What are you reading?

I have to be honest, “ Green Hills of Africa “ I found rather uninspiring.
Actually rereading for the 5th or 6th time probably.

I'm more of a Ruark fan, but green hills was my first African book and has a special place in my heart.

The chapter he finally travels to the find his kudu gets me so excited every time I read it. I love the mix of dialogue and hunting just screams old Hemingway to me
 
IMG_4226.jpeg

A fascinating read of well told stories and an outstanding history of Sudan and surrounding countries. Learned more from this book than I did in AP history in high school! Hunting the ibexes and gazelles and spiral horns and more all tied together and heavily/beautiful photographs. I got this copy on e bay, it was not inexpensive but I’m glad I picked it up
 
I’m finding this book interesting, likely due to my affinity for the area covered and background as an engineer officer. It’s a historical nonfiction set in the context of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsden purchase etc. It was an interesting adventure surveying the Rio Grande from Presidio to Del Rio, a roughly 400 mile length of river, that till this day still does not have a bridge or significant settlement on the shore.

IMG_0563.jpeg
 
I am working through both Sabine Hassenfelder titles:
Existential Physics
Lost in Math

This is her channel:


In my 50's now I think I would have enjoyed it as a profession.

Physics answers a lot of big questions in the universe but it probably creates more questions than answers.
 
Current reading Blood Meridian.

Couple weeks ago finished Camp-Fires on Desert and Lava by William T. Hornaday. Second book I've read from the B&C classic series, was an enjoyable read.
 
Current reading Blood Meridian.

Couple weeks ago finished Camp-Fires on Desert and Lava by William T. Hornaday. Second book I've read from the B&C classic series, was an enjoyable read.
I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve read blood Meridian but I can tell you I have two copies of it. When I think I have it figured out there’s always more to unpack. I’ve read about half of McCarthy’s works and haven’t been disappointed yet.
 
IMG_4052.jpeg
 
IMG_6535.jpeg
 
Current reading Blood Meridian.

Couple weeks ago finished Camp-Fires on Desert and Lava by William T. Hornaday. Second book I've read from the B&C classic series, was an enjoyable read.
Judge Holden is such an interesting character. If you like blood meridian(my favorite from McCarthy) Look up Samuel chamberlains book “my confessions: recollections of a rogue”. Chamberlain allegedly rode with John glanton and his book is where Glantons second in command judge Holden comes from. Scary man… even scarier to know that men gifted like the judge have and do actually exist.
 
Samuel chamberlains book “my confessions: recollections of a rogue”.
That is funny you say that. I've read it not that long ago (buried somewhere in this thread) and looked for similar books and found Blood Meridian.

This is a much more difficult read for me as a my first language is not English, I've read a lot in English, but his choice of words means reaching for the dictionary every couple of sentences (not really because I use Kindle and it explain the words when highlighted, but still).
 
That is funny you say that. I've read it not that long ago (buried somewhere in this thread) and looked for similar books and found Blood Meridian.

This is a much more difficult read for me as a my first language is not English, I've read a lot in English, but his choice of words means reaching for the dictionary every couple of sentences (not really because I use Kindle and it explain the words when highlighted, but still).
Yes the vocabulary used is extensive but it’s a beautifully written book. There is a german version by Hans wolf though I wonder how much would be lost in translation.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,188
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top