Top British Gummakers

Randy Bo

AH veteran
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
238
Reaction score
439
Location
Southeastern Kentucky
While admiring the picture @WAB posted of his beautiful Rigby Highland Stalker a question came to mind. Have any of Britain's top gunmakers ever manufactured a bolt-action "action" of their own design?
 
Last edited:
Thank You...Completely forgot about AI...But, I was thinking more along the lines of Rigby, Holland&Holland, etc...
I've been racking my brains and... I don't think so? Back in the old days you had RSAF Enfield and BSA making Lee-Speeds and such rifles for sporting purposes but the action was invented by a Scot who emigrated to Canada at age 5 and then to the USA later in life, so it wasn't really a British action, I guess. Seems from my limited knowledge that most British-made British-designed rifles were single- or double-shot guns of varying types.
 
Cogswell and Harrison Certus. It was an entry grade bolt action rifle that shot rimmed NE cartridges otherwise requiring a double or falling block. I believe it was Cogswell and Harrison’s own design. I don’t understand it to be a commercial success in it’s day. It’s aesthetics may be an acquired taste.

If you take a careful look at one, you may gain insight as to why they mostly modified and improved the actions of large manufacturer.
 
I looked at the title and thought that the topic was going to be about surgerless, flavored, or bubblegum.
 
Here's an article about the Cogswell & Harrison. It's... interesting, for sure.

Article shows one that was up for sale at the time by our own rookhawk, too. Nice pictures, curious rifle. Like @318AE said, its aesthetics might be something of an acquired taste. I think I could get used to it if it was paired with a .303 Ross...
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.37.25 AM.png
    590.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.37.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.37.29 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 157
Here's an article about the Cogswell & Harrison. It's... interesting, for sure.

Article shows one that was up for sale at the time by our own rookhawk, too. Nice pictures, curious rifle. Like @318AE said, its aesthetics might be something of an acquired taste. I think I could get used to it if it was paired with a .303 Ross...
I was actually just reading the same article...Thanks for posting
 
I've been racking my brains and... I don't think so? Back in the old days you had RSAF Enfield and BSA making Lee-Speeds and such rifles for sporting purposes but the action was invented by a Scot who emigrated to Canada at age 5 and then to the USA later in life, so it wasn't really a British action, I guess. Seems from my limited knowledge that most British-made British-designed rifles were single- or double-shot guns of varying types.
The Certus was a Cogswell & Harrison design. Like all of them, mine was created as a junior grade officer's cheaper alternative to a double to take to Africa or the Raj at the turn of the century. This one is a 450/400 3 1/4. The '98 was a far better mousetrap.
Certus .450


This is a far more practical British creation. It is also a C&H. However, it is in .318 Westley Richards built shortly after the First World War on a P-14 action. Only the British could turn a P-14/17 into an elegant rifle.

WR 318 Cogswell & Harrison


And of course the .303 Lee Speed was used across the empire.
 
The Certus was a Cogswell & Harrison design. Like all of them, mine was created as a junior grade officer's cheaper alternative to a double to take to Africa or the Raj at the turn of the century. This one is a 450/400 3 1/4. The '98 was a far better mousetrap.
Certus .450


This is a far more practical British creation. It is also a C&H. However, it is in .318 Westley Richards built shortly after the First World War on a P-14 action. Only the British could turn a P-14/17 into an elegant rifle.

WR 318 Cogswell & Harrison


And of course the .303 Lee Speed was used across the empire.
Thanks for posting...Those are both beautiful rifles...You stated that the '98 was a better mousetrap; would this be based simply on the '98s superior design and functionality?
 
The Certus was a Cogswell & Harrison design. Like all of them, mine was created as a junior grade officer's cheaper alternative to a double to take to Africa or the Raj at the turn of the century. This one is a 450/400 3 1/4. The '98 was a far better mousetrap.
Certus .450


This is a far more practical British creation. It is also a C&H. However, it is in .318 Westley Richards built shortly after the First World War on a P-14 action. Only the British could turn a P-14/17 into an elegant rifle.

WR 318 Cogswell & Harrison


And of course the .303 Lee Speed was used across the empire.
Oh no... I was really hoping to avoid rekindling my desire for a P14 in .404 Jeffrey...

Okay I think I've shoved those thoughts into a cupboard and locked the door. But more practical with less need to get around the pesky patents (at least, that's my assumption for the Certus' awkward-looking bolt handle), the P14 certainly is. And while I have a particular fondness for German-styled rifles, there's definitely a particular elegance to the English style as well that the Certus just doesn't have.
 
Thanks for posting...Those are both beautiful rifles...You stated that the '98 was a better mousetrap; would this be based simply on the '98s superior design and functionality?
Absolutely. The Certus action is incredibly long. The safety should have been designed by someone with a last name of Kalashnikov. Even worse, the bolt has a separate locking lever that has to be mandibulated by the shooter's third hand when the action is cycled.

The P-14 318 WR however is absolute elegance.
 
Purdey's bolt action is entirely made inhouse and although it is Mauser based it has significant changes. I have seen and held one, it is well balanced and beautiful. I think WR, like Rigby, start with a Mauser action.
 
Purdey's bolt action is entirely made inhouse and although it is Mauser based it has significant changes. I have seen and held one, it is well balanced and beautiful. I think WR, like Rigby, start with a Mauser action.
Thanks, for the reply Kevin...I just visited Purdey's website and I think "beautiful" may be an understatement...I looked at the bolt action spec's but did not see any info pertaining specifically to the action...From the pictures the action certainly appears to be Mauser based...It would be interesting to know what changes have been made...
 
Charles Ross was Scottish who invented Ross rifle. And the rifle was mass produced in Canada.
Is this then, considered a British design, or Canadian, or Scottish?
 
I believe Westley Richards get their actions from these guys https://mayfairengineering.com/. I will double check my gunsmith who builds bolt actions for them from time to time.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.09 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.10 AM.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.38.12 AM.png
    379.7 KB · Views: 130
Ross rifle, although Scottish/ Canadian he did much others followed later on or inspired later. His case diameter and size looks quite similar to Rugers.

And they gave the Russians many rifles which the Soviets used as match rifles and got the serious affection for new generation precision rifles,they took a lot of that inspiration into their design for Match rifles later on that influenced others.

There was a UK maker also in recent years, ABT Rifles later Tactical. He passed a couple of years ago. He built eerything from Foxing rifles of his own design over to Match and Sniper rifles . It was a mix of Kongsberg M59,, a bit of AI Prototype looks bit L42 ,one model the woodstock inspired was much looking like a Walther WA 2000.
 
Purdey's bolt action is entirely made inhouse and although it is Mauser based it has significant changes. I have seen and held one, it is well balanced and beautiful. I think WR, like Rigby, start with a Mauser action.

Thanks, for the reply Kevin...I just visited Purdey's website and I think "beautiful" may be an understatement...I looked at the bolt action spec's but did not see any info pertaining specifically to the action...From the pictures the action certainly appears to be Mauser based...It would be interesting to know what changes have been made...

I believe Westley Richards get their actions from these guys https://mayfairengineering.com/. I will double check my gunsmith who builds bolt actions for them from time to time.
Purdey’s brochure says their actions are made in partnership with Mayfair Engineering as well.
 
I think the OP question was to original British design. Not for example Mauser action made by them.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,930
Members
169,650
Latest member
CyrilJudy
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top