Wanted Good Used .470 Double Rifle

I emailed them - didn't find it on the website - I am new to doubles so if I am missing something please weigh in
All Heym doubles in a series, say the 88 type, have identical mechanical spec, the various add ons are purely cosmetic. The plain unadorned PH model is actually quite reasonable, and the 88B is more so than the 89B. So I think it absolutely possible you will find one for that budget.

The gun in your pictures is the 89B PH, or Africa unadorned version, much the same as far as I can tell. It looks to be in immaculate condition, I would seriously consider it, it is Africa proven and probably the strongest lockup you can get today. I am not a gunsmith, but boy have I studied these Heyms, right down to machining details. I just cant see any fault, and that Greener bolt is the crown for me. Styling was never their strong suit until the 89B came along, but you pay extra for that with just a little added ergonomics to go along with the beautiful looks. I am going for the 89B Africa plain model in 450/400.

Sorr
The gun in your pictures is the 89B PH, or Africa unadorned version, much the same as far as I can tell. It looks to be in immaculate condition, I would seriously consider it, it is Africa proven and probably the strongest lockup you can get today. I am not a gunsmith, but boy have I studied these Heyms, right down to machining details. I just cant see any fault, and that Greener bolt is the crown for me. Styling was never their strong suit until the 89B came along, but you pay extra for that with just a little added ergonomics to go along with the beautiful looks. I am going for the 89B Africa plain model in 450/400.
Sorry, my typo error, the double in your photos is the 88B PH model, not the 89.

Have you seen this one??

Krieghoff 470
That is a very good price for that rifle! The mounts alone are worth a meaningful premium. And you can always use that scope on a Mossberg .22. ;) But a lightly used K-Gun in that caliber, set up for a scope should be a $12K - 14K rifle.

Beck— checkout Guns America—- gulf breeze firearms Florida. 140 Merkel with full kit; box - Buffalo soft case- paperwork— cleaning kit—ammo—. Flip up mammoth bead and more. Price 8995—.Duke-1-850-932-4867. Arabesque engraving. Jacques

470 Nitro.
Screenshot_2021-01-25_122621.jpeg

Can you tell me where this is for sale?

That gun is listed on Gunbroker.
He has had it listed for awhile. I emailed twice about 10 days ago some questions on it and never got a reply. So I blew that one off my list.

I got the guy to respond. I am going to inspect the gun in a few weeks. I have trouble sending someone nearly ten grand without any kind of guarantee or inspection period.

Where are you located? I'm in East Texas and could meet you near Dallas or OKC. I have a Chapuis 470NE I'd consider moving on as I don't see any hunts in my future that are in need of a 470NE. Plus, I have 4 of them so, I need to thin the herd to something I would use as I grow older.

If and when you buy your .470, I have dies, brass and bullets for sale as my .470 Lyon is gone.
Send me a PM for details.
All are going to the gun show February 13-14.
Cal

I have the following packed for the gun show:
RCBS 2-die set $200
RCBS 3-die set $300 (has an expander die for cast bullets)
500-grain bullets, $20 per box of 20. Unsure of make, Have 18 boxes, I think.
Brass $40 per 20. Nickel Federal.

My wife shoots a similar 88B in .450-.400. I believe the Heym that you are looking at is a early 88B. If you look at the bottom sides of the receiver they are very square cut, later are more rounded and a little more comfortable to carry. Secondly although hard to tell with your picture, but I do not believe the rib has the removable block that allows easy mounting of optics. I would certainly try to find out the rifles regulation and with what ammo. My uneducated guess is that the rifle may be in excess of ten years old, due to the superficial differences.

If that Heym is sound, and in your price range, vs. the others you are looking at, buy it. Heym and perhaps Chapuis are, from my information at least, in a different category of reliability that the other being discussed. Or find a used English double from a lesser known maker but of high quality.

Better yet, solicit direct advice from @cal pappas and @Red Leg

I am getting awfully close to buying a rifle at this point, and I want to thank all of the great members on this website. You guys/gals are always very thoughtful, and helpful. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg