What 375 H & H rifle would you Purchase and Why

Update here... I just needed another 375 H&H in my safe. This one is a Mark X. I will probably put it in a B&C Medalist stock & put a Zeiss Conquest on it. Or I might use my Exhibition Grade Walnut blank & really make a project out of it. Either way, hell it's a 375 H&H. Bloody Hell, Monish might have been right after all..

I own a CZ550 in 375H&H. She is a sub MOA shooter out of the box ,hits like the hammer of thor, holds 5 rounds, two stage trigger, controled round feed 2 way safety, managable recoil, what's not to like?

Can't go wrong with the CZ 550. It's not the fanciest gun and that's a plus to me because mine tend to get knocked around a bit. But this is a solid performer. I had shot a dozen big game animals in Africa with a Browning Medalion 375 H&H. Then stepped up to a Weatherby 460 on another trip to Africa then I bought my first CZ 550 in Rigby 416 as a dedicated buffalo gun. I like it so much I sold the Browning and replace that with a CZ 550 for my 375 H&H gun. I like the 5 round capcity the low recoil of this masive gun, the ruggedness and of course the accuracy. I'm buying a 3rd CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery just becuase I love these guns and big bore guns.

CZ's are still the best value for ANY caliber...plenty of entry level guns out there for a bit less...but what will they be worth/look like in 10 to 15 years.................Had a chance to hold a CZ "effect".......very nice...........wish they would make a 527 FS in 17 Hornet.........would make that #16 in my CZ/BRNO collection..................good luck with that new 550 in 375..........if there ever was a "world" gun CZ is it

No you can't go wrong with a CZ550 the performance is awsome. I use Barnes 250Gr TTSX with 79.5Gr of RE-15 and I chroned that round at 3030FPS at the Range. I shot at a steel gong at 100 meters off hand that was 7"X11"that was 1/2"thick and the bullet went through and through leaving a huge hole. Ya gotta like that. As a sideline. That even seems to out perform the 340 Weatherby published data for Barns 250gr TSX. I will never ever feel underguned anywhere in North America and I know I can shoot it and hit what I shot at.

No you can't go wrong with a CZ550 the performance is awsome. I use Barnes 250Gr TTSX with 79.5Gr of RE-15 and I chroned that round at 3030FPS at the Range. I shot at a steel gong at 100 meters off hand that was 7"X11"that was 1/2"thick and the bullet went through and through leaving a huge hole. Ya gotta like that. As a sideline. That even seems to out perform the 340 Weatherby published data for Barns 250gr TSX. I will never ever feel underguned anywhere in North America and I know I can shoot it and hit what I shot at.

Giving thought to trying to develop a load for that bullet in my M70. What are you setting the COAL at if you don't mind my asking?

Don't handload.........I have picked up a minimum of 20 boxes of ammo for each of me babies once I knew what they liked.......before ammo went CRAZY.....................also bought the loading dies for each caliber....just in case..................kinda expensive to get started HL'ing now when I bought my super premium ammo for 15 to 25 bucks a box...................I remember when Dicks was clearing out their ammo that did not move I rec'd a call from the manager since he knew I was a serious shooter and I scored at least 40 boxes of 340wby/338-378/7mmwby/338wm/7mm STW for $10/box.......why handload.....for me that is.........worth at least 2K conservatively

We are Sako dealers as well as Kimber & just about all the rest of the major players. After selling a few to customers & hunting Africa for the 1st time I have ordered myself a Sako Kodiak in 375. I love the open sights & will shoot it that way & also with a Trijicon Acupoint 1-6 scope. I plan to shoot it a lot to keep in tune for my next Africa hunt. I may also buy myself a Kimber Caprivi in 375 - I LOVE it's looks but hunting in the bush can be hard on a rifle...

:)
I am looking at purchasing a 375 H & H in either a Sako or Montana Rifle.

I am open to suggestions on what rifle you would suggest and why you would pick that maker.

thank you
I did own a Kimber Talkeetna and it was a great shooting rifle although a bit heavy after carrying it in the bush all day. I just switched to a Dakota Model 97 Hunter and topped it with a Swarovski 1- 6 x 40. It is a little lighter and shoots as well as the Kimber if not a little better. You can't go wrong with either! Shoot straight..

I recently bought a Sako Bavarian and love it! Was concerned about the stock but it fits like a glove and I'm extremely pleased with it.

Sorry Sir,

no Sako, no Montana.
Sure,both are very good rifles.
Around the world with one gun:
take the Blaser R 8 and a Zeiss Vario Point
Foxi
R8_Pro_Hunter.png

As mentioned on other threads, I own 2 x 375 H & H.. the older one in BRNO 602 and the newer one in CZ . I also own 458WM in CZ..I also own 300WM in CZ.I have never had a minutes problems with the CZ/ BRNO ( other than the 2 x high spots on the 300WM stock/ touching the barrel)
VERY good feed actions, rugged, accurate as hell, I only shoot 300g Swift A Frame or Federal solids in the 375's. Have hunted RSA, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana with most of these rifles and taken 4 x of the Big 5 with the 375 ( only rhino outstanding)...have also taken jackal, duiker, hyena and just about all the antelope species with 375... the 375 has become an extension to my arm and I don't hunt anywhere without one of them along.
Being less expensive, you then have some spare cash to invest in a BETTER scope and mounts to be fitted... NOT knocking ANY of the other fantastic makes here, just giving my personal experience and preference.

Reactions: IvW
I owned a CZ in 375HH for my Africa trip and sold it when I got Home(a weak moment} later I picked up the Highly Underated Whitworth/Zastava in 375HH I must say the Whitworth is a well built great looking and an Outstanding shooter at about 3#less in weight that the CZ. Looking forward I decided I need a 404 Jeff,and of all the affordable actions out there I decided to buy a donor CZ550 in 375HH and sent it to my GS for a Barrel replacement, and Action Mod to accept the Larger in diameter 404

I recently bought a Sako Bavarian and love it! Was concerned about the stock but it fits like a glove and I'm extremely pleased with it.
Stunning looking rifle!!!

Brno ZKK 602 with the pop up peep sight in the rear receiver, is all you need for a very effective and reliable rifle. Fit a custom stock if the standard one does not fit you.

The Montana rifle seems like a great rifle, can't go wrong with an M70 in 375 H&H either. I prefer the CZ for the larger calibers (450 Rigby, 500 Jeffery, etc). The CZ action is massively strong, a bit too heavy for a 375 H&H in my opinion, but perfect for the larger calibers.

CZ550 then have AHR do a #2 upgrade.
Add a Leuopld VX-5 or 6 and you are done for under $5K.
This is probably the best value out there.

Dakota 76 PH with the QD swing mounts would be a dream rifle for me.
Once you add an optic, it's nearly double the price of the CZ.

This is why I own a CZ and not a Dakota.
Just my 2 cents.

I’ve got 2 375 H&H Rifles. One from the Remington Custom shop a 700 MTR stainless and is very accurate. My other is a Kimber Caprivi and it’s a true 1/2 Moa shooter. I’d recommend the Kimber with controlled round feed!

I am with Foxi on this one - Blaser R8. Mine sports a Leica. They are extraordinary rifles. Wearing its .375 barrel, I have taken everything from cape buffalo to Suni with mine - with shots from nearly 300 meters to 30. They are also perfect right out of the box.

Last edited:
My first 375 h&h was a Ruger #1. Hunted alot of animals with that rifle and it really was excellent, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldnt bond with it. It was almost as if something was missing with the rifle. When I almost lost a Wildebeest last year on a hunt near Alldays, because I couldnt reload quick enough, I realised that I am too clumsy for a singleshot and that I am a turnbolt rifleman at heart. I had to have this calibre in a boltgun. Our only really big hunting retailer was running a special on the CZ 550 Safari Classic so I sold the Ruger about a year ago and replaced it with a CZ and I couldnt be happier.

A0EF3CFF-CC52-4A5D-A42B-0020D4021F59.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross