What coat

I layered with fleece. Our lowest temp in the morning we saw was 22 degrees. With a mid 60's high. That was in the june time frame.
 
The only truly quiet fabrics I have found in the bush to be made of wool or pile.
I hunt in blinds, both at night and during the day, and use a couple different jackets that are quiet and scent blocking. I also use them for stalking in brush or crawling in for close shots or shooting prone. Gamehide (Hush Hide) is one that is quiet.

This is another I’ve recently tried in New Zealand. Soft/quiet/dry. Pretty durable too.

IMG_7738.png



Blind hunting in Africa at night, you can hear your heartbeat…
 
I layered with fleece. Our lowest temp in the morning we saw was 22 degrees. With a mid 60's high. That was in the june time frame.

I wear a lot of fleece. A couple of my favorites are pullovers that compress and take up little space in my backpack. They are quiet too. I use smaller daypacks or Gunrunner style with rifle scabbard that are limited for space when mountain hunting.
 
I wear a lot of fleece. A couple of my favorites are pullovers that compress and take up little space in my backpack. They are quiet too. I use smaller daypacks or Gunrunner style with rifle scabbard that are limited for space when mountain hunting.
The only thing wrong with fleece is if you get caught up in thorns of briars you are going to be there awhile getting unstuck and patching bleeding wounds.
 
The only thing wrong with fleece is if you get caught up in thorns of briars you are going to be there awhile getting unstuck and patching bleeding wounds.
True. You have to tough to wear it! Or carry a tourniquet…:LOL:

Besides, scars add character and puncture wounds enhance the experience.
 
I’m a cashmere sweater under a old zip up fleece hoodie
Alpaca or merino wool socks
 
I hunted Limpopo back in 2012, and what my wife and I used were Fleece jackets bought at Cabelas. We layered for the ride out, and as the day warmed up, we shed the fleece and hunted in cotton shirts.
 
I had great luck with an Orvis PRO upland softshell jacket in cedar color in Limpopo a couple of weeks ago. Light enough on its own for cool mornings, has pit zips (open wide and work well) and takes thorns very well. Roomy enough to layer under (vest, fleece, both?). Plus has other hunting or outdoor use. If I was hunting at night on the eastern cape where it gets COLD, I’d add a puffy of some kind.
 
I'm not a camo guy. The majority of my hunting (and non-hunting) clothing is dark earth tones and they do well for being in the bush. Dress in layers, because by 8am you will be wanting to shed some.

This is what I wore in Limpopo on a safari in late May early June. Canvas coat, insulated vest, Orvis Bush Shirt, t-shirt and a buff around my neck for the sun. Not pictured is an Army issue fleece watch cap that I typically wore in the early and late hours. Carhartt work pants kept the thorns from shreding my legs.
1776549097599.png
 
I hunted eastern cape last summer. I’m a fan of layering. Cheap fleece has normally covered my needs on 6 other safaris. However, we were chasing tiny ten and some at night and I was cold!!!!! I brought an axis jacket from KUIU which is a combo puffy jacket. I thought I wasted my time bringing it. But I’m extremely glad I brought it along with a watch cap and gloves. The fleece was enough when we returned to the Limpopo.
 
Any thoughts on Namibia in June? I like the ORVIS jacket idea mentioned above, but do wonder if it’s enough? They also have a hooded jacket that looks a bit heavier in their pictures. Both look to be thorn resistant, so that’s a plus. Historical temps look like low 40s in the AM, and 60s or 70s by the afternoon.

Never been there, thanks in advance for your help.
 
Any thoughts on Namibia in June? I like the ORVIS jacket idea mentioned above, but do wonder if it’s enough? They also have a hooded jacket that looks a bit heavier in their pictures. Both look to be thorn resistant, so that’s a plus. Historical temps look like low 40s in the AM, and 60s or 70s by the afternoon.

Never been there, thanks in advance for your help.
I spent all of July in Namibia last year. Chilly in the morning and evenings, shirt sleeves most of the day. A fleece and a slightly heavier jacket worked well.

Midway USA has a decent quality fleece lined softshell jacket that frequently goes on sale for $30-40. I have bought a bunch of these over the years for sons-in-law and also gifts for PH and trackers.

1776560838943.png
 
Excellent info and advice, that really helps.

Thanks so much!
 

Had what was probably the previous original version....many years ago..was very good....things like fleeces and other "fluffy" type materials I can't stand as any grass seed , burr etc etc etc that is created to attach itself to an animal or whatever walks past drives me up the wall trying to pull them off it....had a harkila windproof coat that thorns etc kind of slid over the material....unfortunately it vanished.....but a nice guy is bringing me out a new one later in the year...
 
I'm not a camo guy. The majority of my hunting (and non-hunting) clothing is dark earth tones and they do well for being in the bush. Dress in layers, because by 8am you will be wanting to shed some.

This is what I wore in Limpopo on a safari in late May early June. Canvas coat, insulated vest, Orvis Bush Shirt, t-shirt and a buff around my neck for the sun. Not pictured is an Army issue fleece watch cap that I typically wore in the early and late hours. Carhartt work pants kept the thorns from shreding my legs.
View attachment 760256
@BeeMaa that’s some good looking stuff and kit. I’m surprised the Mrs lets such a dapper good looking sumbitch out of her sight. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I might recognize that rifle. :A Thumbs Up:
 
@BeeMaa that’s some good looking stuff and kit. I’m surprised the Mrs lets such a dapper good looking sumbitch out of her sight. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I might recognize that rifle. :A Thumbs Up:
The good thing is that everything good in my life comes as a direct result of her. Including the rifle in that picture. ;)

The bad news is that everything I have is also subject to me treating it the way it was designed to be used, and that’s not always in agreement with how SHE thinks it should be handled.

The end result is quality kit that sees real world use.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,367
Messages
1,574,351
Members
170,015
Latest member
RamiroChoi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top