Travel rifle

@Philip Glass i edited above to explain the issue that is created.

Can you empathize with the inspector since you're doing something you shouldn't and that it ought to backfire on you logically speaking?

This is a very interesting discussion on packing case with rifle only vs rifle and gear. I have never yet flown with a firearm and want to do it correctly when the time comes, and with the most convenience. My intention for this takedown rifle was to make the air portion of travel as painless as possible, with the rifle packed in a dedicated & very small case, then place it in a larger duffel along with my other gear for inconspicuous overland travel near the hunting destination. Is this not a reasonable strategy?

wow!

your wife is a babe, and i don't even know her!

None of the Airlines most of us use have the policy you mention. I do see what you are talking about, although it is vague and ambiguous, with Air France and KLM. No where do they state "gun only".
Im sorry I guess I don't emphathize with the inspectors the way you do. I certainly do not share your view that binos, rangefinders, and other small gift items are going to make some foreign inspectors head explode!
You've blown this whole thing out of proportion my friend.
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass i edited above to explain the issue that is created.

Can you empathize with the inspector since you're doing something you shouldn't and that it ought to backfire on you logically speaking?
As far as the airlines I fly on I am not "doing something I shouldn't". I resent your ignorant statement sir. I am in no way, by packing in my gun case with a few hunting and personal items, breaking any international law as you insinuate!
Regards,
Philip

As far as the airlines I fly on I am not "doing something I shouldn't". I resent your ignorant statement sir. I am in no way, by packing in my gun case with a few hunting and personal items, breaking any international law as you insinuate!
Regards,
Philip

Philip, it's not ignorant. Listen to reason. You are locking access to baggage that by convention may be searched at any time. Guns must be locked in this manner but nothing else may be. You're mixing commodities. I thought about doing this very thing, packing my rifle case full of biltong. Then logic hit me that I'm A.) begging for my rifle to be seized, and B.) trying to put food stuffs in a locked case so they can't open it and inspect at immigration.

Your example adds even more to the fire as you are adding "gifts" to your rifle case. Taxable gifts that are to be available for inspection to insure you don't go over your duty free $200 exemption.

Bottom line: There is a reason you have to lock your rifle differently than all other commodities and keep it separate. It's not just for safety reasons.

Philip, it's not ignorant. Listen to reason. You are locking access to baggage that by convention may be searched at any time. Guns must be locked in this manner but nothing else may be. You're mixing commodities. I thought about doing this very thing, packing my rifle case full of biltong. Then logic hit me that I'm A.) begging for my rifle to be seized, and B.) trying to put food stuffs in a locked case so they can't open it and inspect at immigration.

Your example adds even more to the fire as you are adding "gifts" to your rifle case. Taxable gifts that are to be available for inspection to insure you don't go over your duty free $200 exemption.

Bottom line: There is a reason you have to lock your rifle differently than all other commodities and keep it separate. It's not just for safety reasons.
Thanks for the safety lesson. I feel so much better!

We traveled from the airport to our Bed & Breakfast (Afton House) and from there to our final destination in totally enclosed vehicles. Unless they had x-ray eyes nobody knew that we were carrying firearms. We placed all of our small valuables i.e. cameras, binos, range finders etc. in our carry on luggage that was never out of our sight..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg