What do people think about “non-trophy” hunts

I enjoy the hunt, the trophy is irrelevant. A cull hunt is still a hunt. All hunt meat is used; on private concessions they normally have their own butcheries and the meat is either sold to the community or turned into biltong, also for sale of course. So whether you pay a little extra and get the skin and horns as well, the real value of the hunt you did was that it benefits the locals and they didn't even have to set a snare and risk the consequences. Rhino horn and eleplant tusk poaching apart the vast majority of game poaching is for meat, meat, meat. The best deterrent for that is to get hunted meat and some financial benefits back to the surrounding community and let them know that unless there is abundant game the hunters won't come any more.

At the end of September I am planning to fly to RSA for 10 days. My goal is to hunt two animals which I dont´ have, Spotted Hyaena and Bushpig. Friend coming along has other nocturnal animals in sight. This will take place probably in Mpumalanga.

When we are finished, we will then go to my Outfitters property in the NC, where I plan to hunt animals which I already have, Baboon, Jackal, Warthog, Porcupine, inexpensive, and I will only take back the skulls. If they are nicer than the ones I have, I will replace them on my walls, otherwise, they will be gifts for family and friends.

A year ago my answer would’ve been different but honestly after the very high cost associated with shipping trophies back home that I’ve paid out this year due to the world going nuts, a safari without those costs looks a lot more appealing. My taxidermy was a cost I was able to know before hand but add the increased shipping cost to that and it came out to more than the safari cost. That expense could have been another safari or a top shelf horseback pack in elk hunt.
Less trophies shipped home will translate into more hunting trips for me in the future.
So, in my opinion, if these fuel costs continue to stay at the current level or rise further, they will likely have less trouble booking those types of hunts in the future.
@Vintageguy
I'm in the same boat mate. My taxidermist said he usually gets a heap of stuff shipped from Namibia for around 1,500 dollars. This time a lesser amount cost 10,000 dollars that had to be split 3 ways.
Yes I would definitely do a cull hunt after that and then buy some skins to bring home from Nankara tannery and put them in my suitcase to bring home.
Loved my hunt in Namibia and the time in country but the bill shock from the shipping due the covid was a bitter pill.
Bob

I have seen some great deals on tuskless elephants. I would recommend that as they are going to be exciting. The tuskless ellies are really aggressive. Also, maybe just export the skull and do a euro mount, which is cheaper as well. What I wonder is if it is possible to put replica tusks on an elephant skull (tuskless or otherwise).
I've considered Tuskless as well. I'll be shopping around for a Tuskless or Non-Trophy Ellie hunt in the next couple years.

At the end of September I am planning to fly to RSA for 10 days. My goal is to hunt two animals which I dont´ have, Spotted Hyaena and Bushpig. Friend coming along has other nocturnal animals in sight. This will take place probably in Mpumalanga.

When we are finished, we will then go to my Outfitters property in the NC, where I plan to hunt animals which I already have, Baboon, Jackal, Warthog, Porcupine, inexpensive, and I will only take back the skulls. If they are nicer than the ones I have, I will replace them on my walls, otherwise, they will be gifts for family and friends.

I am doing a nocturnal hunt next month in RSA! Looking for bushpig, hyena, honey badger, serval, caracal, genet and porcupine and anything else that shows up at night that I don't have. I even bought a thermal monocular to assist in finding the animals once shot (and to hopefully help me get a coyote back home at some point).

This will be my first time doing some serious night hunting (only tried once before with zero success).

I’ve looked at an considered a non trophy elephant/buffalo hunt many times. Not being wealthy, this is likely the only way I’ll be able to afford an elephant hunt. My questions would be, can the non trophy tusks be exported, same with the buff skull/horns. I’ve seen some awesome carved buffalo horns.
The “non-trophy” elephant hunts in Zimbabwe usually cannot be exported back to the U.S. It’s a case-by-case basis. You can have replicas of the tusks made for about $800 US. The “non-trophy” Buffalo are exportable. Usually. Ask questions. “Non-trophy” does not mean Problem Animal Control tags, those are different things. Elephant hunting is, imho, as good and wild as it gets in Africa. But it’s way too expensive for most folks to hunt an exportable bull from Botswana, the Caprivi, Tanzania and even RSA. In my experience, the elephant neither knows, no cares, about his trophy status. The tusk-less cows are the creakiest and most intense of them all. Wait until you fire a shot into a small herd of elephant, You will know why Chapstick and Ruark always seems to be drinking. And I suggest a change of boxers/pants at the truck.

The non trophy ele hunt offered by a Zim PH on here is the best non trophy hunt anywhere as far as I am concerned. OMG what an exciting time and yes affordable for us who cannot or are unwilling to pay for a trophy exportable bull in any country. Yes when PH states you watch bull while the cows, calves and other bulls scream, panic and trample, gladly in the opposite direction. No need for a boxer change but shaking sure did commence. Those $500 replicas (cost when I got them) sure look good framing his tanned ears.

#1 non trophy hunt all should complete.

MB

I recently had a chance to spend some time in a great camp in Zimbabwe. Around the camp fire, the property manger and I got into a very good discussion about “non-trophy” hunts. He and the PHs that hunt the property have had some trouble booking “non-trophy” hunts. In there case, “non-trophy” mostly means low scoring, but still old and mature animals.

Many people seem to view African hunting as “way to expensive.” I disagree, but that’s not the point. Many great PHs and camps offer some great “non-trophy” hunts at great rates.

So, I thought it was a good question to ask the AH community.

Is there really a lack of interest in these hunts, or are folks concerned that it might be substandard trip, or is it that once you commit to Africa you are targeting specific game and are committed to the cost? Or is it a marketing issue. I am genuinely curious.

Admittedly my “sitting room” is pretty full of taxidermy so the next trophy mount is not something I really do anyway, but I have really enjoyed the non-trophy hunts I’ve been able to do. I have also found them to be great for kids and new hunters to get a lot of very good hunting experience at very affordable rates.

Thoughts?
Cajun Hunter here in Louisiana. I personally am past paying for taxidermy but am still passionate about hunting. My last few trips to Africa have had no consideration for trophy quality on the animals hunted. Non-trophy hunts are less expensive so you can hunt more for less. Will be hunting in Zimbabwe next year for elephant and will be after an old bull with broken tusk. So looking forward to the experience and not so much putting something in the book.

Same here as others have stated, my trophy wall is getting full so I'm opting to do a cull hunt in Namibia for 20 animals at less than half the cost of a hunt for 3 of the larger and 3 medium PG game trophy hunt. I have the option on having any of the animals mounted, horns, and hides for an extra $500.00 "trophy fee" per animal.

Since I too like working with hides, making leather goods I'll pick up a couple, 3, or 4 hides and photos to remember the hunt. Of course being in Africa, should an animal of opportunity on my list of wanted trophy animals I'll take it; ie badger, black back jackal, porcupine, another baboon, or the smaller cats.

A hunt like this over 10-12 days offers plenty of hunting, shooting and sight seeing. I'm not interested in killing all of these animals. I'm just looking for a relaxing time, enjoyable hunts, and seeing places I've never been to before.

Same here as others have stated, my trophy wall is getting full so I'm opting to do a cull hunt in Namibia for 20 animals at less than half the cost of a hunt for 3 of the larger and 3 medium PG game trophy hunt. I have the option on having any of the animals mounted, horns, and hides for an extra $500.00 "trophy fee" per animal.

Since I too like working with hides, making leather goods I'll pick up a couple, 3, or 4 hides and photos to remember the hunt. Of course being in Africa, should an animal of opportunity on my list of wanted trophy animals I'll take it; ie badger, black back jackal, porcupine, another baboon, or the smaller cats.

A hunt like this over 10-12 days offers plenty of hunting, shooting and sight seeing. I'm not interested in killing all of these animals. I'm just looking for a relaxing time, enjoyable hunts, and seeing places I've never been to before.
@Ridge Runner
If you are interested in hides,skins and leather goods check out Nankara tannery in Windhoek great value for money and you can take the skins home with you.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
If you are interested in hides,skins and leather goods check out Nankara tannery in Windhoek great value for money and you can take the skins home with you.
Bob
Thanks for the information I'll check them out.
Does Nankara tannery soft tan their hides?
I plan on using a couple of large hides to make soft and hard gun cases, cartridge carriers, pouches and a few other items.

Earlier in my hunting career the prospect of non-trophies would have probably had less interest for me. But my walls are now full, and I'm not going to mount another of the same animal just because I take one with a few inches longer horn. For the most part, I'd prefer to hunt more animals for less money. Size and horn quality make far less difference than they once did, although if it's a new species for me I might be more interested in at least a representative specimen. I actually feel kind of guilty taking a really nice animal, and then only taking video and photos and not shipping it home. It seems wasteful, if some other hunter could have taken it that would have appreciated bringing the horns back home. So, non-trophy animals would probably make more sense for me now for the most part. And like others have said, the price of shipping them back to the U.S. will likely keep me from bringing too many more home in the future. One issue, though, is that most actual cull hunts are really oriented toward rifle hunting and I only hunt with bows. Therefore, it's hard to find an archery cull hunt, but I do appreciate being able to take a cull now and then at greatly reduced prices when they make themselves available during a hunt. I'm ok with shooting females, but I'd vastly prefer shooting old or broken horned males.

Better option in a wild area isn’t to ask for a non-trophy but to ask to be the final hunter of the season and use up the last remaining quota at a discount, but the quota on some species may already be used up.
One possible problem with that end of season strategy... that late, the snakes may be out. No thank you.

One possible problem with that end of season strategy... that late, the snakes may be out. No thank you.
I’ve been on 3 late September-end October hunts totaling 42 full hunting days. The only snake I’ve seen on those hunts was a python at waterhole walking out in the dark. The most snakes and snake sign I’ve seen have surprisingly been on May/early June hunts. I think the possibility is always there.

My last few hunts have been 'cull or non-trophy' hunts. Like others have stated, I no longer get anything mounted, hunting a 48" broken kudu or 55" trophy kudu still poses the same challenge. So I have been maximizing my hunting dollars. I still take trophy hunts, but I leave the trophy behind.

It seems a real shame that anyone would pay for PAC/control hunts when there are numerous sportsmen who would jump at the chance if the price was right. Maybe someone is afraid they will take the place of the bread and butter trophy hunts, but I say you will be opening the door to many who would otherwise not be able to participate. (of course, once they get the bug of African hunting, they will likely be back to become the bread and butter participants having decided it's not too expensive after all--for what you get and because you only go around once)

After taking 18 buff over the years I have booked a few non trophy buffalo hunts.....just as exciting. the meat is always utilized by the locals and trophy fees and employment is also a benefit to the local people. I am always in the market for non trophy buffalo hunts, as long as they are non fenced. I so enjoy the hunt and being in the African bush.

My first safari was a management hunt to Namibia. My father and I combined on 24 animals in one week of hunting. Included were a handful of trophies. On almost every trip since, we've included some meat, cull, or non-trophy animals. It's more relaxed, enjoyable, and serves a great conservation purpose in herd management. Sign me up!

I recently had a chance to spend some time in a great camp in Zimbabwe. Around the camp fire, the property manger and I got into a very good discussion about “non-trophy” hunts. He and the PHs that hunt the property have had some trouble booking “non-trophy” hunts. In there case, “non-trophy” mostly means low scoring, but still old and mature animals.

Many people seem to view African hunting as “way to expensive.” I disagree, but that’s not the point. Many great PHs and camps offer some great “non-trophy” hunts at great rates.

So, I thought it was a good question to ask the AH community.

Is there really a lack of interest in these hunts, or are folks concerned that it might be substandard trip, or is it that once you commit to Africa you are targeting specific game and are committed to the cost? Or is it a marketing issue. I am genuinely curious.

Admittedly my “sitting room” is pretty full of taxidermy so the next trophy mount is not something I really do anyway, but I have really enjoyed the non-trophy hunts I’ve been able to do. I have also found them to be great for kids and new hunters to get a lot of very good hunting experience at very affordable rates.

Thoughts?
I have thought about your message and want to present my question…what constitutes a “trophy”. On my first hunt I took representative animals…to me confirmed by my pH but certainly not record book animals or even close. So in that hunt was it a trophy or non trophy hunt? For my second hunt I took just under a 44 inch wide buff…to me that was above just a representative animal. When I see “cull” hunt given my time in Texas I know what that means…females and broken horns. Non trophy to me is too ambiguess and maybe better marketing is needed by outfitters. Saying representative species might get more bookings. Just my two cents

I have seen some great deals on tuskless elephants. I would recommend that as they are going to be exciting. The tuskless ellies are really aggressive. Also, maybe just export the skull and do a euro mount, which is cheaper as well. What I wonder is if it is possible to put replica tusks on an elephant skull (tuskless or otherwise).
So true. Doing my first elephant hunt in 23 and cost made it a tuskless which was $10,000 less and living in US too much trouble to import anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross