What Are Your Alternative Plans?

The issue I am noticing is that the TX outfits are still clinging to their ridiculous prices. Ridiculous furthered by how great of a deal things are in RSA right now. Does someone really believe people have a willingness to shoot a $800 hog at a time like this? or a $2.5k sheep (for that I could go on a trip to RSA at these rates)? The people I have been talking to are ridiculous. For $2k one should be able to have a good time and blast at a bunch of non-exotic animals in TX.

I mean, I offered a guy $2k to shoot a trophy TX Dall, a cull of his choice, opportunistic hogs under 100# and 1 night hunt. This for 4 people! In my opinion, a ranch that doesn;t take that deal in this climate is either well capitalized and wants no one there or is out of their mind. Thee arent exactly a gang of people rushing to hunt TX hill country right now.

The only thing besides tags here at home in colorado that I had set in stone this year, is a fishing trip in texas the first week of june.
I don't think it will be a problem. The guide is actively fishing now and we should be able to drive down if things don't get worse.

The only thing I have planned in 2020 was June hunt in RSA for Buff and lioness with some bird hunting. If June hunt is canceled and can’t get in in July will move it to 2021 and add more days and animals. I am kind of burned out on hunting here in Texas and will save for a bigger trip to RSA. The only thing that might change is when I go visit Gizmo to look at my taxidermy he is finishing up I might take along a rifle and spend a few days if RSA trip is canceled
From what I've heard...
Taking a rifle to see Gizmo for a few days could turn into a really good time.
Careful out there.

South Africa - Buffalo, hippo, roan, black giraffe in May has now been postponed unit late August. If August isn't a possibility, postpone until 2021 and hunt mule deer, promghorn, and Mt. lion out west this fall.

Fortunately I hunted Cameroon and took my wife to Bora Bora for spring break before everyone collectively lost their minds. Looks like my kids Disney vacation is off for the summer. Other than that no plans for the rest of 2020.
I have plans to take groups of hunters on Safari in 2021 and 2022. This has been my dream to share my passion and my experience with others and take them on their first Safari. Now that may be difficult for some as The economy crumbles due to the unfounded fear of this new flu bug and the draconian response to it.
I hope everyone is able to continue hunting after the dust settles on this.
We must all write our governors and representative and demand our freedoms back immediately! It’s time to start organizing.
Regards
Philip

@GAJeremy - That hunt sound like a dream.
I like the Black Giraffe.
Where are you planning on hunting.

@Philip Glass - You got one in just under the wire.
From what I've heard on the news, Disney is going to be a very different place now.
Good luck with the '21 and '22 group hunts, sounds like you have a good time planned.
Hopefully the world comes to its senses soon...our Governors included.
Cheers mate.

Was supposed to be my 3rd day in Zim right now for leopard/buff. ...

Who was your outfitter?

I have a Leopard/Buffalo scheduled for Zim in August, crossing my fingers that I can still go.

Alternative plans if I can not go is to reschedule for next year and look at NA mountain lion/bear hunts in the fall.

Today was supposed to be the departure day for my first trip to RSA. Had no choice except to push it out to 2021 and keep my fingers crossed. Looking like all the extra vacation days will be used up this fall during deer season. Stay safe, all.

Hopefully a little more White Tail hunting with my kids and grandkids. While not as thrilling as hunting exotic game it is still going to be a good time for family bonding and passing knowledge down to the youngsters. To me that is just as important as well as fulfilling.

Hopefully a little more White Tail hunting with my kids and grandkids. While not as thrilling as hunting exotic game it is still going to be a good time for family bonding and passing knowledge down to the youngsters. To me that is just as important as well as fulfilling.
+1 I agree whole heartedly! Teaching another generation to experience and love the hunt is our duty! From squirrels to Cape buffalo. JMO

@VAHunter - Sorry to hear your trip has been pushed.
Think of it as more time to be better prepared for when you do go.
You will be dialing up some poleax shots by then.
Good luck and you stay safe as well.

@Shootist43 - I view education others of all ages a responsibility of all hunters.
If we could all teach a few more people what actual wildlife conservation is, hunting worldwide would benefit.
Cheers to you sir.

June in Namibia looks to be about a 1% chance, so we are discussing dates for 2021.

An immediate alternative is Minnesota archery turkey hunting. My extra time over the last month has been shooting arrows. My son and I both tagged turkey already! Friends still have tags so we will continue to bow hunt as long as we can.

All summer plans are uncertain, we are expecting limited travel so the lake cabin will get heavy use.
The fall will be my regular trips out west. I’d like to add wisconsin and/or Iowa... anyone know a guy?
With our Namibia hunt being postponed, I’m looking for a father son hunt in the US in December or January. I’ll take any ideas! (And follow this thread)

June in Namibia looks to be about a 1% chance, so we are discussing dates for 2021.

An immediate alternative is Minnesota archery turkey hunting. My extra time over the last month has been shooting arrows. My son and I both tagged turkey already! Friends still have tags so we will continue to bow hunt as long as we can.

All summer plans are uncertain, we are expecting limited travel so the lake cabin will get heavy use.
The fall will be my regular trips out west. I’d like to add wisconsin and/or Iowa... anyone know a guy?
With our Namibia hunt being postponed, I’m looking for a father son hunt in the US in December or January. I’ll take any ideas! (And follow this thread)
Gotta be thinking Southern US Feral Hog hunting for Dec/Jan hunt!
I know there are places from Texas all the way to Georgia and Florida with opportunities.
Not sure about you, but I'm not much for trudging through the snow after game.
Done enough of that in my day. :D

@BeeMaa I’ve never done a hog hunt and would love to try one.
Anybody have a referral? What should I expect for price range?

Coming from the cold north, I don’t mind the snow. I prefer it actually, it is easier to track, then stalk game. It is also easier to move animals in the snow, I’ve had a few times when I’ve had to run to keep up with the carcass.

Coming from the cold north, I don’t mind the snow. I prefer it actually, it is easier to track, then stalk game. It is also easier to move animals in the snow, I’ve had a few times when I’ve had to run to keep up with the carcass.
I know @BigSteve57 went with Hog Swat last year and had a good time.
The wife and I have talked to those guys several times at shows, nice guys.
Located near Albany, GA and they provide just about everything.
All night hunting with thermal AR's.
Would be cool just for the experience.
Not sure about the price, but you get to keep all the meat you can carry.
Good excuse to get that big ass YETI you've been looking at! (y)

You are welcome to the cold and snow my friend.
No competition will be coming from me in the snow.
Cheers.

Don't want to ran on your parade, but I live in BC and my wife and I have a guided sea kayak trip planned off the coast of Vancouver Island in July. The general feeling is that it's not going to happen.

No worries sir. I'm hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

I wish they had European style driven hunts here in the USA. The pics below are from Poland a few years ago.

NqBex1Ol.jpg

QjzQNufl.jpg

Attachments

• NqBex1Ol.jpg
    NqBex1Ol.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 73
  • QjzQNufl.jpg
    QjzQNufl.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they had European style driven hunts here in the USA.
My wife is from Georgia and I lived there for a few years.
Our neighbor was a member of a club that allowed hunting of Whitetail Deer with dogs.
GA law says it's only allowed in certain areas, I believe private land but I'm not sure.
Not exactly a "European style", but still a driven hunt.
As in...you are more likely to get a PBR instead of a Schnapps after the hunt.

There are a few other states that allow Deer hunting with dogs.
It's illegal to hunt Feral Hogs with dogs in GA.

I know @BigSteve57 went with Hog Swat last year and had a good time.
The wife and I have talked to those guys several times at shows, nice guys.
Located near Albany, GA and they provide just about everything.
All night hunting with thermal AR's.
Would be cool just for the experience.
Not sure about the price, but you get to keep all the meat you can carry.
Good excuse to get that big ass YETI you've been looking at! (y)

You are welcome to the cold and snow my friend.
No competition will be coming from me in the snow.
Cheers.
We're STILL eating the hogs we got from that trip which was the last week in October!
Lucky we don't easily get tired of pulled pork. :A Banana:
Absolutely no regrets with the HOGSWAT guys.
I'd do it again.

We're STILL eating the hogs we got from that trip which was the last week in October!
Lucky we don't easily get tired of pulled pork. :A Banana:
Absolutely no regrets with the HOGSWAT guys.
I'd do it again.
Good to hear from you sir.
You should send @Tra3 a PM about your trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg