AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
New to the forum and hunting Africa as this year finds me preparing for my first safari. Among they myriad of questions I find my self trying to decide what to do with the trophies. Shoulder mounts on some is a given, euros on others.

What are some of the unique items that you all have done or seen with say back skins flat skins or other parts of the animal? It will probably be quite a few years before I can return so I want to make the most of the experience.

Planned hunt species are
Kudu -shoulder
Gemsbok -euro
Black wildebeest - euro
Impala- shoulder
Blesbok- shoulder
Warthog- Euro

postoak

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Patron Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I would add Blue Wildebeest and zebra skin rugs if you take them. If you have the money, I would do the warthog in a shoulder mount. I don't think those awesome warts will show in a euro mount.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
New to the forum and hunting Africa as this year finds me preparing for my first safari. Among they myriad of questions I find my self trying to decide what to do with the trophies. Shoulder mounts on some is a given, euros on others.

What are some of the unique items that you all have done or seen with say back skins flat skins or other parts of the animal? It will probably be quite a few years before I can return so I want to make the most of the experience.

Planned hunt species are
Kudu -shoulder
Gemsbok -euro
Black wildebeest - euro
Impala- shoulder
Blesbok- shoulder
Warthog- Euro
I think keeping back skins is rarely a good idea. All of us wanted to keep everything from the first Safari then regretted it. Only bring back things you have a certain plan for.
Now the only back skin I have that’s really good is from my mountain zebra. It’s really cool and at the foot of my bed. I shoulder mounted the zebra.
Good questions for the forum!
Philip

Reactions: cls

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Mount the warthog instead of the blesbuck.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to AH sir. Your question brings up memories from my first safari. I had the same thoughts and as Philip says I did many buckskins and now regret spending the money on them.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Welcome to AH!

So hard to decide what to do with each trophy. Your mind could certainly change a million times between now and then.
Get the kudu or gemsbok backskin tanned for a couch throw. I would say forgo the blesbok shoulder mount and if all possible, shoulder mount the gemsbok, they are impressive!!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
If it's a nice warthog, get him mounted! Gemsbok make an impressive mount too!

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
+1 on the Gemsbok shoulder mount. Their facial colouring is really cool.

I really like the rugs and throws. All of the animals I saw had beautiful colouring. The Blues particularly cool. My suggestion is get the rugs trimmed with leather piping to finish them, and dont keep the head it. They are awesome and add to a room in a way all your guests can appreciate.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Great discussion. I would definitely Euro the Blesbok - they look a little goofy on the hoof and tend not to improve as a shoulder mount. An Oryx does make an unusual Euro; I have a couple. However, as a shoulder or pedestal mount that bull will be a showcase among your trophies for the rest of your life. I also would not shoulder mount a warthog. A really cool idea is to put the tusks on European style plaques designed for that purpose. The Europeans do this with the big boars they shoot in Europe and warthogs are far more impressive. The two prettiest (and most expensive to simply purchase) hide rugs are the zebra and blue wildebeest. The wildebeest skull makes a great Euro and the brindled rug is simply spectacular. They are also quintessential Africa. Unless you are set on a black, I would really suggest you consider a blue for the floor. The impala makes a very attractive Euro or shoulder mount. But get that Oryx stuffed! (y)

And obviously, not my best photography! And the plaques are actually hanging straight. By the way, behind the Oryx is our photo. Shutterfly https://www.shutterfly.com/?cid=SEMSN.BRAND does it all on line and will deliver a framed canvas print to your front door. Another cool thing for the wall.

Last edited:

AustinL

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Wow so much to consider. I would love to have an the onyx mounted and I may swap it and the blesbok. They and the kudu are just so big and I do have some space constraints

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
IMG_20171120_082957406.jpg

I squeezed it in beside my desk. You can create your mounts to fit particular spaces and complement your area. Have fun with that planning too.

Aaron N

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
1F433C48-6498-4BE5-8B80-13F62245E53A.jpeg
You can also get the warthog bronzed

I think you would regret later Norbert getting the gemsbok mounted. They are a beautiful animal!

Therack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA PF DU NWTF
Have @Philip Glass post a picture of his “hybrid” gemsbuck mount. It’s better than a euro and takes up less space than a shoulder mount. It’s one of the coolest mounts I have seen.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Due to lack of space and concerns about dust (I am allergic to it), I only do euro mounts, but I have kept the tails of both my Wildebeest.

As for warthogs, plaques are nice and take little space, I have about a dozen of those, but I did keep the skull on a very large one with matched tusks.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I would add Blue Wildebeest and zebra skin rugs if you take them. If you have the money, I would do the warthog in a shoulder mount. I don't think those awesome warts will show in a euro mount.

Blue wildebeest is a great animal and a tanned skin will be a great reminder.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I would definitely do a shoulder mount of the Gemsbok. Don't know if you can appreciate mine on the shield.

WALL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
I would wait and see what Africa gives you. Hunts are made up of memories and experiences, you may like your Impala more than your Gemsbok. Set a budget for your taxidermy and have everything skinned for a shoulder mount, after the hunt is over you can decide what to do with each trophy.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Now IMO, if they have great face markings, I’d shoulder mount it. Examples: gemsbok and Kudu if they’re nice.

I really like the contrast of skulls and black horns on euro mounts particularly the wildebeests. But I don’t like them when they bleach them, then paint the the horns black.

Special mounts would be nyala. They need to have all the front half mounted including the front legs. Wonderful color changes.

I also like the beautiful patterned cats opened into a wall rug with head so you can see all the wonderful markings at a glance!

AustinL, welcome to the forum! Look under the taxidermy forum and you can decide for yourself how you like them. Or google each animal and decide.
Best of luck in your decision, and if it doesn’t come out the way you want it, well you’ll just have to force yourself to go back!;)

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
Zebra backskins are great for diy furniture projects.
IMG_3959.JPG

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
Also another idea is to have gun cases made. They a great to show off at hunting camp
IMG_5966.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SiobhanSau

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?