future double, when I take it to Africa.

Already picked up:

When having the rifle hanging from your shoulder, not to have a buckle rubbing it from @Primal

Not leaning it against a wall, a vehicle or just about anything, from many people ;)

not to wear the ammo carrier on the right side, when the double is hanging on the right too from @chashardy

Well attaching the shoulder strap from @Bert the Turtle

Checking the padding on the rifle holder rack from @Kevin Peacocke

Hope there will be more tips!

Letting someone else shoot it, set it down on the ground and putting a big scratch in it.
they did get a tremendous Oryx (on their Birthday, no less,) so i just had to jump around and curse w/ my mouth shut (all men have experienced this. esp. the married ones!) LOL now-that was >10 yrs ago. i still see the scratch, though :(

Well I carved on one with a rock so add don’t be a clumsy oaf to that list.

I made a vertical gun rack our of wood to go on the back of the Land Rover. The soft padding came off and the result was a deep rub mark on the forend of my Ruger No1. I really try to look after my stuff, I could have kicked myself and cried at the same time.
'took a metalworking class to better my welding skills at ~age 15ish...'made a beautiful black steel gun rack and then realized-i don't want to put ANY of my guns in this (for fear of scratching!) 'found it while helping my mom clean out her basement not too long ago (covered w/ dust.) do they make black, adhesive-backed felt?

Hi Tanks, can you elaborate a bit more on that? I have a hard time picturing what happened.
The rifle was in a soft case, the soft case was put in a horizontal rack that was at the back of the cab. They pushed the rack holders into the case to make it more secure that they created divots on the stock. Also, they pushed the sling into the stock and scratched the stock up.

This after I had instructed them on how to do it right. Eventually I started carrying the double in the cab of the truck (dual cab). I deducted $80 per person from the tip I was going to give to the trackers to cover the cost of the fix though it will cover only half the cost based on the quote from JJ.

Just trying to find out all the potential avoidable hazards to my future double, when I take it to Africa.

Already picked up:

When having the rifle hanging from your shoulder, not to have a buckle rubbing it from @Primal

Not leaning it against a wall, a vehicle or just about anything, from many people ;)

not to wear the ammo carrier on the right side, when the double is hanging on the right too from @chashardy

Well attaching the shoulder strap from @Bert the Turtle

Checking the padding on the rifle holder rack from @Kevin Peacocke

Hope there will be more tips!
@VertigoBE, I have decided that when my new Heym comes it will ride in a slim line gun case, just as easy to get it out of there as from a soft zip slip. When carrying it will be on a sling with the ammo in loops above my left breast pocket. I couldn't bear to scratch that beauty, I have yet to see it, but of course it will be a beauty.

Eeesh Kevin, there has to be a Land Rover involved somewhere when damage happens ;)

At least with a new car that first ding or scratch does it. I've never been able to see one of my guns that way. Yeah, that ding or scratch is there but I don't want any more to happen.
I suppose if it happened with a great hunt story it would be a character mark.
IE; an elephant stepped on the stock and broke it while we were locked in mortal hand to trunk combat with me finally sorting it out with my Rambo fighting knife.

Well it isn't a new gun but my early 60's browning safari. I had both doors of my gun cabinet open to sort some stuff out. One of the items was the slug barrel for my 870 which I leaned up against the left door where the door panel meets the door rail or frame of the door. As soon as I let it go I looked at it and said to myself, "self, that isn't a good idea". No more than 3 seconds later the barrel slipped and fell into the cabinet and the muzzle put a good dent in the wood of my safari under the ejection port. :rolleyes:

Bought a Steyr-Mannlicher Luxus and ordered a nice leather strap for it. The metal prongs on the strap that slide through the loops were too thick and not easily replaceable, and the loops on the gun are fixed, so I went to town with sandpaper. Hours and hours of grinding those little things down, holding it against the deck railing for purchase. I also left the rifle leaning against the railing. Finished up and realized the shaking had worn big patches of the bluing off of the barrel of my expensive new toy. Sigh.

Purchased a new Winchester 375, bought a scope took it to the local gun shop to have it mounted and zeroed, had them purchase the QD mounts and install. Picked it up and there was a picatinny rail on the rifle with the scope, not exactly what I was wanting, then I noticed the stock had vice marks in the wood. I asked what the hell happen here, they told me it was like that when I dropped it off, told them it was brand new, which is why it was still in the original box. That's what I get for not driving the extra half hour or so to a real gun shop.

Hunting grouse in the eighties with my newly purchased 20 gauge Ruger Red Label. Pennsylvania has some very steep mountain sides and slipped on a rock and took a header down a rock pile. Kept the gun pointed away but still in my hand. It suffered extreme rock rash to both stock and barrel. When I take it on occasion I have the memories of a great hunt and greater luck in not damaging myself more. Sure wish the grouse population in the east coast was still like those days. Hunting over setters we had a 40 plus flush day in 3 hours before I took myself off the field.

Purchased a new Winchester 375, bought a scope took it to the local gun shop to have it mounted and zeroed, had them purchase the QD mounts and install. Picked it up and there was a picatinny rail on the rifle with the scope, not exactly what I was wanting, then I noticed the stock had vice marks in the wood. I asked what the hell happen here, they told me it was like that when I dropped it off, told them it was brand new, which is why it was still in the original box. That's what I get for not driving the extra half hour or so to a real gun shop.
You shouldn’t have to worry about vice marks anywhere. You’re a better man than I am, I would have lost my mind. :S Rant:

I bought a brand new Citori in 1987 and it immediately became my everyday duck gun...34 years later it's still my everyday duck gun...I carried it this morning. She's got a few wrinkles and the sides have gone grey but I wouldn't trade her for anything.

You shouldn’t have to worry about vice marks anywhere. You’re a better man than I am, I would have lost my mind. :S Rant:
@RandyF
I wouldn't if I was you mate you've lost enough of your mind already and ain't got much to spare.
Just keep your mind and go and bitch slap the person.

Was out at the range shooting a few rifles and one of the other shooters that was set up out there asked to shoot my 375 H&H. I put a round on the table next to the rifle in the rest and he loaded it up and shot it! He had a big smile on his face and asked to shoot it again, this time standing. I gave him another round and he loaded it up and took a good balanced looking stance and let her go...!!! Well...he got scope bit and in his haste to get away from the gun he set it down half ass in the rest and the butt slid off the end of the concrete bench! I jumped in and caught it before the entire rifle could hit the ground but it had a nice group of scratches in the stock and one on the bolt handle!!!!! Saving grace was that i had not had it custom coated yet and once i did that you couldnt see any scratches any more, but that didnt take the OUCH out of it when it happened! Oh Ya...he did need a couple stitches cuz it bit him deep! LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg