What do PH’s like to see for sights on Dangerous Game

the “checking zero” routine at the beginning of every hunt is as much about checking the shooter and it is about checking the rifle.
If you handle your rifle properly and hit the posted target from the sticks, your PH isn’t going to care what sights you use.
Caveat to that is if you use a scope, it needs to be appropriate. If you show up with a 5-25 Nightforce, that’s a problem.

A good majority of the wounded buffalo stories seem to be the result of open sights. All the PHs I’ve hunted with would prefer a scoped rifle for their clients, but are obviously going to let you hunt with what you like if it’s suitable for job.

PHs prefer clients with a scoped rifle in a calibre which the client can handle perfectly. Rather have a .375 H & H with scope instead a .470 with open sights. The big ones are for PH.

Topic never came up. Fired a sight check shot before hunt.
No sighting aid needed at 20 yards.

What Bert The Turtle said +.

I followed the recommendations of Kevin Robertson, Low power 1-4 scope with German #4 reticle and illuminated dot mounted on QD rings. The PH was happy to see the setup. It worked well as the scope came off once we decided to follow up using just iron sights. For me I think it added a bit of old school nostalgia.

A PH wants to see you put 2 holes on paper at 50 yards. The first should be dead center, the second within 2 inches of center. Shot to shot time of less than 5 seconds, preferably less. Do that with whatever sighting system you are using, and your PH will be happy.

Your PH will be more impressed with good shooting than how much you spent on your scope or reflex sight.

I followed the recommendations of Kevin Robertson, Low power 1-4 scope with German #4 reticle and illuminated dot mounted on QD rings. The PH was happy to see the setup. It worked well as the scope came off once we decided to follow up using just iron sights. For me I think it added a bit of old school nostalgia.
which scope did you go with?

What Kevin ‘Doctari’ Robertson has to say:

"Every PH I know would rather have his client put a good .375 bullet through a buffalo’s heart than a .458 or larger one in its guts - it’s as simple as that.

Safari clients invariably shoot better with scope-sighted rifles. Such a rifle will increase shooting opportunities by as much as 20 percent. The best quality, 1 to 4 power or 1.5 to 5 power variable scope, with a bold and easily visible reticule is the best option for a client’s rifle.”

I’m using a Krieghoff Classic Big Five 9.3x74R with Swift A-frame and Woodleigh Hydro Solid bullets.

Scope: Zeiss 1.1-4x24, German reticule no. 4.

Ideal in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you haven’t read this article, it’s very informative. He talks about scope use as well.

Here is a video (a very well done video) where Buffalo was wounded and lost with an open sighted double. His reason for wounding Buffalo was deflection on brush. A scoped rifle will typically let you see clear openings through brush for a better shot.

which scope did you go with?
I chose the Trijicon 1-4 German reticle illuminated dot, mounted with Talley QD rings. nothing against the Swarovski and Zeiss products but the Trijicon was more affordable IMHO. Actually I was so impressed with the Trijicon that I bought two more for my sons, One mounted on a 460 Weatherby Mark V left hand and the other on a Savage 99 in 358 Win Mag (bush moose and black bear rifle). The second two were found on a deal from a local gunshot, $900.00 Canadian which at the time would have been about $600.00 USD. At the time the Trijicon website had the msrp at $1099.00 USD.

My PHs said low power good scope. I use a swaro Z6 1-6 and Z8 .75-6. The Z8 is the model with just the red dot in it. Excellent choice for hunting in the thick mopani chasing buff

59BFED02-0B1C-48EE-B77E-3C36A368A035.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather salty PH once told me when he had a new client show up with open sights or a double it was almost certain he would get some shooting in. Dude had been in the game a long time.

It’s not the double but the lack of scope plus a very big calibre. The bigger the fear the bigger the calibre…

A double in 9.3 or .375, also a .450-400 NE is plenty enough and not difficult to shoot. Of course it must come with a scope.

A client with big calibre and without scope smells like disaster…

No PH ever got upset when their client pulled out a scoped .375 for a DG hunt.

My friend and I went on a hunt last year in a highly regulated area. The reserve representative, who was also a ph, asked us what we were shooting. My buddy said .375 with a scope. Guy says Great!!! I said .500/.416 double open sights, and he let out a groan. Lol. The guy was watching me like a hawk when we went to confirm zero on our rifles the next morning. Once he saw that I could shoot and handle the double his attitude changed. He had obviously had some bad experiences in the past.

Reason why scope is preffered is so that the first time buffalo hunter can see what he is shooting at.
Buffalo tend to like thicker stuff and shade on the black animal does not help. Add a black recticle on a black hide and you still struggle sometimes so a illuminated dot or clealy visible reticle will be of great help.

But then again you could find your dream bull in an open field casually feeding past you.

Saw it this past week again when helping out on a buffalo as backup fist time hunter struggling to find a shot opportunity as the bull was not keeping still or standing broadside. Although there was a scope on the 375 he was not sure what he was aiming at when the bull kept standing behind bushes or under trees. When he was in the open he would keep on moving clever old bastard but they finally found him Saturday and I missed out. Had to leave Sat morning with all the rain we had bush was wet and quiet wind was good and the bull never noticed the hunters and gave a good side on opportunity.

With more experience on buffalo you will have a beter idea where to aim when knowing your buffalo siloutette but even then with open sights or reflex you will not be able to see branches and other obstacles clearly in front of the buffalo when standing in thick stuff.

IMG-20220410-WA0115.jpg

Notice everything is wet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!