What caliber for new rifle?

CO_mtnman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
So let's say if you already had a 375 h&h and a 460 wby (built on a cz action) and also had a cz 550 action laying around with the rigby bolt face what would you choose?

What's your intentions for the rifle? Dangerous game, plains game, etc.

Of course a 416 Rigby makes a ton of sense. It's an in between for you. Or if you are wanting another 458 but more sensible one, a 450 Rigby.

Or for an in between and a touch of class and even more nostalgia that a 416 Rigby, a 404 Jeffrey;)

Now if you want a real hammer but not the fast jarring recoil of the 460, how about a 505 Gibbs:)

I'd love to go with a 404 Jeff but I am afraid I can't make that happen with the rigby bolt face. Would a 505 gibbs work on the action?

+1 for the .404 Jeffrey also!
I have one. Mine is a CZ 550 as well. It is a dream to shoot, and accurate to under an inch at 100 yards.

Either one of Krish's offerings, or a new James Purdey 'builds" in their new titanium reinorced stock format, in a good D/G caliber, money being no object ...

I'd love to go with a 404 Jeff but I am afraid I can't make that happen with the rigby bolt face. Would a 505 gibbs work on the action?
I have a 505 Gibbs on a CZ 550 and the bolt face is opened up as far as it will go. So I suspect it would work just fine. I also have a Ruger RSM that started life as a 416 Rigby and was converted to 505 Gibbs so that bolt face worked.

So let's say if you already had a 375 h&h and a 460 wby (built on a cz action) and also had a cz 550 action laying around with the rigby bolt face what would you choose?
I'd sell the action and buy a double.

How much extra gunsmithing would it take to convert the action to a 505 gibbs, I am assuming opening the bolt face and some feed rail work. I also imagine a few more crossbolts in the stock and maybe some wrist support

Lol I'd never sell my 375 h&h I inherited it when my grandfather passed away or my 460 wby it was the very last rifle my uncle ever built before he passed away in fact I had to send it to another gunsmith for the final muzzle threading (muzzle brake for practice only wouldn't hunt with it on) but I could potentially sell or trade this newer action in the future

How much extra gunsmithing would it take to convert the action to a 505 gibbs, I am assuming opening the bolt face and some feed rail work. I also imagine a few more crossbolts in the stock and maybe some wrist support
It would require opening the bolt and also likely major work on the magazine box. Probably need to remove some metal from the sides under the feed rails so that fat cartridge will hold in place. Mone had to go back to Triple River for work and will only function with brass cases. If shooting nickle plated, they need to be scuffed up with sandpaper or the slip right out.

You will also need a different follower or work it to fit.

So considerable more gunsmithing.

The easy road is definitely a 416 Rigby. Or a 450 Rigby.

That may be a little more work than my wallet can support at the moment without dipping into my buffalo hunt pool. Now that I am looking at the big boys what about the 500 a square

416 Rigby would be tough to beat ! Animals taken with my Heym Martini in 416 Rigby :
004D8EAD-7290-44AE-8FA2-42F0E600D279.jpeg
B0580586-AFD9-4DCB-9B67-324BD85B5032.jpeg
14B54B00-465D-4D1B-9013-277EA57D3652.jpeg
B4B4C0F8-E791-46B4-8EBE-F72B836CEF8B.jpeg
A0A3E43A-5CAD-4DE9-A88D-7E34E6D407BF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.