Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey all, question to the varminters: I need a relatively high bc projectile that's going to disintegrate/explode on contact... Is there such a thing?

The FA in question is a 6mm and the use is for vermin and culling (head/neck shots only). Need to reduce ricochet as much as possible as well as pass through.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Have you looked into Barnes varmint grenade? I have some haven’t tried them yet. They claim they vapourise little critters. I think they used a compressed granular core so the bullet does break up more than a conventional bullet.
I also think that would class as a frangible bullet. Designed to break up if they were used in confined space close quarters by law enforcement agencies with specific requirements or locations.

I like Nosler BT Varmint for my .223. They make varying weights and they smash up small targets pretty well.

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
I've had good luck with Hornady V-Max, albeit in smaller calibers (17 HMR, 223)

bullseye-69

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
USA, IN,MT,SD,WY,IL,MO / UK, Scotland and England
Yes look at Barnes Varmint grenade in 6mm 62gn. Work very well.
Noslers are very good also.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Nosler 6mm 55 gr. Ballistic tip has been very accurate in my rifle and generally won't exit on a coyote, about the size of your jackal.

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Nosler BT/Varmageddon or Berger Varmint are my favourite bullets for that sort of work. I was running my last .243 on 55gr Varmageddon hollow points but if you want high BC then more weight and a plastic tip would be an advantage. I'd look to the Noler BT 70gr or 80gr, they have a BC of .310 / .329. They will expand fast and hit hard.

Brent James

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia
Hey all, question to the varminters: I need a relatively high bc projectile that's going to disintegrate/explode on contact... Is there such a thing?

The FA in question is a 6mm and the use is for vermin and culling (head/neck shots only). Need to reduce ricochet as much as possible as well as pass through.
Depending on what calibre you have . . . I use 55grn varmageddons in the 6mm/204 & 70grn in the 6mm/250imp & 243. Found the varmint grenades drop off too quick & have far more wind drift. I've been a pro roo shooter for 35 years, so have used most everything in that time, & these are by far my favourite.

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
I will have to say that a Sierra blitzking will absolutely do what you are asking. I used a 55 grain in .223 and they are some of the most accurate bullets I have. Only rarely do I get a passthrough on groundhogs around here and that is likely just the jacket exiting on long shots where they have slowed down some. In any case, they drop like they were just struck by lightning. Good bullet!

Luvthunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hornady 40 gr v max in a 223-22-250 and a 220 swift. 65 gr vmax in a 243.
Does fine work.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
I will have to say that a Sierra blitzking will absolutely do what you are asking. I used a 55 grain in .223 and they are some of the most accurate bullets I have. Only rarely do I get a passthrough on groundhogs around here and that is likely just the jacket exiting on long shots where they have slowed down some. In any case, they drop like they were just struck by lightning. Good bullet!

I am +1 with ChrisG (as usual with many topics) on his fragile bullet recommendation.

When I lived in Soviet California, farmers used the Sierra Blitzking bullets, on ground squirrels in their walnut and almond orchards, due to their low incidence of ricochets.

Back then I was allowed to hunt pests on various farms and I used them in .222, .223 and .220 Swift.

The powerful Swift has to be loaded down just a tad or, the super soft Blitzkings would fly apart as they left the muzzle.

As ChrisG already mentioned, they are typically very split-hair accurate.

I have found that is so with virtually all Sierra projectiles.

V. Dog.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Personally I think you’re asking a lot for a jackal bullet to not exit, then also work for culling where the bullet needs to penetrate skin, muscle and then shatter a neck bone.
I believe you should use two different bullets. JMO & E
Best of luck and please keep us informed what you find works.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
+ 1 with the Sierra Blitzkings in.20, .22 and .243 calibers, extremely accurate and plenty of killing power. In my .17 FBs, I use customs, Nagels and Kindlers. For high volume shooting, the Hornady in the Vmax style is cheaper and just as effective.

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Maybe a long shot (pun only sort of intended), but one bullet I have used in the past that breaks apart fairly easily, is accurate and could possibly do double duty is the Sierra Gameking. I don't know what weights they make in a 6mm but when I have used it in a .270 on whitetail it was devastating and accurate. It was easy to see the bullet did not stay in one piece. Maybe a little too solid for the jackal work but may be worth a look.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I have used the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Match bullet in my .22-250 for over 40 years. I have likely used in excess of 20,0000 of these bullets on groundhog, prairie dog, Fox and coyote. It has proven exceptionally accurate with a very low chance of ricochet. It will not exit on a frontal shot on a coyote but it will exit on a broadside shot. I have not used it in 6 mm.

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
I have used the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Match bullet in my .22-250 for over 40 years. I have likely used in excess of 20,0000 of these bullets on groundhog, prairie dog, Fox and coyote. It has proven exceptionally accurate with a very low chance of ricochet. It will not exit on a frontal shot on a coyote but it will exit on a broadside shot. I have not used it in 6 mm.

I’m thinking about loading some of these for my 223 for foxes, do they damage the pelts much?

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
If they exit yes. There is not much mass to a fox. I would go with something even more explosive (Speer TNT) or much less so, perhaps even a solid. The problem with a solid on a fox is that the rascals can get down a hole or into a brush pile so quickly if they are not immediately anchored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chau77Z759

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.