UGANDA: Sudan Roan With KOS Safaris

Day 4

I was awakened by bad allergies around 3:30 in the night, my nose running like a firehose. I took a Benadryl and tried to go back to sleep but tossed and turned. When the alarm went off at 5:30 I was groggy, so we got a late start.

We were in the field by 8 and almost immediately started seeing Hartebeast. As the sun rises higher all the game moved into the cool shade. I’ve lost count at how many Hartebeast we have glassed thus far.

Finally, about half past ten we spotted a bull that looked promising. We moved closer for a better look Gareth said, “let’s go for him”. I ranged him at 242 so told Gareth I’d like to close the distance some. I got off the truck and grabbed the Sauer 404 in 300 Win Mag with a Swarovski scope and chambered a round. There was not a lot of cover, just some whispy whistling thorn acacia trees so we bent over and did our best to approach the bull.

When Gareth felt the bull had seen enough, he set the sticks and said “190”. The bull was broadside, so I settled in behind the shoulder for a heart shot and gently squeezed the trigger. I lost sight of him as the 300 went off but heard the report of a hit. Gareth pointed and the Hartebeast was running to our left. I chambered a round and got back on the sticks and followed him. Suddenly, I saw him topple over in the scope and when we got to him, he was stone dead. A beautiful old bull with very massive bases.
Uganda 7.jpg

By the time we took photos and got him loaded, it was nearly lunchtime, so we went back to camp.
Still not feeling well, I ate and went back to my tent to rest. When I woke at 3:20 I wasn’t feeling well but got dressed and we hit the field by 4 in search of Oribi.

As with previous drives, we saw lots of game but Gareth being very particular to find an old Oribi we passed on several males.

Back at camp for sunset, I immediately hit the shower as I am still under the weather. I have lost my voice from the bronchitis so am struggling to talk. I told Gareth that we should hunt Dik Dik tomorrow and give me another day to get well before hill climbing again for Chanlers Mountain Reedbuck.

He agreed and said it will be an early morning as we have to drive to the other side of the concession, around the backside of Mount Kadam. Wake up will be 4:30 and on the road by 5.

After another great meal, I went straight to bed as I could tell I needed the rest.

Day 5

Once again, a rough night of tossing and coughing. I did not hear the alarm at 4:30 so Debra woke me. I made my way to the lounge for coffee and slowly came back to life. We left at 5 for the hour plus drive to the area where we will hunt Guenthers Dik Dik. Before sunrise we saw a pair on the side of the road near the hunting area. We carried on and as the sun was rising, we spotted another pair. Gareth stopped the land cruiser about a quarter mile down the road and we slowly walked back. By the time we reached the place where we saw the Dik Dik they had melted into the brush.

We carried on driving down the roads scanning the bush for Dik Dik. I quickly learned the male is smaller bodied than the female which helped speed up the process of identifying which one to shoot.

As we drive, we encountered several Dik Dik but impossible to get a shot as with two jumps they were deep in the bush. From time to time, we would come across mud huts and the area all around was grazed to the dirt by cattle and goats. Obviously, there were no Dik Dik around any of these small settlements, so we pushed on farther down the road.

Uganda 12.jpg

Finally, after another hour of driving we got into a virgin patch of bush and quickly started seeing pairs. We couldn’t go five minutes without a tap on the roof as a Dik Dik was spotted.

I stopped counting at 20 pairs and half as many blown attempts at getting a shot. The morning was slipping away and it’s well after nine now. I recall Gareth saying they are active up to about ten then they bed down when the sun is high.

A tap on the roof and I instantly saw the Dik Dik behind some dry grass in the shade of a large tree. As I stepped out and put up the sticks Gareth said, “shot that one, it is a nice male”.

I didn’t waste any time and made a quick shot and the Dik Dik was down. When we got to him, I was literally shocked at how small they are. A rare and beautiful trophy with this being the Large Snouted or Kenyan Guenthers Dik Dik, and this is the only place they can be hunted.
uganda 8.jpg

After photos we enjoyed our packed breakfast that Gerald prepared then made our way back to camp. The scenery was nice, rising along the mountains. The unfortunate thing was all the cattle herders. It’s really no telling how long this place can hold on with some many people and so much livestock. Grazing is the single biggest problem in East Africa today. Habitat is being lost at an alarming rate. I’ve seen it in Masailand and how it changed from 2007 to 2014. Hopefully someone in power will wake up and see the damage and start to protect these areas. Otherwise, once the habitat is destroyed the wildlife will move on or be poached.

Back in camp I ate lunch and went to bed, just hammered by these darn allergies.

My allergies have really got me down and since we had an early morning, I asked Gareth to let everyone rest and we’ll go out at 4:30. That’s what makes this place so special as you are camped in the reserve so within a 15-minute drive you are hunting!

Despite the coughing, sneezing and hacking, we had another amazing evening seeing lots of game.
It’s calving season for so many of the species and the survival rate seems to be very good.

We saw many Hartebeast calves amongst a large herd kicking and pitching, even to youngsters mock fighting as they butted head’s. There was a nice herd of about seven Rothschild Giraffe in the foreground and we stopped to view them.

On the way to camp, we saw a small herd of Roan along with more Eland. It is absolutely amazing the number of Eland we encounter daily. There must be a thousand or more in the valley.

Back for a shower and dinner then I hit the sack. The meds seem to be helping some but I still struggle to talk. We have decided to put off hill climbing again tomorrow so we will cruise the bases of the hills and glass for Chanlers.

Day 6

I had a rough night, not much rest as I would awake coughing. The alarm startled me at 5:30 and I badly needed a hot cup of coffee to soothe my throat. After ingesting half the cup, the Benadryl fog started to clear from my head and I prepared for the day.

We drove the along base of several hills in search of Chanlers Mountain Reedbuck. As we rounded a corner Debra said “look, there is a Hyena up in the rocks”. Not startled at all, the Hyena watched us from 150 yards for a few minutes before slinking away.
Uganda 10.jpg

Throughout the morning we came across Eland, Hartebeast, Topi and Roan. The Oribi pairs were in abundance, and we stopped to glass several but the males quickly faded into the high grass.

A group of Rothschild Giraffe were in the distance, so we made our way over to take some pictures. A youngster was spotted following his mom and they made for some great photos.
Uganda 13.jpg

Back to camp around noon for lunch and some rest during the heat of the day. We would go out at half past three searching for Oribi.

As I put my boots on a small shower fell but wasn’t even enough rain to knock down the dust. As we made our way across the plains, we spotted quite a few Oribi females, but it seems the males were in hiding.

Throughout the afternoon we encountered Hartebeast and Eland regularly but failed to find an old Oribi. We stopped to glass a very nice Roan bull in a herd of 29 animals. It was so rewarding to see many new calves on the ground. Tom and I discussed the size of this bull and I said “27 to 28”. Then Okelo asked Tom “how big do you think Mr. John’s Roan is, Tom said 28, I said 30. Then Okelo said I measured already, 30 1/2 and 31 1/4! I knew the bull was something special the moment I saw him but to have taken a 31” Roan is something I never imagined I would do.

During the magic hour as we were driving along Gareth stopped to look at a herd of Pattersons Eland. I raised my glasses and there was a massive old bull at the back of the herd walking slowly. Okelo said something to Gareth and he said “ask Mr. John Ed if want to take that big Eland to Texas”. You know what my answer was so off the back I went to fetch the sticks while Gareth grabbed the 375.

We watched them for a few minutes, they were about 350-400 yards. A large herd of more than 40 in total. Gareth and I discussed a plan while the Eland slowly fed away from us. I said “we’ll never catch them from behind as they are steadily walking and there is not enough cover”. I suggested we try to get in front of them and Gareth said “that’s the only plan we have”.

We walked a quarter of a mile or so then turned in and started walking towards the herd. Gareth would stop to glass for them and after about 15 minutes spotted them, then we moved very slow from bush to bush. At one point, a cow caught our movement and the herd stopped. Gareth scanned for the bull but did not locate him. Finally, after a few minutes he found the bull and set the sticks. I asked him the range and he said about 260. I told him I’d like them a little closer so let’s see what they do.

The wind began to change a bit and the Eland started moving and feeding again. I was on the sticks and had the scope maxed out at 6 power but held the crosshairs on a few cows and felt comfortable with the distance.

I still have not found the bull as there is a lot of whistling thorn acacia in front and there are only a few shooting lanes.

As the Eland began to move again, it seems they had caught a bit out our wind or something as the cows did a 180 and started walking back left. I told Gareth I can’t see the bull and asked if he was going left and he said “no, he’s going to the right towards the cows, wait and he will appear in the lane”.

I caught a glimpse of his tall, massive horns and once I identified him, I stayed on his shoulder as he moved slowly to the right. I asked the range and Gareth said “244”. I felt calm and confident, so I engaged the bolt and stayed on the bull until he presented a shot. Just as he moved out of the shooting lane, he did a 180 to follow the cows and that’s when I had a quartering away shot. I knew that this was the only shot I would have and when the bull stopped, I put the crosshairs well behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I heard the loud thump of a solid hit and as I recovered from the shot and reloaded Gareth said, “he’s down”. The bull was kicking so after the experience with the Roan, we were both on a run to close the distance. When we got to the bull, he was unable to get up but had not yet expired. I walked around and put a finisher in him to expedite the process.

I gazed upon this massive Eland Bull with his huge bases, deep ridged curls and long tips. I think this bull could make 40 inches. His deep dewlap and cape are dark grey with a full mop of brown hair on his forehead, a spectacular sight.

Gareth shook my hands again and said “this is the biggest Eland Bull I’ve ever seen taken in the concession”. I thanked him once again for a great stalk and getting me into position for a shot. We both agreed after the fact that we had less that a 50% chance of getting on this bull since there were so many cows looking for us. It was just one of those days that we were Blessed and everything worked in our favor.
Uganda 14.jpg

When the crew arrived with the cruiser, a lot of handshakes and comments about this old Eland. Once the photo session was complete, the crew went to work gutting they Eland and preparing it for loading. While Gareth and I toasted a couple of beers to the old bull, Tom said “look at this” inside the cavity a poachers metal arrowhead had been full encapsulated in gristle between the stomach and diaphragm. This old bull had fully recovered and survived a gut shot to go on and become the herd bull with a massive set of horns. Everyone was utterly amazed, and all commented they had never seen anything like this before.
Uganda 25.jpg

A second vehicle arrived with more men and the Eland halves were loaded. The sun has fully set and the crew on the back laughed and joked all the way to camp. Morale was high as we have had an amazing Safari these past five days. Everyone laughed and carried on all the way to camp.

Great report amd nice animals taken so far

Waidmannsheil @JES Adventures ! Those are some amazing trophies, but that roan definitely takes the cake! Very well done and I hope there is much more to come!

V.

Nice HB and Eland! What a story with the eland and the will to live and thrive after the spear braking off inside him!

Great report and amazing animals. Viewing the first photo in the report, the terminal building at Entebbe airport, I couldn't help but think of "The Raid on Entebbe." Glad to hear things are much nicer and better than in the old days of Idi Amin.

The Roan and eland are both special! thank you for sharing your experience and showing some beautiful country.

I hadn't heard of Ade Langley for probably ten years. Then low and behold I saw him at DSC this year and now your report. Sounds like he is doing well in Uganda.

You have taken some great animals. Congratulations!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Thanks for sharing another great story about another great hunt. Congratulations and best to you.

Wow, fantastic hunt. Thank you for taking us along!

That broadhead is an awesome souvenir! Tremendous old eland hard hunted and well deserved. Congratulations again!

I agree. That broadhead should be incorporated in the mount somehow.

Great animals that Roan is superb.
Thanks for sharing your adventure again with us.

Fantastic report!

Did you see any elephant, lion or buffalo in this area?
We did encounter Buffalo on several occasions and leopard twice. I asked about Lion and they said they are. It in the area. Then, low and behold we cut fresh Lion tracks on the road. Speculation was he walked in from Kenya some 40 k’s away.

Day 7

I woke just before the alarm and felt the best I have in two days. Seems that all the meds have kicked into gear and I have this sinus infection/bronchitis under control. I fetched coffee for Deb and I then prepared for the day.

We got out of camp well after sunrise and went to a small hill with a cave to glass for Mountain Reedbuck. It was interesting to see the ancient pictographs on the cave wall of what is obviously an illustration of a Roan and another of a Giraffe. We glassed for about a half hour spotting a few Klipspringer in the rocks but no Reedbuck.

We carried on driving towards the first hills we climbed on Day 2. Along the way we saw Warthog and Oribi regularly. We stopped to glass a lone Roan Bull and within a few hundred yards were Topi, Hartebeast and Eland. This is truly a game rich environment.

As the morning progressed, we eased along the base of the hills glassing for Reedbuck. Suddenly we jumped a pair of Oribi, and the male was exceptional. We pursued him for quite some time but finally lost him in the high grass.

After a breakfast break, we carried on and not long after Okelo spotted Oribi on the side of a small hill. Gareth got a look and said let’s get closer. I ranged them at 334 yards, so we moved slowly from tree to tree and cut the distance in half. When Gareth got a good look at him, he started to set the sticks and said, “he’s an old male you should take him”. I asked the distance and Gareth said “160”. I settled the Sauer 300 Win Mag just behind the shoulder and let it fly.

The shot was a little back, but the Sudan Oribi was down. As we got to him, Gareth commented on the mass of the little guys horns. A very old male, slightly broomed in his left horn. After everyone arrived and the photo session was over, we made our way back to camp for a relaxing lunch and siesta.

Uganda 15.jpg

We have 2.5 days left to find a Chanlers Reedbuck, then the Safari will be complete. Everything has gone so well to this point I am highly optimistic we will get the Chanlers.

Gerald prepared the tenderloin from my Eland, grilled to perfection with a rosemary sauce. That coupled with a South African Cabernet, steak fries and a green salad and we were in heaven! Some drinks by the fire and we enjoyed the gorgeous unspoiled African night sky.

Day 8

I was awake just before the alarm, this is the first morning I felt almost normal. Just a little lingering congestion but that cleared with a hot cup of coffee.

We left camp as the sun was rising and the animals were active. I saw some Zebra up ahead and Gareth stopped the car so we could look at them.

He said, “notice anything different about those Zebra?” I said no and he said, “look again, they have no manes”. That’s right, these are Karimojong Mane less Zebra and are only found here and in parts of Kenya. They have not yet been issued quota, but he believes the day will come that they will get tags.

We reached a large hill around seven where Gareth had spotted a group of Reedbuck on last season. We glassed, and slowly moved along the base looking carefully for the diminutive Chanlers Mountain Reedbuck.

Around 7:20 we stopped to glass and there was chatter in the back about spotting a Leopard. I was intent on finding a Chanlers so glassed the hillside and eventually spotted three Reedbuck near the top of the hill and alerted Gareth. At 448 yards we could see horns in our Bino’s so we knew this was a mature buck.

We made a plan to climb up and try to get into shooting position. The far side of the hill had a nice slope, not to steep so we started our ascent. Within thirty minutes we were on top and identified the large rock face and tree the Reedbuck were feeding under. Gareth moved very slowly so we could locate the group before they saw us. Then, at a split second he said “there” and the Reedbuck startled, jumped but didn’t run far. I believe they heard something and haven’t seen us.

Gareth set the sticks and I was up quickly but there was a bush obscuring my vision, so he told me to step out as he moved the sticks. When I did, they ran a bit to the edge and stopped once again. Gareth said “the male is at the back” so I identified him by his horns, but he was behind a tuft of dry grass obscuring most of his body. I followed his neck down to what I could make out as his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

I lost sight with the recoil but Gareth said, “he’s down, you dropped him”. Handshakes and thanks to the Lord and we made our way to the buck. He had slid down the hill about thirty yards, so Okelo and Tom went to retrieve him from the steep hillside. When I first saw him, I was elated, a very old male with broomed horns and no soft pulp at the bases.
Uganda 16.jpg

This completes my bag, an absolutely amazing week of hunting collecting all the species I desired plus the bonus of a massive Eland. Once photos were finished, Okelo put the Reedbuck on his shoulders and said “follow me”. Well, that was easier said than done with my knees and in no time he was out of sight.
Uganda 17.jpg

Back at the landcruiser, we relived the moment with Debra and made our way back to camp. Along the way we spotted a beautiful old Roan bull, many, many Hartebeast and a handful of Warthog. An interesting sight was the male Somali Ostrich which are in rut at the moment. Their necks are a bright red, unlike anything I have seen on the common Ostrich.

Once we dropped the Reedbuck at the skinning shed, we went to the dining lounge to enjoy our breakfast sandwiches that Gerald had packed for us.

I commented to Gareth it’s so nice to be finished early as I have had many hunts where we put in the hours until last light is the last day. I cannot say enough good things about Pian Upe. The game management has been excellent, and it shows by the quantity and quality of game.

Gerald prepared another outstanding lunch then we took a siesta until the midday heat started to subside. We left camp about 4:30 and drove around game viewing and enjoying an evening in the bush.

Gerald wowed us all again with dinner, he prepared braised Eland tail with potatoes and skumawiki which are collard greens. We finished off the night by the fire, laughing and reliving the great successes we have enjoyed this past week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you