Using a Credit Card to book a hunt / incidentals while there?

MTemple

Reaction score
I have been looking at a safari to SA since I bid and won a safari at a local NRA dinner. Besides this hunt (which may happen in 2020) I am now looking into booking a solo trip for April 2018.

I have been told most outfitters will want a bank transfer and will not take a credit card, is this correct?

I want to use my credit card as it has excellent protections including flight cancellation, lost luggage, extra day cost, and most importantly health and emergency coverage including air ambulance evacuation. It also has an excellent foreign currency process with no fees. Using my cc allows me more peace of mind and a bunch of coverage I would have to otherwise pay for. I also HATE traveling with cash.

Flights will be paid for with the cc but booking the safari is the sticking point. If I were to decide on additional animals putting that fee on my cc would be a big plus, also.

Opinions and experiences welcome.

Thank you for your help!

There are plenty of operations in rsa and Namibia that will allow you to use your CC.
I have done so on multiple occasions

There are plenty of operations in rsa and Namibia that will allow you to use your CC.
I have done so on multiple occasions

It is just finding those operations.

I was able to use my cc at game4africa safaris

Motsomi takes c.c!

Pawprints takes CCs, PayPal, bank transfers and I suppose about any other method!

Good luck on your hunt, regardless who you hunt with!

Wintershoek suggests CC usage
If Limcroma does not accept CC I'd be shocked.

Welcome to AH! Many outfitters will take CC's nowadays.

Welcome to AH sir.
Pawprint Safaris will accept credit cards and even did so on my elephant hunt.
I think you just need to ask the outfitter in advance!

Thank you for all the replies! I guess this information given to me was mistaken, or at least not truly accurate.

Pretty amazing how active this forum is and the number of replies in such a short time.

Very excited about the idea of a solo hunt in 2018 before going with the family in 2020 (hopefully).

If that is how you want to pay, let your outfitter know. If they don't accept CC, there are plenty that do. I normally always use a card for the points/miles and the security of not carrying so much cash.
Cheers,
Cody

If that is how you want to pay, let your outfitter know. If they don't accept CC, there are plenty that do. I normally always use a card for the points/miles and the security of not carrying so much cash.
Cheers,
Cody
Always use your favorite airline card unless you just have no option!

If you use a Delta Amex card to S.A. even for an inexpensive PG hunt, and you fly coach, you can earn an easy 18000-20000 miles. Fly coach and shoot a buff, make that 25000 miles and up!

If you use a Delta Amex card to S.A. even for an inexpensive PG hunt, and you fly coach, you can earn an easy 18000-20000 miles. Fly coach and shoot a buff, make that 25000 miles and up!
And that is a round trip flight to Montana to hunt elk!

Make sure you understand your credit cards fees for foreign transactions. I've known more than one person that didn't, and wished they had.

Also make sure you understand the currency that will be used and how any conversions will be done.

I have been looking at a safari to SA since I bid and won a safari at a local NRA dinner. Besides this hunt (which may happen in 2020) I am now looking into booking a solo trip for April 2018.
I have been told most outfitters will want a bank transfer and will not take a credit card, is this correct?
Opinions and experiences welcome.
Thank you for your help!

Dear MTemple
Thank your for supporting the NRA by making this purchase and going to the African continent.
Enjoy the planning process of your April 2018 safari - enjoy hunting for the right outfitter and destination: the planning process forms a huge FUN part of the safari. Enjoy every moment.
We do accept Master / Visa cards. Alternative payment method is: SWIFT transfers which makes it safe to travel without (much) cash.
Enjoy the scouting process to determine your next hunting destination...

Some outfits will charge as n extra 2-3 percent for credit card use, this is what the banks charge them so they pass it on to the client. It can add up big time.

@MTemple,

As others here have accurately stated, it really depends on each individual outfitter and how they are set up to accommodate their guests. In this age of technology, it only makes sense to have several convenient payment options to offer prospective guest in terms of both safety & convenience. We offer our guests the options of credit cards, PayPal, wire transfer to either our RSA or USA bank account, and the option to write a personal check to our USA bank account as method of payment. Enjoy the planning process and send us a PM if we can offer any assistance in your preparation.

Some outfits will charge as n extra 2-3 percent for credit card use, this is what the banks charge them so they pass it on to the client. It can add up big time.
That's the way it works here at home. I use my Delta Amex on everything related to the hunt, including the ticket. Pawprint charges the same (to my knowledge) regardless of how you pay. The charges may be already figured into the price of the hunt, but I'm not going to know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross