www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Just a note to everyone who has an upcoming international trip planned. Please do not put any of your valuable items - cell phones, cameras, optics, etc. in your checked luggage. A client of ours recently returned from South Africa - he had placed his camera in his checked baggage and it was lifted out of his bag - not only did he lose his camera but also all of his safari photos on the memory card that was inside! Last summer we also had clients who put their cell phone and camera with memory card in checked baggage only to find them missing when they returned home. Both of these instances were on different airlines and routing but both flights originated from Jo-burg. It's better to be safe than sorry!

I had several things stolen from my checked baggage in Joburg.. Once was enough. Hardly anything but clothes goes into checked bags anymore.

Lori,

How does TSA view scopes in carry on? Any specific incidents? Any specific rules?

Mike,

I can't imagine that scopes would be a problem - it would be similar to a spotting scope which is fine. I think as long as there are no actual firearm parts in your checked bag you are O.K.

Thanks Lori. This issue of lifting valuable out of luggage in Johannesburg has been taking place for a long time however it seems to be only getting worse. Those thieves at the airport know exactly what to look for when it comes to luggage and I am certain that they can even tell the difference between a tourist and a hunting tourist. They are opportunistic and they seem to mainly target the valuable stuff out of people's luggage. As Lori said, these thefts seems to be coming from Johannesburg for the majority, take place inbound, in transit or outbound and are rarely reported...

Hi Lori.
I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be an advantage to travel to places such as J'burg with lockable baggage ?
Is it as simple as that or is the problem bigger than that ?
I know that quite a few of hunters comming out to our camp are now travelling with luggage that provides for quite secure locking facilities and have been told that they aquired succh luggage for their travel to Africa.

Thank-you,
PaulT.

Paul, we always use TSA locks when flying anywhere just to keep the "honest" people out. Apparently our client that recently had the camera stolen did have his bag locked. TSA locks should not be accessible by airline/security personnel in Africa so it's a good security precaution but maybe not 100% foolproof.

Hi gals and guys.
Since early days when I travel by either air, sea or land, I always make sure that what you cant find again, stays in cabin luggage. Ammo you can always find, guns are rarely stolen.
Its good to know, that things like scope, binocular, camera etc are in same bag as wallet and passport.
I recomend that you always carry as much as possible in "cabin luggage" !

Hello,

Thanks Lori for the info.

I too always only travel with clothes in my check in luggage. Last time my new locks were broken and stolen but nothing was taken from my bag... maybe they didnt like my clothes ahahahha.... :) To be honnest i did have one old Dig camera at the bottom on my clothes but it was still there wow !!

Mike,

I can't imagine that scopes would be a problem - it would be similar to a spotting scope which is fine. I think as long as there are no actual firearm parts in your checked bag you are O.K.

Bino's, cameras, etc have always travelled as my carry on. I agree it should not be a problem to carry a scope (or it could be called a monocular), but remember that common sense has no place at TSA.

I've heard of some mixed results when trying to fly with a rifle scope in carry on bags, although I agree it shouldn't be a problem. I'm headed out in late May, and would much rather bring the scope along in my carry-on but b/c of the potential for a massive screw-up with TSA (or others), I'm leaning towards just leaving it in my locked Peilcan case w/rifle.

Rifle scopes are considered as military equipment in England. I had a big problem there coming back from the USA with a new scope, still in it's sealed box, in my carry on bag. Nowhere else was it a problem.

Thanks for the info Lori! I am taking my bow to South Africa and was going to ship it in my check luggage which is a big rolling duffel with a drop bottom should i still do this. Seems to be the way everyone does it.

Billy,

Glad to see you back - hope you and your son are both on the mend! You should be fine with your bow in the duffel as I think it's mostly electronics they are looking to get a quick dollar for. I would just make sure it's protected very well and that compartment can be locked using TSA locks or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross