Trophies what to keep

Really like those gun cases,

I am sure once we get there my plans may change as far as shoulder/euro’s more looking for ideas such as the gun cases that make near conversation pieces.

Cost is not the issue on taxidermy it is more of a space issue.

Also if one gets a flat skin is it better to have it done over there vs dipped and shipped to the us for tanning?

Think and dream now, decide later.

Some animal may just speak to you for whatever reason, and some may not. I have a combination of euros, mounts, and rugs. I made different decisions after than I would have before.

Blesbuck was actually a challenging hunt and I ended up doing a shoulder mount. Ironically, I get as many comments about that goat as almost any taxidermy I have. People who don't know African animals think they are cool.

Blue Wildebeest I really wanted a shoulder mount, but the one I shot wasn't very big (pretty coat and had rug done) and so did euro. Same with my first warthog. He wasn't a monster and didn't justify a shoulder mount to me, so I did a euro. Then the next trip I popped another one that I will have shoulder mounted.

To save space, pedestal combos or even euro combos work. Lots of creative stuff can be done.

Have @Philip Glass post a picture of his “hybrid” gemsbuck mount. It’s better than a euro and takes up less space than a shoulder mount. It’s one of the coolest mounts I have seen.
Will do soon!

I’m a huge fan of pedestal mounts and even wall pedestals and one good use for back skins is finishing the back of the pedestal with them although plain leather works and is cheaper-but it isn’t Africa and it isn’t your trophy. One other thought is those back skins can be used to actually build the pedestal itself, strips of zebra go great with a wood pedestal for example.

A quick google search turned up dozens of great ideas but here is what I was talking about-saw some great examples involving springbok. We built one a couple years ago with an axis deer and it’s hide that was stunning

C304A4C1-D524-4EB7-84F0-6763B183D175.jpeg

I decided to have a bow case, pistol case and euro mount done from my Red Hartebeest instead of a wall or pedestal mount.

IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG

My two cents. I would dip and ship the capes home on all the animals, except the warthog (just the tusks home). When you get home decide which ones you want shoulder mounted and tan the rest capes in case you decide you want a shoulder later. I would leave the back skins in Africa, unless it was a zebra.

If you do want the back skins get them tanned in Africa, cheaper.

I think a lot will depend on your budget and space. That is really the bottom line. I will only say chose wisely, you may regret one day your decision. You can always make money but you never know if this is your only safari. The memories that you surround yourself with will last a lifetime. Enjoy.

Reactions: cls
Has anyone had hair off leather tanned either in states or in Africa from say a full warthog hide and/or back skins of any species.

Thinking new wallet, belt and maybe a pistol case or two

I say definitely mount the Gemsbok, they are beautiful mounts. I saved all of my back skins (approx. 30 skins) and dont regret it a bit. Not that much money to do it. My cape buffalo back skin was done with no hair. It turned out great. Had boots and credit card holders made. Having a gun case made for dear old dad with another piece of it. Tan the skins there, cheaper and quicker.

I like the shoulder mount of my black wildebeest. It appears like he is looking at you no matter where you are located at in the room with his evil eye.

full

When you say shoulder mount, be sure to think about the wall pedestal mounts--especially on the smaller animals like Impala. They mix up the look and are really cool. The one regret is I didn't do a full mount on the Kalahari Springbok.

As stated, set a budget, skin everything out for wall pedestal (more skin) and try to capture the moment of the hunt (specific turns, angles or stance).

Regardless, you will have a blast--good luck

Like nearly everyone else here said, skip the backskins unless you have a specific plan for them. I don't really regret doing it, (they weren't *that* much extra) but I have no idea what I'll end up doing with them, if I ever do anything at all. They just sit on top of the gunsafe.

A gemsbok shoulder mount is an impressive thing, and were it not for my waterbuck would be my favorite by far.
As mentioned, the blesbok is somewhat goofy looking anyway, and the mount is particularly goofy looking. (I've got a white and a common blesbok, and, while the taxidermy looks excellent (to me, anyway), they're just goofy animals.) My plan was to put them up in the basement somewhere, but then the kids saw the other animals in the house, and decided they wanted their own, too. I said if they could decide who got which blesbok, then they could have them in their rooms. So, my kids have blesboks in their rooms (seems reasonable to me... :whistle:). I didn't really have a plan for them, but I'm quite pleased I had the shoulder mounts of them as the kids really like them.
So... here's my suggestion, shoulder mount the gemsbok instead of the blesbok (do the euro mount for it), and save up a bit extra for the difference in cost doing it that way. If you're short on space, you can swap out the kudu and gemsbok as you see fit. If you've got the space, so much the better--I really like my gemsbok shoulder mount. (It's not my waterbuck, but that waterbuck was pretty special to me, and that's not the gemsbok's fault.)
As a counterpoint, gemsbok euro mounts look great, too.

New to the forum and hunting Africa as this year finds me preparing for my first safari. Among they myriad of questions I find my self trying to decide what to do with the trophies. Shoulder mounts on some is a given, euros on others.

What are some of the unique items that you all have done or seen with say back skins flat skins or other parts of the animal? It will probably be quite a few years before I can return so I want to make the most of the experience.

Planned hunt species are
Kudu -shoulder
Gemsbok -euro
Black wildebeest - euro
Impala- shoulder
Blesbok- shoulder
Warthog- Euro
I would trade the blesbuck for the Oryx.

Had a euro mount on a Gemsbok - wish I would have made it a shoulder mount.

I guess it's all about affordability in the end. But I decided to spend the extra money on getting the animals I collected displayed on pedestal mounts. I have no regrets in my decision as when I go into my living room I see them and they remind me of the great time I had in Namibia, not only the hunting but the people I encountered and the whole experience while we were there. I also think that it pays respect to the animals that they deserve. I kept the backskins and used the hair on ones as accent the pedestals. The hair removed and tanned ones are still around and I don't know what I will purpose them for. But I do like the idea of gun cases or scabbards. And the grandchildren have already told me which one they each want when the time comes.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Like that shield sir!

Thank you sir! (y) This was my first African animal taken, and a monster according to my PH. Extremely happy, to say.

Thank you sir! (y) This was my first African animal taken, and a monster according to my PH. Extremely happy, to say.
You should be very happy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg