Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey all, question to the varminters: I need a relatively high bc projectile that's going to disintegrate/explode on contact... Is there such a thing?

The FA in question is a 6mm and the use is for vermin and culling (head/neck shots only). Need to reduce ricochet as much as possible as well as pass through.

Have you looked into Barnes varmint grenade? I have some haven’t tried them yet. They claim they vapourise little critters. I think they used a compressed granular core so the bullet does break up more than a conventional bullet.
I also think that would class as a frangible bullet. Designed to break up if they were used in confined space close quarters by law enforcement agencies with specific requirements or locations.

I like Nosler BT Varmint for my .223. They make varying weights and they smash up small targets pretty well.

I've had good luck with Hornady V-Max, albeit in smaller calibers (17 HMR, 223)

Yes look at Barnes Varmint grenade in 6mm 62gn. Work very well.
Noslers are very good also.

Nosler 6mm 55 gr. Ballistic tip has been very accurate in my rifle and generally won't exit on a coyote, about the size of your jackal.

Nosler BT/Varmageddon or Berger Varmint are my favourite bullets for that sort of work. I was running my last .243 on 55gr Varmageddon hollow points but if you want high BC then more weight and a plastic tip would be an advantage. I'd look to the Noler BT 70gr or 80gr, they have a BC of .310 / .329. They will expand fast and hit hard.

Hey all, question to the varminters: I need a relatively high bc projectile that's going to disintegrate/explode on contact... Is there such a thing?

The FA in question is a 6mm and the use is for vermin and culling (head/neck shots only). Need to reduce ricochet as much as possible as well as pass through.
Depending on what calibre you have . . . I use 55grn varmageddons in the 6mm/204 & 70grn in the 6mm/250imp & 243. Found the varmint grenades drop off too quick & have far more wind drift. I've been a pro roo shooter for 35 years, so have used most everything in that time, & these are by far my favourite.

I will have to say that a Sierra blitzking will absolutely do what you are asking. I used a 55 grain in .223 and they are some of the most accurate bullets I have. Only rarely do I get a passthrough on groundhogs around here and that is likely just the jacket exiting on long shots where they have slowed down some. In any case, they drop like they were just struck by lightning. Good bullet!

Hornady 40 gr v max in a 223-22-250 and a 220 swift. 65 gr vmax in a 243.
Does fine work.

I will have to say that a Sierra blitzking will absolutely do what you are asking. I used a 55 grain in .223 and they are some of the most accurate bullets I have. Only rarely do I get a passthrough on groundhogs around here and that is likely just the jacket exiting on long shots where they have slowed down some. In any case, they drop like they were just struck by lightning. Good bullet!

I am +1 with ChrisG (as usual with many topics) on his fragile bullet recommendation.

When I lived in Soviet California, farmers used the Sierra Blitzking bullets, on ground squirrels in their walnut and almond orchards, due to their low incidence of ricochets.

Back then I was allowed to hunt pests on various farms and I used them in .222, .223 and .220 Swift.

The powerful Swift has to be loaded down just a tad or, the super soft Blitzkings would fly apart as they left the muzzle.

As ChrisG already mentioned, they are typically very split-hair accurate.

I have found that is so with virtually all Sierra projectiles.

V. Dog.

Personally I think you’re asking a lot for a jackal bullet to not exit, then also work for culling where the bullet needs to penetrate skin, muscle and then shatter a neck bone.
I believe you should use two different bullets. JMO & E
Best of luck and please keep us informed what you find works.

+ 1 with the Sierra Blitzkings in.20, .22 and .243 calibers, extremely accurate and plenty of killing power. In my .17 FBs, I use customs, Nagels and Kindlers. For high volume shooting, the Hornady in the Vmax style is cheaper and just as effective.

Maybe a long shot (pun only sort of intended), but one bullet I have used in the past that breaks apart fairly easily, is accurate and could possibly do double duty is the Sierra Gameking. I don't know what weights they make in a 6mm but when I have used it in a .270 on whitetail it was devastating and accurate. It was easy to see the bullet did not stay in one piece. Maybe a little too solid for the jackal work but may be worth a look.

I have used the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Match bullet in my .22-250 for over 40 years. I have likely used in excess of 20,0000 of these bullets on groundhog, prairie dog, Fox and coyote. It has proven exceptionally accurate with a very low chance of ricochet. It will not exit on a frontal shot on a coyote but it will exit on a broadside shot. I have not used it in 6 mm.

I have used the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Match bullet in my .22-250 for over 40 years. I have likely used in excess of 20,0000 of these bullets on groundhog, prairie dog, Fox and coyote. It has proven exceptionally accurate with a very low chance of ricochet. It will not exit on a frontal shot on a coyote but it will exit on a broadside shot. I have not used it in 6 mm.

I’m thinking about loading some of these for my 223 for foxes, do they damage the pelts much?

If they exit yes. There is not much mass to a fox. I would go with something even more explosive (Speer TNT) or much less so, perhaps even a solid. The problem with a solid on a fox is that the rascals can get down a hole or into a brush pile so quickly if they are not immediately anchored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois