Turkey Hunting Season 2021

Short story. Have a close friend that is a military retiree as well but does not partake in hunting. His 10 year old son asked if it would be possible to just come sit with me and possibly see a turkey in the wild. After getting the nod from his ma/dad we lined up a day.
Well this evening was the day and I decided to take out the popup blind so he could move freely and feel a bit more comfortable.
On the ride out we had the discussion about how hunting isn't measured by success but rather enjoying your time outdoors and if an opportunity presents itself to just see your quarry that is a successful day to a true outdoorsman.
I choose to take him to the river bottoms as I knew he would have an opportunity to see and hear the group's of hens interacting with each other.
We were ready and in the blind by 3. By 330 he was absolutely floored to see 5 hens come within 10 feet of the blind. Successful trip in both our eyes!
Shortly there after a Cardinal landed on a branch and as we looked at his colors. The young hunter stated his ma always said Cardinals were good luck. Never heard of this but agreed perhaps it's true.
Not 2 minutes later, directly behind this dang Cardinal out walks a longbeard. I was in shock!
He pointed and asked if that bird was old enough to kill and I grinned and told him well done. It was indeed a good bird to take.
40 yard shot and it was OUR bird. One I know neither him nor I will forget.
A hunter is born everyday and today was no exception....
View attachment 399753
A fantastic story. What a nice thing you did for that young lad.

yesterday was a high wind day, 25-30 mph, i called up a shooter but he hung up at 60-65 yards and just turned and walked away. i saw two others on the move but could not catch up with them. monday its to be cloudy with a light rain, i think it will be a better day.

The wife and I did a short notice, 2-Day hunt in northern Nebraska... We haven't hunted Nebraska in a few years, but our return did not disappoint.. The sheer bird numbers in that state are amazing.

The birds were well broken up and the gobblers were fired up. All the birds we encountered responded aggressively to the decoy. It's a lot of fun when the birds read the script.

We went 3 for 3 on the first day and 2 for 2 on the second morning with 2 of the birds having strong Merriam's genetics.

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

Last edited:
@LeslieHetrick...could you imagine peeking thru a turkey tail in PA? Your life expectancy will be very short. Nothing against the users, it's just not something I would ever consider hunting PA game lands.

@LeslieHetrick...could you imagine peeking thru a turkey tail in PA? Your life expectancy will be very short. Nothing against the users, it's just not something I would ever consider hunting PA game lands.
Absolutely... This is NOT recommended for public land!

Agreed

Got out again this morning. No luck sadly. But just a beautiful day!

My wife with her third and final bird for the year. She is now addicted.... Wouldn't shut up for days about that last hunt. She brought up hunting other states... I built a monster.
received_464834067909763.jpeg

@firehuntfish

Congrats on some great looking birds! Cool videos! Thanks for sharing.

image.jpg

No time to hunt my own this season but I did put this one together for a friend-the bird came out of Arizona. I mounted it in the habitat of an old burn. I hate to do turkeys-only agreed to do his because he is a friend-and I need money to spend in Africa!

coyote kill found hunting turkey,s.

DSCN1256 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross