UGANDA: Sudan Roan With KOS Safaris

Day 9

The decision was made last night to wake with the sunrise and leave camp at a leisurely time. I told Gareth I’d shoot a big Warthog if we came across one, so we poked around the flats between the hills where we had seen pigs before. In all, we spotted more than a dozen, mostly females with their young.

There is not a cloud in the sky today and it is quickly heating up. By 10 it was in the upper 80’s
with all of the game seeking shade. A small group of Nile Buffalo were spotted under a large shade tree as we made our way to camp. We had a late lunch then a siesta to escape the midday heat.

Today has been the hottest day so we didn’t leave camp until nearly five. One last drive this evening for game viewing and if we’re lucky a big Warthog.

As with every other day, we saw large numbers of game while enjoying this beautiful place. Around 6:30, we arrived a large flat topped rock that rose about 40 feet from the plain. Gerald had set up a sundowner for us with samosas, biltong, mixed nuts, beer and wine. We toasted to the amazing week we have had and laughed and joked.
Uganda 18.jpg

We were back in camp just before eight and hit the showers. Gerald prepared our final meal of pan fried Nile Perch and chips. This has been a truly amazing Safari, one which I will never forget.

Gareth Lecluse is an excellent PH. He is extremely knowledgeable about the game we pursued, their habits and how best to approach them. He was diligent in his selection process, only wanting to harvest mature males. He is the consummate host in camp and a pleasure to spend time with when not hunting. I look forward to sharing a camp with him at some point in the future.

Congrats on the entire hunt and thank you for sharing with us!

Day 10

We were up at six today to pack for our departure. We charter out of Tororo, a town just past Mbale at 10:30. Once packed, paperwork signed and tips dispersed we were on the road by 8.

Driving out of the reserve, instantly there are houses, people and villages all along the road. Mbale was congested with lots of motorbikes and people crossing the street without caution. It came back to me on this drive, my recollection of how carelessly people walk and drive in Uganda.

After a stop for fuel, we arrived at the airfield at 11:45 and within minutes we could hear the plane overhead.

The pilot went to the terminal to take care of his paperwork and then loaded the bags. Our final goodbye to Gareth and we boarded the Cessna 210. We were airborne by 11:30 for the 2 hour flight to the Pakuba Airport in Murchison Falls National Park. Gareth said the airport would be about a 15 minute drive to the lodge and he confirmed everything with them this morning.

As we descended for the landing, the massive Nile was always in sight. The lower we got, I started to make out Buffalo, Kob, Hartebeast and Elephant. Our driver Jimmy was waiting for us, and he quickly loaded the bags, and we were off to the Paraa Lodge.

A lot has changed since I was here last in April of 2018. The main road is now asphalt paved and there is a huge bridge across the Nile where I took the ferry last time. When we got to the lodge, it is a large hotel like building sitting high above the Nile. The porches have sweeping views of the river below and you can hear Hippos calling on occasion.

We checked in and the bellman assisted us to our room. Much to our surprise we were in luxury tent accommodations unlike I have ever seen. A huge tent build on a concrete platform with air conditioning! The big covered porch had a nice view of the Nile which will be our place for a nightcap.

After lunch, Jimmy came back and went over the schedule for tomorrow. We will leave the hotel at 6:40 to meet our guide Stanley for a day of fishing. He said we can fish all day if we wish, or simply tell Stanley we are finished, and he will take us back.

Day 11

Our departure this morning is 6:40 so we woke a little before six and had coffee then packed for the day. Jimmy was waiting for us and took us to the boat launch. Here we met Stanley our guide. He explained the program and we set out to catch bait. We used light spinning tackle with worms and floats to catch the Tilapia, the preferred bait.

It was a slow morning and we struggled to get bait but by ten we had enough to go and fish for the Nile Perch.
Uganda 20.jpg

Stanley has been a guide for nearly ten years here so has his favorite spots. He would rig the Tilapia with a hook through the lips then a short section of line with a treble hook put in just behind the dorsal fin. When we came to a location he had us put our lines out each side of the boat and let out 2-300’ of line.

The caterer had packed a nice box lunch which we enjoy midday. We tried several locations but no success.

Finally, late in the day the sound of the free spool clocking and a fish was on. I got to the chair, set the hook and started to fight the fish. It was the hardest pulling fish I had ever had on a line and I kept steady pressure but wasn't making and headway.

I reached to relax the drag and suddenly the fish ran so I grabbed the rod and held on. Then, “snap” and the line broke. When I reeled in the line, we could see the main hook still there, but the treble gone. So, the fish has the bait only by the tail and it was too much for the leader.

We called it a day a couple hours later, nearly six o’clock. Jimmy whisked us back to the hotel and we were beat after eleven hours on the lake. We showered, went to dinner and hit the sack by ten, exhausted.

Day 12

We didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. There is a Ugandan Wildlife Authority Staff Camp was not far and they had a party for graduating rangers and started playing loud music at 11 and didn’t stop until 6. Even with ear plugs I was awakened several times in the night. You can imagine with only canvas for walls I felt like I was at the party!

Anyhow, I made coffee for us and we got ready for the day. Jimmy took us to the launch where Stanley was packing the boat and we were off to catch bait.

Uganda 19.jpg

Another slow morning but with some help from another guide we had enough bait to go after the big guys.

Stanley went to a place about a mile from the falls and we dropped the two baits. Within 10 minutes the free spool started to sing, and I went to the back of the boat. I flipped off the free spool and the fish was taking line as the drag sang on. I pulled back to get a good hook set and the reel free spooled into a birds nest. The fish ran with the rod doubled over and the snapped the 60 pound test! A big Nile Perch no doubt.

While we were getting the reel taken care of the second bait took off. This time I was careful to check the reel before setting the hook. It was solid and the fight was on. A hard pulling fish I was anxious to see it but kept steady pressure on the line and slowly pumped the rod taking in line.

After about ten minutes the fish surfaced and we got our first look. “Catfish” Stanley said and he put on his gloves to grab the fish as I brought him round. Once in the boat we got a good look. A Sudanese Catfish about 6 kg. Deb took some pictures, and we released him back into the river.
Uganda 24.jpg

Stanley wanted to try another spot, so we moved downriver a ways. We dropped the baits and had a snack. Suddenly the reel started singing and I took the seat and Stanley told me to wait. It started to run again and he said “now” so I flipped off the free spool and set the hook. This time it took about ten minutes to land and when the fish broke the water Stanley yelled “perch, you have the perch.

Uganda 21.jpg

I brought him in and Stanley lip grabbed him. To say I was elated is an understatement. It has been a dream since boyhood to catch a Nile Perch. A nice fish of 8 kgs, but they catch much bigger. After pictures I gently put it back in the Nile and watched is swim away as Stanley cheered. What a Blessing to have this experience I am so great full.

We needed fresh bait so Stanley went to a place with a steep bank up a hillside and we used corn to fish for Waka. We managed to pick up a few as we moved along the bank floating with the current. Then, all of the sudden a commotion in the bush above and left of the boat and a massive Crocodile came flying down the bank and dove into the water. It was too fast to judge but over 13’ for sure.

We moved around the river through the day and managed to pick up two more big catfish before calling it a day at 5.
Uganda 22.jpg

Our final day on Safari, we savored the boat ride back with a couple of Nile beers. Stanley detoured to the bank where we photographed a 15’+ crocodile sleeping in the shade of an overhanging tree.
Back at the landing Jimmy met us for the short drive to the lodge. The shower felt refreshing and we hit the pool bar for a goodbye G&T.

Uganda is a special place and each time I have come I always say that I will be back. I told Deb it’ll be a couple of years but I will return for Sesse Island Sitatunga and fishing on the Nile again. I want to land one of those monster perch. Stanley told us of a 103 kg’s he has a client catch the week after Christmas! I don’t have to catch one that big but would sure like one around 50 kg’s.

Day 14

I was up about 5:40 and lay in bed thinking of the amazing experiences we have had these last weeks. We got packed up for our 9AM charter to Entebbe and the bellman came for our bags. As we gathered the last things, I stepped out to see a big female baboon sitting on the porch at the next tent. I yelled at her a couple of times but she ignored me. Deb had some curios she bought for gifts in a small paper bag and when she stepped out she saw the baboon and wanted a picture. She set down the bag on the table in front of us and raised her phone. Like a flash the baboon was on our porch, grabbed the bag and took off. I followed yelling at her, and she dropped the bag and one package fell out. She quickly gathered up the bag and was on the run. Mere seconds and she disappeared into the bush. Not a total loss but a lesson learned. These park baboons are clever and watch carefully for any opportunity to steal.

It took about twenty minutes to arrive at the Pakuba Airport in Murchison Falls National Park and our plane was there. Our same pilot from Sunday, Martine was there with his 210.

After we loaded bags, and he completed his preflight inspection we were airborne shortly after nine. Back in Entebbe we were welcomed by the Manager of the Protea Hotel and much to our surprise they had upgraded us to a suite for our final day in Uganda.

Off to the airport at 9 for our 11:50 departure on KLM. I have not flown with them in many years and I must say the staff was very courteous and professional throughout the flight. We got in to Amsterdam a little early so spent a few hours in the lounge before boarding our flight for Atlanta. Unfortunately, the flight was delayed an hour which caused us to miss our connection to Dallas but we were rebooked on the next flight and got to DFW in the early evening.

I want to thank Ade Langley and KOS Safaris for their generous donation to the Dallas Safari Club Foundation fundraiser. Without hesitation I highly recommend them as an outfitter in this amazing concession. Many thanks to Gareth Lecluse, Tom Holloway and the team of trackers, skinners and staff. To Gerald who was always "on his game" when preparing our meals. If you ever consider Uganda, you should contact Ade and hunt the Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve, you won't regret it!

Wonderful report. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on that amazing eland!

Thanks for taking us along

Congratulations on the great trip! Thank you for sharing!!! You had a great trip!! I always enjoy your reports!!

Great report and amazing trip. Thanks for sharing.
That Eland and the broadhead find is such a great story.

What a great report and some excellent trophies. The Roan was exceptional and the excellent Eland with the arrowhead is a great story.
Ade is a great guy and I’m glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with KOS.

Thanks for sharing a great report. That Hartebeast is something else.

Great Report and great animals pity that the fish didnt play along another reason to go back.

You are living the dream sir, congratulations on another wonderful safari, and some fine animals taken. Thank you for taking us along.

Very nice safari and very well whrithen as al your reports. Thanks for sharing
A real dream destination

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.