What’s your beater rifle?

View attachment 336186 OK here is mine. (Good post BTW). 1903 Springfield still in 30-06. Given to me by a relative in Utah about 50 years ago. Metal work done by a gunsmith in Dawson Creek. hand carved stock by (Chris) Wilcox Gunworks in Cherryville BC. Timney trigger. 2.5x8 Leupold scope. It is surprisingly accurate.

Great rifle but the mid size Leupold is my favorite scope for 90% of the hunting I do. I just wish they made a similar size and weight in the VX-5 line.

My “beater”... but dependable and accurate Rem. 788
788 .223
788 .22/250
788 .308
All have factory triggers that were “tuned”.
8706BB5F-C943-43F4-8925-F7B7ACD645AA.jpeg

Top is my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H (one of my go to guns)

My “beater”... but dependable and accurate Rem. 788
788 .223
788 .22/250
788 .308
All have factory triggers that were “tuned”.
View attachment 336194
Top is my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H (one of my go to guns)
I always like it when someone shows their Remington 788's. I remember when they came and all the gun writers hated them because they couldn't be accurate because of the rear locking multiple lugs. But they are very accurate little rifles. Thanks for posting them.

they were never noted for inaccuracy, quite the opposite.
at one stage the ones in 222 were up there in benchrest results.
what the rear locking actions were noted for is the same as all rear locking actions.
poor case life.
this is because the actions have more spring than front lockers, and brass expands more,
then it has to be sized more.
this work hardens the brass more an it splits or separates sooner.
bruce.

image.jpeg
Ok here's one of mine. It's a 1918 vintage Remington made M1917 Enfield that was sporterized I'm guessing in the 1920's or 30's. The barrel is original just nicely turned down. It has Pacific banded front and rear receiver sights. It's still in 30-06.

It was given to me around 30 years ago from a coworker who thought Enfields were junk and only 03 Springfields were worth having and he had some very nice ones.

It's been my truck/camp gun since then. I don't take any special care of it but I do clean and oil all guns after use. Really basic maintenance is all that's needed even in rainy environments. I've used blued steel wood stocked guns from southeast Alaska, British Columbia and Washington state for many years in lots of rain and snow without problems.

they were never noted for inaccuracy, quite the opposite.
at one stage the ones in 222 were up there in benchrest results.
what the rear locking actions were noted for is the same as all rear locking actions.
poor case life.
this is because the actions have more spring than front lockers, and brass expands more,
then it has to be sized more.
this work hardens the brass more an it splits or separates sooner.
bruce.
Yes I'm aware of that. It was the gun writers as I mentioned who didn't like them when they first saw them.

View attachment 336240 Ok here's one of mine. It's a 1918 vintage Remington made M1917 Enfield that was sporterized I'm guessing in the 1920's or 30's. The barrel is original just nicely turned down. It has Pacific banded front and rear receiver sights. It's still in 30-06.

It was given to me around 30 years ago from a coworker who thought Enfields were junk and only 03 Springfields were worth having and he had some very nice ones.

It's been my truck/camp gun since then. I don't take any special care of it but I do clean and oil all guns after use. Really basic maintenance is all that's needed even in rainy environments. I've used blued steel wood stocked guns from southeast Alaska, British Columbia and Washington state for many years in lots of rain and snow without problems.

Mate, that is an awesome rifle (y)(y)(y)

View attachment 336191

If you consider a Springfield M1903 Mark I (1919) "better" then here it is.

Ray, I also have a Mark I sporter, although not nearly as nice as yours, with a Redfield rear sight and a Dahl banded front sight probably sporterized in the late '50s, early '60s.

B91Ltkpl.jpg

Attachments

• B91Ltkpl.jpg
    B91Ltkpl.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I was just kidding. That "beater" of a custom M70 of yours is one beautiful gun, I would love to own. But if that is a beater, I want to see your others!

Remington 788, I’ve seen a few and those that have them are suitably satisfied. Particularly given the age of these rifles.
I have a mate who has used one shooting Roos professionally. He calls it the mortgage payer.
He has worn out a couple having them Rebarelled numerous times.
@KoadaKane what year were they. Selling for $80 new . ($U.S.)
I see them for sale From maybe $350 to $600 secondhand. There re still people in Australia that like the 788 for whatever the appeal is to them.

Hi Chris,

It was back in 1964-65 when I worked in the sporting goods store. I was then into converting Mauser ‘98 and Springfield actions into hunting calibers suitable for those actions. Back then they were just inexpensive Remington (788) rifles.

It was only within the last 20 years that I started to”collect” the M-788’s. A fellow heard I had a number of them and made an offer to buy 11 of them in calibers .222,.223, .3o8, 6mm, 30-30, .243, Included were 2 left hand. 788’s. We came to an an agreement and I retained a few for myself.

It’s hard to pass one up if the price is right.

Thanks for your interest and reply

Don't have a "beater"...I hunt with the best I have, no safe queens at all. It includes some nicely engraved/nicely stocks beauties, but life is too short to shoot an ugly gun! Now, a LOANER gun, I need to get.

Before I acquired my 375 my beater was, and still is, a Rem 600 Mohawk 308. Black synthetic stock is now quite gray, a lot of blue is gone. I did put a Timney trigger in it and had it tuned a little. Ugly as sin but it shoots.

Before I acquired my 375 my beater was, and still is, a Rem 600 Mohawk 308. Black synthetic stock is now quite gray, a lot of blue is gone. I did put a Timney trigger in it and had it tuned a little. Ugly as sin but it shoots.

I always thought the Mohawk looked neat. Had the plastic vent rib been steel it would be cool. Another example of Remingtons ability to design an excellent cartridge and kill it with the wrong platform (6.5 and 350 Rem Mags).

Don't have a "beater"...I hunt with the best I have, no safe queens at all. It includes some nicely engraved/nicely stocks beauties, but life is too short to shoot an ugly gun! Now, a LOANER gun, I need to get.
This is an illusion. I have tried for years to achieve the loaner gun status, but somehow during the setup a bond is formed. Maybe I have it covered now with my .375 Encore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg