What do PH’s like to see for sights on Dangerous Game

I think most sight systems are plenty accurate. The factor that always determines the true effectiveness of any sight system is the ability of the person using it.

Safe shooting.

Nboro,
An exception:
I put 4 offhand shots into an 8 inch bull at 100 yards using a peep sight on my 1895 .405 Winchester before trip to Africa. There , My PH and I checked the sight on my rifle before entering hunting fields and I passed.
He was right;
51933_600x400.jpg

Practice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to use my 450/400 3" double for everything. I elected not to have scope mounts fitted, so I'll have to see how I shape up with the express sights out to 50m or so. And if that doesn't work too well it is dead simple to put on a red dot. That should extend things out to 100m and I don't plan to take any shots beyond that anyway.
If a little magnifier red dot becomes available with a dovetail mount that could be a great accuracy enhancer.

If a little magnifier red dot becomes available with a dovetail mount that could be a great accuracy enhancer.
For Heym there is not enough room for a magnifier behind the factory mount location for a red dot. To be honest more manageable and ergonomic to have a low variable (e.g. 1-8X) scope if you feel the need.

Fs1knDyl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Trijicon RMR, how are you accessing the battery compartment? Don't you have to totally remove it and lose zero to change the battery?

Burris now makes an RT3. Red Dot with 3X magnification.

For that one uses binos but never a scope.
I’ve had the experience where I’m following an animal, through a scope, in thick scrub, no shot. Then he steps into an opening, and I have a shot. I agree that when glassing for game one uses binos but never a scope.

Have a scope w/ Q/D rings and open sights for close follow-ups on DG. PHs in general don't typically care, although a PH's specific setup typically involves open sights, for close-up stopping shots (only if necessary.) For PG, a scope is recommended as shots may be longer. Not having the proper setup that works for you can cause pH issues in Hunters' stomachs! Now, half moon? Traditional V? Buckhorn? German #7? Night bead w/ or w/o hood? We need another post featuring more-detailed sight questions. lol Just check out the NECG catalog and get what you like!

I sometimes wonder how well the PHes shoot their open sighted rifles that the clients so eagerly gamble their lives on:ROFLMAO:

I saw my last one drill two holes at 60 yards into a moving impala's chest less than 2" apart with a .458 Lott!

I saw my last one drill two holes at 60 yards into a moving impala's chest less than 2" apart with a .458 Lott!
I’m impressed that the impala was still up right, let alone moving, after the first shot.

Reactions: RTG

He didn't shoot until after I shot it with a .416! It just wouldn't die for some reason.

Yes , the reviews are good, but only available in picatiny mount and sits too high for a sporting rifle or double.
On a weaver base they work just fine.

With the Trijicon RMR, how are you accessing the battery compartment? Don't you have to totally remove it and lose zero to change the battery?
You need to remove the unit. The new Trijicons you can access the battery compartment from the top. Its not really and issue. The batteries lasts for years.

Leupold red dot scope on a Krieghoff .470..

Krieghoff.jpeg

Thou shalt not crrr...crrr...criticize the prooo...fess...shun...ulls. Although the professional moniker doesn't give you any indication of ability, but rather that someone is performing said task for compensated vocational purposes. Hence this example of a professional:

Burris is making a 1x, 3x, and 5x Prismatic sight that is illuminated and etched for your convenience. Burris 3x

I'm going to go with the fact that since most people don't hunt with an AR platform, the rail real estate just isn't there. For me I'm thinking long and hard about blocking the top of my rifle's action and how quickly I can get access to it for loading more long magnum shells in the case where I have depleted the magazine. I'm currently using a two piece scope base and even considering rebating the scope mount to clear the entire action when the scope is removed. Eotechs are long, take up a bit of room, and the world looks at them and ITAR when they get on an airplane. They are not innocuous.
Forest……that buffoon with the DEA t-shirt isn’t a professional. Gives the rest of us a bad name.

I use a RMR and MRO every day at work. Yes, you have to remove it to change the battery (we change annually but they normally last up to two years with lower brightness settings). We’ve never had an issue when remounting where zero has changed. That being said, all of our mounts are designed for the weapon platform being used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.