Viper-Flex Shooting Sticks

I am a huge fan of the 4 Stable Sticks, I bought my first set from JJ Perodeau at DSC some years ago. now have three sets, currently using the carbon fiber model myself and have the others for family and friends.

Just like @Red Leg, I have shot a lot of game off of traditional sticks and they are fast. But after a few afternoons of practice with these, I am equally as quick. With the rear support, I am much more steady than with traditional sticks. This gives me the confidence and ability to take longer shots. On larger antelope I am comfortable to 300M plus, most recently I shot a Red Fronted Gazelle straight on at 180m. The target was about the size of a teacup. I would have never taken that shot off of traditional sticks.

I carry them everywhere now and use them as a walking stick while stalking. Money well spent in my opinion.

I am a huge fan of the 4 Stable Sticks, I bought my first set from JJ Perodeau at DSC some years ago. now have three sets, currently using the carbon fiber model myself and have the others for family and friends.

Just like @Red Leg, I have shot a lot of game off of traditional sticks and they are fast. But after a few afternoons of practice with these, I am equally as quick. With the rear support, I am much more steady than with traditional sticks. This gives me the confidence and ability to take longer shots. On larger antelope I am comfortable to 300M plus, most recently I shot a Red Fronted Gazelle straight on at 180m. The target was about the size of a teacup. I would have never taken that shot off of traditional sticks.

I carry them everywhere now and use them as a walking stick while stalking. Money well spent in my opinion.
I should offer an update from five years ago.

Not long after the original posting on this thread, I decided to purchase a set of the Blaser carbon fiber shooting sticks, and try a two-point rest. They worked as advertised, however, they were relatively heavy and bulky for travel. They were also quite expensive. I have only used them on the range.

At DSC two years ago, I purchased a set of the carbon 4StableSticks that JJ Perodeau carries. They are a revelation. They are regrettably also fairly expensive (though 25% less than the Blaser model), but extraordinarily lightweight and easily fit into a suitcase.

As @JES Adventures notes, the difference in stability has to be experienced. They are also very field friendly for both the PH and the hunter.

I hunted in England over Christmas. It was my first experience with 4 Stable Sticks, having never used them at a range. It was an awkward start that quickly became comfortable. I bought a pair and brought them back to the States. They went with me to Namibia this summer.
I’ve also been using them around the family property.

They are not as fast as tripod sticks, but most definitely better for farther shots. They are absolutely worth the purchase price.

I just used these on my recent trip to Namibia, and WOW, I wish all PHs would throw away their current sticks and switch to these.

They support both the front and rear of the rifle and this rear rest means there is NO side to side movement. Of course, this means that you have to manipulate the sticks around so that you have exactly the windage picture you want on the animal, but the steadiness is well worth this drawback.

https://www.viper-flex.com/products/
@postoak
We used the Viper quad sticks in Namibia. You could move the the forfend in the front rest to give lateral movement and by sliding the back aud the front closer you could gain a bit of height as well.
They are the closest you will get to a benchrest in the bush. If they weren't so expensive in Australia ($450+) I would have a set..
Bob

Jeez they look like a construction project - almost as complicated as they look to use. (n) I have never had an issue using the PH'S bipod or tripod. I think that is something I'm more than happy to leave off the packing list!
@Red Leg
Mate a 2 year old with a bit of Lego knowledge can put it together in less than a minute. I know I did it.
Bob

Maybe. However, I have found with just a bit of practice any reasonable rifleman can be very fast and very accurate to at least two-hundred meters with a bipod or tripod. In 90% of the hunting I have done, simpler is always better.

And though I am sure your PH will be unfailingly polite about dragging that thing around, with the exception of the smaller game ranches where a long stalk is 200 meters from the vehicle, darn few will be thrilled by it - or at least none of the gents with whom I have hunted.
@Red Leg
Both my PHs had them for client use and carried them at ALL times.
A quick flick of the wrist and they are set to go in 10 seconds. My PH adjusted them to my height prior to the hunt. When animal was found and in position 10 seconds to set up the Vipers, assume shooting position and bang. All goes well go and pick up said animal.
From set up to dead animal 10 seconds, so less than 30 seconds from start of set up to dead animal.
Bob

@Red Leg
Both my PHs had them for client use and carried them at ALL times.
A quick flick of the wrist and they are set to go in 10 seconds. My PH adjusted them to my height prior to the hunt. When animal was found and in position 10 seconds to set up the Vipers, assume shooting position and bang. All goes well go and pick up said animal.
From set up to dead animal 10 seconds, so less than 30 seconds from start of set up to dead animal.
Bob
See my latest post (Tuesday) above.

I should offer an update from five years ago.

Not long after the original posting on this thread, I decided to purchase a set of the Blaser carbon fiber shooting sticks, and try a two-point rest. They worked as advertised, however, they were relatively heavy and bulky for travel. They were also quite expensive. I have only used them on the range.

At DSC two years ago, I purchased a set of the carbon 4StableSticks that JJ Perodeau carries. They are a revelation. They are regrettably also fairly expensive (though 25% less than the Blaser model), but extraordinarily lightweight and easily fit into a suitcase.

As @JES Adventures notes, the difference in stability has to be experienced. They are also very field friendly for both the PH and the hunter.
@Red Leg
When buying Blaser start adding $$$$ because of the name.
Like buying a car just because it's a brand name DOESNT mean it's better .
Bob

@Red Leg
Bob
I'll agree with respect to their shooting sticks. Their rifles are worth every penny. :cool:

As I noted, I own both the Blaser set and the 4StableSticks. My opinion is informed with experience with both. :A Way To Go:

Last edited:
@Red Leg
Bob
Uh oh Bob, you just opened up King Tut's tomb and now the mummys are loose! LOL

Uh oh Bob, you just opened up King Tut's tomb and now the mummys are loose! LOL
@CoElkHunter
The Savage impulse is straight pull that can be easily converted to left hand. Doesn't need a special LH version like the Blaser. You can still change calibers. It just ain't got all the bells and whistles the Blaser has or the price tag. The Impulse is the working man's Blaser.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
The Savage impulse is straight pull that can be easily converted to left hand. Doesn't need a special LH version like the Blaser. You can still change calibers. It just ain't got all the bells and whistles the Blaser has or the price tag. The Impulse is the working man's Blaser.
Bob
Bells and whistles such as the ability to change calibers or takedown for international travel. Nor does it have the Blaser’s under magazine trigger design which creates a very compact full size rifle. Straight pull is five or six on my list of attributes.

But if straight pull is the primary reason, then the Savage would indeed be a good option. Like all Savage rifles, I suspect it will be accurate.

My Ph uses these, but only on planes game. He uses traditional sticks on dangerous game, as he believes they are faster. I practice off of traditional sticks, so these took a little getting used to, lateral movement was tougher for me. That said, they do create a much more steady shooting platform.

I hunted in England over Christmas. It was my first experience with 4 Stable Sticks, having never used them at a range. It was an awkward start that quickly became comfortable. I bought a pair and brought them back to the States. They went with me to Namibia this summer.
I’ve also been using them around the family property.

They are not as fast as tripod sticks, but most definitely better for farther shots. They are absolutely worth the purchase price.
They can actually be faster than tripod if you change the style you set up and shoot from them because only 2 points contact with ground. I see too many videos of setting the sticks up then trying to set rifle on both points at same time. If you focus on putting the back of the rifle in first the forearm will just fall into place as you finish setting up the sticks. Also if you use a sling, you can hold the front two sticks and sling instead of forearm of rifle. This lets you use your thumb for smaller left and right adjustments but also pivot if an animal runs. I’ve gotten really fast with them.

They can actually be faster than tripod if you change the style you set up and shoot from them because only 2 points contact with ground. I see too many videos of setting the sticks up then trying to set rifle on both points at same time. If you focus on putting the back of the rifle in first the forearm will just fall into place as you finish setting up the sticks. Also if you use a sling, you can hold the front two sticks and sling instead of forearm of rifle. This lets you use your thumb for smaller left and right adjustments but also pivot if an animal runs. I’ve gotten really fast with them.
Agreed. Great product/design. I think the first time I saw them I was watching “Farming the Wild” with Mike Robinson. They are very handy

Gunstix, I use these all the time. Like having a portable bench rest.

In use waiting....
1691387345665.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.59.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.59.38 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.59.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.59.40 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Viper flex are far more robust than 4 stable stix which personally I find flimsy and liable to break. We had to patch a set up last week where the top fitting cracked and separated from the pole. This happened on a hunt whilst trying to take a shot.

I used the Viper Flex sticks on my last safari, they belonged to my PH. This was the first time I had seem them, and had the choice of these or of using a traditional set. I opted to try the Viper Flex, as they seemed to work well during the sighting in process (borrowed rifle as well).
It took me quite some time to get used to them. However, I wounded a couple animals, as I was nowhere near proficient enough with them. I was angry with myself for not knowing when to quit, and return to what I was used to.
So, yes they work very well, with the caveat that you practice, practice, practice with them first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeroldBonn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.