Wanted 70 lb Elephant

I've never seen this mentioned or discussed before, but I thought I would bring it up. In 1971 I was on my first African hunt, in Kenya with David Williams of Ker, Downey & Selby as my PH. I had a 68 pound elephant to my credit and had just completed two weeks of strenuous hunting in the North East Territory north of the Tana River, with no luck. We had broken camp and were driving back to Nairobi, when we were flagged down by one of the locals, who said that he could lead us to an enormous elephant. Everyone shook his head, evidently that was an old story, with the promised elephant turning out to be very ordinary, but this time, after the gun bearers and tracker had gone with the local, they came back grinning and we hurriedly unloaded guns and equipment and took off in the direction from which they had come.

Long story short, the elephant had big ivory, but only one tusk. The other tusk had evidently been broken off at the lip recently, since the nerve was still festering and the old boy was not in a cheerful mood. I had to decide whether to go for a one tusker, possibly a 100 pounder, or pass it up. I wasted no time in deciding to go for him.

It took some maneuvering to get a shot, and then it was far from ideal. We had come to a small clearing and spotted the elephant on the other side of the clearing, behind a large bush, which left only his head exposed. At the moment, his head was almost vertical as he readhed for a branch above him. I had to make a quick calculation in deciding where to aim, but I didn't hesitate and squeezed off the shot. The elephant dropped to the ground and struggled to get up, the 510 grain solid from my .458 double rifle had missed the brain, but had knocked him off his feet.

It was impossible to get closer, because we would have to cross the open area and that would expose us to the second elephant, the "askari" or companion, which old elephants sometimes have, who was trumpeting and generally kicking up a rumpus. There was no question in our minds that he would have charged us on sight.

A couple of shots more, and the old guy ceased struggling. The askari departed, evidently realizing that the situation was beyond his power to intervene. We were left to survey the animal at leisure.

When the tusk had been extracted and weighed, it tipped the scales at 94 pounds. Had the nerve been slightly smaller, it could have gone over the magical 100 mark. However, I was far from disappointed. That one massive tusk now adorns the wall in my library. My only regret was that it was impossible to locate the other tusk.

Krieghoff safari 005.jpg

I've never seen this mentioned or discussed before, but I thought I would bring it up. In 1971 I was on my first African hunt, in Kenya with David Williams of Ker, Downey & Selby as my PH. I had a 68 pound elephant to my credit and had just completed two weeks of strenuous hunting in the North East Territory north of the Tana River, with no luck. We had broken camp and were driving back to Nairobi, when we were flagged down by one of the locals, who said that he could lead us to an enormous elephant. Everyone shook his head, evidently that was an old story, with the promised elephant turning out to be very ordinary, but this time, after the gun bearers and tracker had gone with the local, they came back grinning and we hurriedly unloaded guns and equipment and took off in the direction from which they had come.

Long story short, the elephant had big ivory, but only one tusk. The other tusk had evidently been broken off at the lip recently, since the nerve was still festering and the old boy was not in a cheerful mood. I had to decide whether to go for a one tusker, possibly a 100 pounder, or pass it up. I wasted no time in deciding to go for him.

It took some maneuvering to get a shot, and then it was far from ideal. We had come to a small clearing and spotted the elephant on the other side of the clearing, behind a large bush, which left only his head exposed. At the moment, his head was almost vertical as he readhed for a branch above him. I had to make a quick calculation in deciding where to aim, but I didn't hesitate and squeezed off the shot. The elephant dropped to the ground and struggled to get up, the 510 grain solid from my .458 double rifle had missed the brain, but had knocked him off his feet.

It was impossible to get closer, because we would have to cross the open area and that would expose us to the second elephant, the "askari" or companion, which old elephants sometimes have, who was trumpeting and generally kicking up a rumpus. There was no question in our minds that he would have charged us on sight.

A couple of shots more, and the old guy ceased struggling. The askari departed, evidently realizing that the situation was beyond his power to intervene. We were left to survey the animal at leisure.

When the tusk had been extracted and weighed, it tipped the scales at 94 pounds. Had the nerve been slightly smaller, it could have gone over the magical 100 mark. However, I was far from disappointed. That one massive tusk now adorns the wall in my library. My only regret was that it was impossible to locate the other tusk.

View attachment 448778
Great story! Congratulations and thank you for sharing it!

View attachment 448778

Great story and bull. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Didn’t you hunt with Herman and Steenie after you got your bull?
Yes I did for a gemsbok. Great folks!

Reactions: WAB
Zimbabwe has the possibility of 100 pound elephant in the Gonarezhou area but lets be realistic, 50 to 65 would be a decent trophy in that area. I have personally seen 40 + elephant in the 60-80 category in and around Gonarezhou. I have seen 1 maybe 80-90 pounder and a photo of a 100-110 pounder.Those guys do venture out of the park but lets be real-you would have to be lucky. Save conservancy had a 100 lb monster shot on PAC about 3 years ago,just outside the conservancy borders. Hwange side would be down to around 40-55 pound and Zambezi Valley less. Currently Botswana seems to be better bet. Zim is my home and I root for the home team- it is possible to find a 70 Lb but I would bet on Botswana.

View attachment 448778
Hello Xausa,

read your African life story the other day in "Hunters Path".Very impressive.Seems you had a good life.Hope it continues like this
Salute
:D Cheers:
Best regards from Munich
Foxi

Last edited:
I feel there is an aspect this thread has not covered yet - what do you want-harvest big tusks or experience a real Ele hunt? I have shot one Ele in Botswana and some more in Zim. In Bots I hunted rather close to Maun- app. one hour's drive. The bushes there were uniformly appr. 2 Meters high- all of them. So the so-called hunting took place by driving around and looking for gray boulders that of course were Elefant. After a short glance through the binos it was decided to either " stalk" 300 meters max and look at the Ivory or to just drive on. I would call this armed shopping, but it has got nothing to do with a proper Ele hunt. So I pestered the pH for days to stop these boring shopping tours and just go after some promising tracks, which resulted in an exiting and successful hunt.
Now I do not know how the hunting methods are deeper in the Okavango. But what I know is that if you hunt with the right guy in Zim, be it at the Botwana Border - those Ele tend to have very short but thick tusks- or in the Ghonarhezou, you can combine the chance for big Ivory with a proper Ele hunt. And some of the best Ele hunting is found in the Sambesi valley, where the Terrain is difficult and demanding- for example in Dande. But of course the Ivory is rather small there, unless in the right time of the year some Mozambique bull decides that the cherries in the neighbour's garden taste better...

All depends on who you hunt with......

Totally agree with IvW. I’ve worn out a lot of boot leather in Botswana. Don’t color the entire country based on one experience.

Exactly lot of diesel stalkers in all countries....

@WAB: that's why I said "Now I do not know how the hunting methods are deeper in the Okavango.".....

Apparently there is a small reserve in Namibia with the nick name “century valley” due to all the 100 pounders that walk the Forrest! Heard this last week from a Namibian PH of high repute.

@WAB: that's why I said "Now I do not know how the hunting methods are deeper in the Okavango.".....
Yes, there is a lot of variability outside the Okavango as well. I've been within 20 yards of 5 bulls in NG43 and unable to make out anything the cover was so thick. The fellows I know in Bots hunt properly, which means you'd better be ready to cover some miles!

Thys De Vries, Botswana (he lives and operates out of Binga, Zimbabwe.

I am always happy when hunters feel such liquidity pressure.
They are good for the local economy.
This category will probably be around 80-100,000 USD in travel costs.
Unfortunately, this is not the case for me.
The Nae Nae concession in Namibia awards 5 trophy bulls a year.
Average weight so far 72 pounds.

A general question for the professionals and very experienced among us in ele hunting. Without taking into consideration the potential poundage of the tusks, from just observing an elephant bull, with what certainty could one select for only 50yo+ bulls?

A general question for the professionals and very experienced among us in ele hunting. Without taking into consideration the potential poundage of the tusks, from just observing an elephant bull, with what certainty could one select for only 50yo+ bulls?
I use three methods :
1. Check the spoor for lack of creases so basically a smooth worn out pad indicates an old bull that has walked his fingerprints off!
2. Check the ration of partially chewed food in the dung. Old bulls have lost their molars or they are worn down to the extent that they cannot properly chew the vegetative material.
At this stage they are beginning to starve to death.
3. if you sight the bull you will see the sunken in cheek and face of malnutrition. Possibly also pronounced vertebral line on the back from baggy skin. Some old chaps also tend to drip urine. You will see this on the tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!