What age should you start them hunting?

I did the same thing as WAB - when my son was 4, I got him the side by side "practice gun"

BB gun at 5

Bought him a Rossi Youth 20 gauge/22 LR (2 barrels) set when he was 6. (The 20 gauge kicked a little too much until I found some reduced recoil loads).

Got him a .243 with a chopped off stock when he was 8 - killed his first deer that year. Killed another with it two years later. Added a 1 1/12" thick recoil pad when he was 15. Got a good pronghorn with it when he was 17 (all dead-right-there shots!)

Got him a .308 Win Tikka as a high school graduation present - he killed a 7 point buck with it this year - it ran 50 yards.

(wait on the bolt-action until eye dominance and hand dominance are established)

(And the $200 I spent for his lifetime license in Georgia as his first birthday present has already paid for itself)

A Ruger 10/22 at ages 8-10 will make shooting much more fun for them!

I shot my first squirrels at 3 with a 410. First racoon at 4. I ran trap lines at 6. First deer at 11, but I went hunting for deer at 9. (We are hillbillies, so it’s to be expected).

I started my daughters at 5 for shooting (22LR not a 410) and 8 for hunting, and it’s working well. I just wish I could get away from work enough to get them more time on trigger and tracking. The key is making it normal enough that they continue to maintain interest and remember what they have learned between lessons.

Any age over about 4 is a good age to get them started - just remember their tolerance for sitting still and not making noise is much shorter the younger they are. My grandkids all started at different ages, but I made ALL of them carry an empty gun in the field for at least 5 or 6 sessions to make sure they knew how to handle and keep the muzzle pointed safely. A 10/22 is a fun gun and easy way to start, but the semi-automatic function is problematic when they are excited in the field. I solved that by just loading a single round into the magazine until they were comfortable.

Congratulations to all the new expecting fathers to be….there is nothing greater.

I started shooting maybe 7 with BB guns and graduated to 22lr. Didn’t do much big or small game hunting until teens.

I have a 14 year old girl that killed her first whitetail this season and a 8 year old boy that got his first BB gun for Christmas. He shows a strong desire to hunt (I’m not sure he’s realized he’ll have to leave the electronics at home). I will probably start him squirrel hunting behind the house this year.

As a matter of fact I smiled this week when we were doing homework one sheet asked him what he dreamed of being when he grows up….his answer was….”a great hunter”

My grandfather took my uncle hunting 12-14 and he cried when he shot his first deer and has never hunted again. He just turned 65.

Point being, there is no one specific age….they will all be different. Some will love it others won’t. Love them for who they are and encourage them in all they do.

I try to tell my self in each situation I face with my children that there are two choices in the way I handle it….I have an opportunity to build them up or tear them down. I try to always build them up though sometimes it’s hard.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

sorry for the long winded answer.

You better buy your son his first rifle shortly after he is born

Congratulations to the new member of your family. Regarding your comment on only starting to hunt at 25, I would comment that it is never to late to start.
I started with a air rifle at 4 and then at age 6 shooting a .22 at ground squirrels and Guinea Fowl.
At around the age of 9 my uncle let me shoot my first Hartebeest with a 270 Win. My Grandfather was extremely strict regarding gun control and that was good and a must. Accidents can happen in a blink of an eye.
I know it is still far in the future, but enjoy the time with your kid. Time flies fast. Cant believe my daughter is turning 15 already.

Last edited:
As soon as they can walk is a great age. I started mine around 18 months. I used a backpack to carry them in 99.9% of the time. I started letting them shoot around 4 years of age. 22 cal with red dot sight. I used a potato and pop cans full of water to teach them how damaging a bullet can be. Remember to always have them to wear ear protection when anyone shoots.
Yup. I’m 100% in agreement on proper safety precautions.

Howard Leight baby earmuffs are a good choice and I didn’t bring my boy hunting until I knew he would listen properly, not wander off into the line of fire, etc. I expect every child is different for the age at which that is appropriate too.

In the hot Yuma summer in which I hunt dove, I also keep him well hydrated and covered up. Same for cold climates. Properly fitting warm clothes when appropriate.

Over the years I’ve seen plenty of people (young and old) be turned off from outdoor activities due to inadequate preparedness or gear. As experienced hunters/outdoorsmen, it’s in our best interest to ensure that our children enjoy their time in the outdoors as much as possible.

I started my daughter at 9 years old on turkeys. I make her watch me clean ducks, turkeys, and such. They must understand what comes after the kill. She likes to turkey hunt. Has killed 2 turkeys. Slowly might be coming around to shooting a deer. She will be 12 next month.
She is also showing interest in skeet shooting
I started at 9 shooting at birds with BB gun. At age 11 had a 12 gauge and hunted all day by myself on my grandmas 120 acres.

My daughter brought our first grandson to our hunting lease when he was 1 year old.
At age 4 practicing with .22 at lease.
53026_600x400.jpg

Few years later with his third gobbler (one per year) taken with .410 shotgun.
53030_600x400.jpg

Two hogs with his uncle- shot with his7-08, uncles .223 hog in front
53555_600x400.jpg

In college - 10 point buck
55553_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No one-size-fits-all answer. When the kid is ready, and when you are ready LOL. I wouldn’t put anything in the calendar just yet.

My son turned 12 just prior to 2021 hunting season. He got his first whitetail and helped feed the family. We made him earn the hunt by maturing in certain other areas. It was a proud hunt for both of us.

Think the answer to the OP's question is, when they are ready. It definitely varies for every child.
One of my earliest memories is shooting a fencepost with my Grandpa holding up the rifle. BB gun practice was pretty regular before I was 5. Probably shot my first bird with a BB gun around 5 or 6.
My son went on his 1st deer hunt when he was 6 months old. Made him carry his own rifle too, lol. Wife played with him at the tent while I prowled the hills looking for a deer. He went again when he was 4, both antelope and deer. While I don't remember exactly how old he was when he could hunt starlings on his own, I do remember having to reluctantly ground him when he broke his mother's rule about shooting robins. Right in front of the kitchen window. :E Shake Head: Lesson learned though; he still remembers it some 30 years later.
Started him with the BB gun before he was 4. Safety, safety, safety. Guns were always available to look at and handle by just asking; with me to explain what they were and how they worked. Totally removes the forbidden fruit aspect. Never had an issue with him or the grandkids, who also started with BB guns at 4 or 5.
Get them involved as young as possible, then adapt as they show you what they are ready for. As other's have pointed out, each kid is different. Some will get into it, others won't. Congrats to those of you getting started with your families! Enjoy their growing up!

Locally, each year I see numerous big big deer being killed by children who still have to sit in a car booster seat. IMO, gifting children big game (particularly trophy size animals) is doing them a big disservice. They need to start out small and they need to know the how to's of hunting and scouting - not sitting in a heated box blind playing a video game until a big buck shows up.

4-5 is a good time to let them tag along just walking on small game or upland hunting. 6-7 years old is a good time to introduce a bb/pellet gun or 22lr at the range under very strict supervision. 9-10 years old they can start hunting small game and start deer hunting at 11-12.

My oldest started turkey at nine and big game at ten.

I was running hog traps and sitting in a duck boat with my family in diapers. I had toilet paper and mittens for ear protection. I turned out just fine,,,I think

My maternal grandmother carried my potty chair to the woods when they started me hunting, I was that young. Been enjoying it ever since.

I never went shooting with my father? Didn’t believe in rifles? I went shooting with his best friend and son around 7-8 22lr. Best memories ever. I bought my son a 22lr at age 9 after taking the hunter safety course. He killed two pigs with head shots two months later. Took Him to Africa last June for 5 animals. He had a great time. He still remembers the first pig he shot. No pressure shot. He also help butcher it up as well as cook it. My daughter is older, she doesn’t like shooting or hunting. I did take her to the range, she told me she would rather draw them than shoot them. She does love eating them!!
I built my son a 243 around age 11. He now shoots 308 at 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber