Travel rifle

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
@Philip Glass i edited above to explain the issue that is created.

Can you empathize with the inspector since you're doing something you shouldn't and that it ought to backfire on you logically speaking?

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
This is a very interesting discussion on packing case with rifle only vs rifle and gear. I have never yet flown with a firearm and want to do it correctly when the time comes, and with the most convenience. My intention for this takedown rifle was to make the air portion of travel as painless as possible, with the rifle packed in a dedicated & very small case, then place it in a larger duffel along with my other gear for inconspicuous overland travel near the hunting destination. Is this not a reasonable strategy?

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
wow!

your wife is a babe, and i don't even know her!

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
None of the Airlines most of us use have the policy you mention. I do see what you are talking about, although it is vague and ambiguous, with Air France and KLM. No where do they state "gun only".
Im sorry I guess I don't emphathize with the inspectors the way you do. I certainly do not share your view that binos, rangefinders, and other small gift items are going to make some foreign inspectors head explode!
You've blown this whole thing out of proportion my friend.
Regards,
Philip

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
@Philip Glass i edited above to explain the issue that is created.

Can you empathize with the inspector since you're doing something you shouldn't and that it ought to backfire on you logically speaking?
As far as the airlines I fly on I am not "doing something I shouldn't". I resent your ignorant statement sir. I am in no way, by packing in my gun case with a few hunting and personal items, breaking any international law as you insinuate!
Regards,
Philip

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
As far as the airlines I fly on I am not "doing something I shouldn't". I resent your ignorant statement sir. I am in no way, by packing in my gun case with a few hunting and personal items, breaking any international law as you insinuate!
Regards,
Philip

Philip, it's not ignorant. Listen to reason. You are locking access to baggage that by convention may be searched at any time. Guns must be locked in this manner but nothing else may be. You're mixing commodities. I thought about doing this very thing, packing my rifle case full of biltong. Then logic hit me that I'm A.) begging for my rifle to be seized, and B.) trying to put food stuffs in a locked case so they can't open it and inspect at immigration.

Your example adds even more to the fire as you are adding "gifts" to your rifle case. Taxable gifts that are to be available for inspection to insure you don't go over your duty free $200 exemption.

Bottom line: There is a reason you have to lock your rifle differently than all other commodities and keep it separate. It's not just for safety reasons.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Philip, it's not ignorant. Listen to reason. You are locking access to baggage that by convention may be searched at any time. Guns must be locked in this manner but nothing else may be. You're mixing commodities. I thought about doing this very thing, packing my rifle case full of biltong. Then logic hit me that I'm A.) begging for my rifle to be seized, and B.) trying to put food stuffs in a locked case so they can't open it and inspect at immigration.

Your example adds even more to the fire as you are adding "gifts" to your rifle case. Taxable gifts that are to be available for inspection to insure you don't go over your duty free $200 exemption.

Bottom line: There is a reason you have to lock your rifle differently than all other commodities and keep it separate. It's not just for safety reasons.
Thanks for the safety lesson. I feel so much better!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
We traveled from the airport to our Bed & Breakfast (Afton House) and from there to our final destination in totally enclosed vehicles. Unless they had x-ray eyes nobody knew that we were carrying firearms. We placed all of our small valuables i.e. cameras, binos, range finders etc. in our carry on luggage that was never out of our sight..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamianJossy

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?