Wanted Brown Bear Hunt

Hustad

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking for a Spring Brown Bear hunt in 23’or 24’. Any outfitter recommendations or ones to stay away from?

Thank you. I can assume you had a good hunt with him?

@Hustad

i guide for a outfitter, Mike Litzen. His company is Litzen Guide Service. he has a website showing the variety of hunts, of which Brown Bears is one. He has land camps and a boat hunt. the boat hunt is the hunt i work on. my client/hunter was guy on the bottom photo, next to the boat photo.

there are lots of great outfitters, i am just a little biased. :)

I have not hunted guided in Alaska only hunted on my own.

The three guys I know that are consistantly good are Mutts, Jake and Phil.

https://grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/ Phil and his whole family guide. His wife and son are pilots, and his daughter also guides. Maybe they all guide. Guides on the penninsula.

https://alaska-bearhunting.com/bear/ Jake Jefferson guides Kodiak and on the penninsula.

https://www.glacierguidesinc.com/ Mutts Jessica Decker (her father is a Weatherby award winner Jamie Rosenbruch) her husband also guides. They are the most expensive bear guides in the world, or damn near. They guide in SE.

Jake Jefferson. Black River Hunting Camps

Thank you. I can assume you had a good hunt with him?

As an Alaskan resident, I did not require his guide service. However, I have hunted for brown bears in the same area where Sam guides in 2010, 2018 and 2020. The 2020 hunt was to back up for a friend who had a tag.

Each time he was kind enough to share his local knowledge of the area and brown bear hunting tips without any reservation. I also visited with him and his clients at his base camp a couple of times the day before the opening day. We coordinated our hunts in order to avoid interfering with each other's hunts. Both times, his clients ended up with excellent specimen of Kodiak brown bears as did I and my friend. I would not hesitate in recommending Sam Rohrer for a Kodiak bear hunt.

Also I see Mike Litzen's name is mentioned above. Another friend and I used his transporter service in getting into our sheep hunting area a couple years ago. He was friendly, punctual and dependable. His staff at the base camp were very professional as well.

I have not hunted guided in Alaska only hunted on my own.

The three guys I know that are consistantly good are Mutts, Jake and Phil.

https://grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/ Phil and his whole family guide. His wife and son are pilots, and his daughter also guides. Maybe they all guide. Guides on the penninsula.

https://alaska-bearhunting.com/bear/ Jake Jefferson guides Kodiak and on the penninsula.

https://www.glacierguidesinc.com/ Mutts Jessica Decker (her father is a Weatherby award winner Jamie Rosenbruch) her husband also guides. They are the most expensive bear guides in the world, or damn near. They guide in SE.

Decker’s (Glacier Guides) are my neighbors. I know them well. Good family. They are very booked, might have room for you by then, hard to say without talking to them. She just lost her Jack Russell, who saved her life, so you might wait a day or two.

I’m looking for a Spring Brown Bear hunt in 23’or 24’. Any outfitter recommendations or ones to stay away from?

If you're thinking Alaska Peninsula (GMU 9), you'll need to wait till '24 for a spring hunt. No spring season in '23.
Kodiak (GMU 8) you could do either year, but if you're thinking of '23 I'd be looking to get it booked sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I guide for Mel Gillis on the AK Peninsula. Incredible area and not over hunted. No worries getting an 9’ or better bear in the spring. Exclusive area in the AK Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge.

Kodiak also offers some great hunting although the areas are much smaller.

If I were planning one, I would not overlook or discount a fall hunt either. Several outfitters and areas posted here are well established, high quality outfits operating in good areas. If you can walk reasonably well, no reason not to have a great chance at a 9' or better bear especially on the Peninsula or Kodiak. {Warning about spring hunt on Kodiak :) That can be one of the most physically challenging hunts anywhere!} The only unsuccessful bear hunters I've witnessed were either weathered out in the spring or couldn't or didn't feel like walking- even in reasonably good terrain spring or fall. Brown bear hunts are mostly spot and stalk type hunts. Once in a while like along the salt water coast or maybe even on a heavy salmon run with bears there may be opportunity to sit on something like a washed up whale or walrus carcass or a favorite stretch of river. Most hunters I think call one good brown bear... good for once in a lifetime. The common exceptions seem to be taking a smaller than expected, ground shrink bear or a bear with poor hide condition. Plan carefully and get in shape to walk in some tough conditions.

After killing a good one on the Peninsula a long time ago, I've run into a lot of good brown bears practically everywhere I've hunted (or fished) in AK since. For two years we couldn't stay out of their way while DYI caribou hunting out of Bethel. Most of those older boars seemed to be in the 9' category. Same for a area for a couple of years of moose hunting in the AK range foothills out of McGrath. good luck!

Last edited:
Got this one on the peninsula. It was awesome! shoot me a call if you'd like more info.

Screenshot_20191010-225826_WhatsApp.jpg
20191219_180010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lived in Ak in 70,s. Went to peninsula three times in spring over five years to get 6 bears for six people (myself and friends). Got 6 bears, without a guide-just diy. Best place I ever hunted in my life. Go if you can.

Keegan McCarthy in SE Alaska is one to consider. I hunted black bear with him in 2004 and had a great hunt. I've discussed brown bear with him, but have used those $'s on Africa instead! He is booked well in advanced but may have openings out in 23 or 24.

https://www.coastalalaskaadventures.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.27.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.27.50 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 130
Several years ago, I hunted brown bear with Butch King's Wildman Lake Lodge (https://wildalaskahunting.com/ ). Butch has a solid reputation for big brownies. It is expensive, prices now are pushing $30k for a 10 day hunt. Very remote, about 500 miles southwest of Anchorage. They do both Spring and Fall hunts, in alternating years as per Alaskan hunting regulations. They know the area well as they run a fishing camp all summer long. Most hunters are flown to remote spike camps in a Piper Super Cub, where you and your guide will spend up to 10 days. Camp is a 6 man tent and cots.

1617108076930.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.22 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.23 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 8.33.26 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
One thing to consider is a brown bear hunt in Russia, specifically the Kamchatka peninsula. Much more cost effective compared to Alaska hunts. I think @Red Leg had booked one for this year (not sure if it will happen), but still you can ask him the process. Obviously, one has to do due diligence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross