Westley Richards

Very nice. I’ve seen Smithson mounts show up on several best English rifles now. Good stuff. Always admired WR lines.

I’m I the only one thst feels if money was not a concern, and I had to chose between a best quality Rigby and Westley Richards i’d go with the latter.

Obviously for the argument I’m narrowing down to the two gun houses, and not including H&W, H&H, Boss etc.
Dewal,

Even though I have an unabashed bias!!! towards Westley Richards, I would agree with you. We all have our favorites though. I do know that WR does not build for the rack. All the other great English houses do. From my time at the factory I can tell you that it is all done in house. It was amazing to see what was being created and the time that is expended on each part of the process. They can absolutely create anything that a customer can dream up. In my opinion the best currently available anywhere. My rifle is only a Best Quality Rifle, they also make Exhibition Grade! They are truly wonders of the Gunmaker and engraving arts.

JP

JP,
Such a stunning rifle! Congrats and I am very happy for you. Do you have plans with it?
Cheers,
Scott
Scott,

Thank you, I have only had it for 3 months, I have not even fired it yet or mounted the scope. I fully intend to use this rifle for what it was made to do. I am going to do the one rifle thing. I have done the multiple rifle/double thing but at this stage of my life I just want to do the one rifle approach And do it with something nice. I have been to the Ume River Camp in Zimbabwe many years ago, my first, and plan to go back on Safari again. Not sure what country yet though, but this time a truly wild place would be a must. I would also like to do a coastal brown brown bear hunt from a nice boat type hunt. have to make the wife happy too. She has always wanted to see the wilds of Alaska.

JP

Congratulations @JPetroni, that rifle is what dreams are made from. Congratulations on having survived the 5 year wait time. I'd be going banana's after 5 weeks!

I hope you will use it on many safari's to come. Do not hesitate to get a couple of scratches in. It will add to the character.
Vertigo,

Thank you. Thats the thing, from my own experiences, purchasing a Westley Richards Rifle is as much of an experience as it is just buying a rifle, I am not a name dropper but the staff at WR involved me in every detail and were in contact with me on a regular basis with updates, photos and were very accommodating with everything that I wanted and even made suggestions that I would not have thought of. First and foremost though is the mentality that they build something that you can and possibly will bet your life on, the beauty is secondary.
They also did the little things that I did not even know about until I received it. A surprise if you will, like when I opened the action. The magazine follower was engraved with the 5 Cartridges just like the floorplate. Not something we even spoke about but I like it. it was one of many things they did that made the whole experience one of the best things I have done, ever. LONDON Was pretty cool too though, LOL

It is funny you mention the scratches. the staff told me on more than one occasion the same thing, make sure you use it, that is why we put so much effort into what we build. Don’t let it sit in a safe somewhere. I intend to do just that.

JP

I am at a loss for superlatives - it is simply breathtakingly beautiful @JPetroni, congratulations upon taking such a journey to the pinnacle. If I were a buffalo I would consider it a great honour to be shot by that rifle. Enjoy many happy hunts with it, I hope one day it will come to Zimbabwe.

Kevin,

Thank you, it was great experience. Just like with you and your double or all the other members here with their various gun afflictions and dreams of such things, that when we finally place an order for our dream rifle, that it is one of the greatest experiences of our lives. Mine certainly did not disappoint.
The Buffalo comment is hilarious, I will ask him when I see him, LOL

JP

As a left handed young hunter, this is literally what dreams are made of. I got an early model Dakota Safari in 30-06 this year and it pales in comparison to this amazing piece of craftsmanship.
112Savage,

As a young person and afflicted with the LEFT HAND, I feel your pain. Our choices are few indeed. Congratulations on the Dakota, I still have a Safari Model that I started with many years ago. Never let me down. Don’t kid yourself they are Great Rifles, extremely well made and accurate. don’t ever sell it, there will be no more. And you have a great caliber as well.

JP

Last edited:
Very nice. I’ve seen Smithson mounts show up on several best English rifles now. Good stuff. Always admired WR lines.
Baxter,

Thank you. I had the choice of any style of scope mounts I wanted, from the H&H style, claw mounts, swing off etc etc. I mean anything. After much discussion with the staff and on their recommendation I went with the Smithson System. For me at least, it is the best. I just don’t like how rifles look, with the other systems, my Dakota included, without the scope on. I do like to hunt with open sights, the Smithson preserves the look of the double Square bridges when a scope is not used and to be honest they are just a marvel on how they work and the fittment and skill required to do them PROPERLY . Some folks do not like them, I get it. We all have different taste or needs.

JP

I would just like to thank everyone for all the very kind comments, appreciate it. as I have said before, in my circle of life, other than my wife who appreciates such things, this venue is the only place where I can share and participate with like minded, good hearted people who share a common passion. If you all would indulge me, I would like to share a few more photos.

FB3094DF-0E68-455C-BD33-914D7CDDDF77.jpeg

For myself, at least, I really like the look with the scope off, no obstruction of the sights.
F556FC68-B42F-4F7D-A218-D440A079BA87.jpeg
70D23679-EE85-46F3-9505-337563CD67F4.jpeg

Smallest of detail, the stippling on the front of the trigger.

593E3889-2733-4239-A65A-B1DC947DBFD8.jpeg

B45DBB5B-114E-40DB-B7F2-B1164B7D2313.jpeg

AFBC70DF-D854-4B08-BE25-D87C9AB66CFB.jpeg

9A8271BC-5365-4322-9293-4C4934489B6B.jpeg

64E406BF-81F2-455D-9CC9-3D90533C8B2C.jpeg

FF16A4B7-2648-42E6-8AC4-2E393E179693.jpeg

E15F3FDC-DC72-42FB-9D33-3406F70E497A.jpeg

CB80AED8-0CED-4C07-A02B-11619831245F.jpeg

77E5D623-036E-44A8-90CB-7FCFE31C05E2.jpeg

And of course we need a little bit of kit to go with it. Sorry for the wording, could not resist. in my opinion the best leather there is. The cleaning Kit was also a nice touch, for emergency field use only.
E3869D91-822D-4141-9FA0-731229CA2737.jpeg

AD52FA2E-3795-43A0-A733-053A50837A42.jpeg

88342D78-E080-4B32-9006-1C23A768171A.jpeg
94BFDA7A-010B-4055-87A3-FB8FD031DCE6.jpeg
77E5D623-036E-44A8-90CB-7FCFE31C05E2.jpeg

I also cannot wait to see the soft cases that are supposed to arrive next week, one in full un-patterned mid-tan leather and another in mid-tan leather and canvas to match the theme of the hard case and cover, serial numbered to the Rifle. A gift from my understanding and beautiful wife for Christmas.

I also want to thank the community for all that you have shared over the years, even before I registered. I have learned so much from you folks and have always appreciated you all sharing your projects, advice and wisdom in the passion that we share.

JP

Thank you @JPetroni for sharing such a lovely creation with us. Thanks to your patronage these great houses can continue to exist and produce many more lovely works of art in the future.

Is that a standard operating procedure for most London gun rooms? They probably wouldn’t even let me through the doors
Nar its because of security. Also people copy them. But mostly the fpoint 1.

I also cannot wait to see the soft cases that are supposed to arrive next week, one in full un-patterned mid-tan leather and another in mid-tan leather and canvas to match the theme of the hard case and cover, serial numbered to the Rifle. A gift from my understanding and beautiful wife for Christmas.

I also want to thank the community for all that you have shared over the years, even before I registered. I have learned so much from you folks and have always appreciated you all sharing your projects, advice and wisdom in the passion that we share.

JP
All the best and Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy your Rifle.
Krish.

I would just like to thank everyone for all the very kind comments, appreciate it. as I have said before, in my circle of life, other than my wife who appreciates such things, this venue is the only place where I can share and participate with like minded, good hearted people who share a common passion. If you all would indulge me, I would like to share a few more photos.

View attachment 506135
For myself, at least, I really like the look with the scope off, no obstruction of the sights.
View attachment 506132View attachment 506133
Smallest of detail, the stippling on the front of the trigger.

View attachment 506134
View attachment 506136
View attachment 506137
View attachment 506139
View attachment 506140
View attachment 506141
View attachment 506142
View attachment 506143
View attachment 506147

And of course we need a little bit of kit to go with it. Sorry for the wording, could not resist. in my opinion the best leather there is. The cleaning Kit was also a nice touch, for emergency field use only.
View attachment 506144
View attachment 506149
View attachment 506145View attachment 506146View attachment 506147
It has a tiger wood beautiful lines about it. The oil rubbed finish really brings out the character of the wood! I am guessing high grade walnut?

Congratulations @JPetroni, that rifle is what dreams are made from. Congratulations on having survived the 5 year wait time. I'd be going banana's after 5 weeks!

I hope you will use it on many safari's to come. Do not hesitate to get a couple of scratches in. It will add to the character.
Forgive me JP I am sure you mentioned it just can’t find it…375 H&H caliber?

Forgive me JP I am sure you mentioned it just can’t find it…375 H&H caliber?
On the Westley Richards website it is mentioned as .375 H&H.

You can find it if you go to Westley Richards website, click on "The Explora" and type in the search field "gold name left hand"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MirandaU08

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.