USA: The Moose Of A Lifetime (73.75") SW Alaska

Oh come now - surly you jest...

Kidding! Congrats on a wonderful adventure. :)

I haven't always made good decisions in life, but one of the very best was deciding Alaska would be a better place to call home than Kansas, a couple of years after I finished college. Zero regrets - one of the best decisions I ever made.

VERY nice moose and the fishing looks like you guys might have had a good time
Congratz!!!
:A Yell:

@Scott CWO ... Thanks man. My buddy is still giggling about it; he currently has it in his classroom.

To me this looks like biggest moose in the world!
Congrats on this fantastic trophy and trip!

He has a matching set, kinda sorta. This was his first caribou, right after he became a resident. I "guided" him to it too. We spotted it, laid out a gameplan, and spent a lot of time belly crawling to get close enough. He shot this one, and I shot one just a bit smaller at the same time. I would note he's about 6'2" and 300 pounds, and the plaque is resting on his upper thigh. The back tines are over 20". Soooo... big bull caribou, and now a big bull moose.

I have been trying to talk him into Africa. Alas, to no avail thus far.

13419270_610971455740612_7095544782225528768_n.jpg

I think your mate is going to need a bigger house to hang both those heads in. Well done to both of you

Congrats on a great hunt. Not sure how I missed this earlier

Wow x 3....I would have no idea what to do with that!!!

Time for a room addition!

Time for a room addition!

He bought a house with a lot of room in MN. He also has a shoulder mount musk ox; he drew a tag several years ago. I continue to hope my musk ox ship will come in someday.

I also missed this earlier. Good job TT, more lifetime memories created again. Good Job, both exceptional animals.

I'm jealous, Alaska sounding better than BC each year.

MB

@MarkB ...

Well, I have an obvious bias. ;)

I'm thinking at some point I am going to have to venture to your side of the border. I am growing weary of feeling rejected over here, like a geeky 7th grade boy at a dance, seeking his first dance partner: I am starting to think I will never draw a musk ox tag here. A taxidermist friend of mine here says to forget the draw hunts here and go to Canada to hunt them. I might just have to do that.

I fully understand the feeling of rejected, weary and non loved. 34 years trying in our BC LEH for bison, island elk and nothing yet? Did get the 1 in 110 odds cali sheep tag so not all bad news.

Far North does have musk ox, none here in BC, outfitter tags only option for us both. Good luck, friends say hunt is hard in winter but easier in spring season.

MB

@MarkB ...

Well, I have an obvious bias. ;)

I'm thinking at some point I am going to have to venture to your side of the border. I am growing weary of feeling rejected over here, like a geeky 7th grade boy at a dance, seeking his first dance partner: I am starting to think I will never draw a musk ox tag here. A taxidermist friend of mine here says to forget the draw hunts here and go to Canada to hunt them. I might just have to do that.
You could also look at hunting them in Greenland. Of all the places, it's the cheapest except for Alaska as a Resident

@deewayne2003 ... My buddy was using his .338 WinMag on this hunt. He has had great success with it, and shoots it extremely well, despite his self-deprecating humor to the contrary.

It's funny... he never got into hunting until he moved to Alaska, and I think he'd tell you I played a big part in his indoctrination. What he hasn't done - yet - is warm up to the idea of owning more guns. In as far as I know, he is sitting on 3 centerfire rifles: his .338, a .270 Tikka, and a 6.5 wildcat (I can't remember the actual caliber) that he inherited from his former pastor. He is in love with my .338 Marlin, and for a time tried to find one. Failing that, he has suggested strongly on many occasions that he gets to inherit it from me. (he's a dozen years younger than me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdolphAbne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.