What’s the best watch to wear on safari?

I wear either a Suunto Traverse Alpha or a Sangin Brushed Pro with the Black Divers Bezel. If I’m Elk or Mule Deer Hunting here in the states it’s the Suunto for the GPS capabilities. I’ve found it’s pretty easy to interface the watch with my handheld unit and/or my phone when marking points.

I saw this watch today in a shop and nearly walked out with it...
1670727040523.png

43mm stainless case and contrasting leather deployment clasp
Illuminated numbers and hands with sapphire anti-reflective glass
Automatic movement with clear case back
The onion crown stands alone on the edge
So simple and yet so complex...

I wish it didn't look so good on my wrist.
Never should have went into that store.

I find my Garmin Fenix 6 fantastic. I love the ability to mark waypoints ( dead aninal, last blood, Cruiser, camp etc and use that info to save time. Its black, doesn’t bling to much, but I can cover with a buff/ sweatband. Battery life is good and with a small 20 mA charger I get 30 days plus out of it given no electricity.

Its helped me find plenty smalll game in tall grass with its tracking function

I'm an idiot in that I have too many hunting rifles. I'd have been better off owning less and hunting more.

That's my recommendation for this thread. Buy a Timex Ironman and go hunting on the savings from not having bought a multi-thousand dollar watch.

I saw this watch today in a shop and nearly walked out with it...
View attachment 505051
43mm stainless case and contrasting leather deployment clasp
Illuminated numbers and hands with sapphire anti-reflective glass
Automatic movement with clear case back
The onion crown stands alone on the edge
So simple and yet so complex...

I wish it didn't look so good on my wrist.
Never should have went into that store.
Well, it's almost Christmas... you can always slip a little message (leaving a pc tab open on it) for your wife ;)

This is the so-called "Big" pilot watch model, with the larger crown on the side. Did they explain what the difference/advantage is compared to the normal sized crowns? Or is it purely a stylistic difference?

Well, it's almost Christmas... you can always slip a little message (leaving a pc tab open on it) for your wife ;)

This is the so-called "Big" pilot watch model, with the larger crown on the side. Did they explain what the difference/advantage is compared to the normal sized crowns? Or is it purely a stylistic difference?
I didn’t get into too much at the store with the salesman at the shop, preferring to do my research at home. It looked good on my wrist so I did an internet dive on it. Shocked to find out it’s not a chronometer for that price.

I was texting with another member about this as well. I need another watch like I need another rifle. :ROFLMAO:

I didn’t get into too much at the store with the salesman at the shop, preferring to do my research at home. It looked good on my wrist so I did an internet dive on it. Shocked to find out it’s not a chronometer for that price.

I was texting with another member about this as well. I need another watch like I need another rifle. :ROFLMAO:
I do not think "need" was ever a predominant decider in watches/fine rifles....

This I like quite a lot as well, very simple:
1670931308037.png

I do not think "need" was ever a predominant decider in watches/fine rifles....

This I like quite a lot as well, very simple:
View attachment 505350
Very nice. I saw several versions of this in the store as well. My issue is that I don’t want a date window, and I have to go to the 43mm to do that.

Very nice. I saw several versions of this in the store as well. My issue is that I don’t want a date window, and I have to go to the 43mm to do that.
any particular reason why you would not want to have a date window? I find that a must for a daily wearer.

any particular reason why you would not want to have a date window? I find that a must for a daily wearer.
The simplicity and symmetry of the face. Just a pretty watch that keeps good time and my wife is happy with me wearing when I "dress up".

My other watches are a '74 Speedmaster and a more recent production Plant Ocean and fall into the sport category with multiple sub-dials, day/date...etc. I enjoy them, but sometimes seem busy to me.

A multipurpose dress watch would fit the bill nicely. The fact that the IWC has a deployment clasp is a nice touch as well. As for her buying it for me... If I really wanted it, she would have gotten it for me already. She knows I'm just looking.

Besides the Omega Railmaster is on the list as well. The bonus for this one is that it's a chronometer, has the plain face on top of being less expensive. Downside is it's not the IWC 43mm BPW.
1670960779259.png

Last edited:

The large crown is maybe not as necessary today but the reason can be found in the type of watch this was originally, a flieger (pilot) watch... In it‘s roll as a pilots watch, it was essential that the crown could be manipulated with gloves on…
today it’s certainly more heritage than functional…definitely recognizable…a classic!

you can’t go wrong with IWC! This would be a nice pick up, a timeless classic, for dress or casual wear… a real hunting companion! I vote you should pick it up ;)

My new go to watch for hunting. Thank you to my bride for picking it out.

1685833138908.png

I'll try again. Last post went to Twilight Zone.
16858387882517849424163809803462.jpg

Thirty bucks, easy to read, dial lights on demand, indestructible. This one has survived gutting at least a dozen animals. Why own more than one watch? Why worry about losing it or getting robbed? I don't get it.

Edit: Crap! Two threads same subject.

Rolex Submariner manufactured in 1976. It has been on my wrist since I think 1992. For three decades It has been everywhere on the planet I have been whether in the military, the corporate world, personal travel or shredding the pasture out back. It has kept perfect time and never even been cleaned. I find I just don't much care for throw-away watches, pens, or guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross