To hunt Hippo or not?

my ph told me to not put the tusks in front of the fire place and rub them with olive oil.so far so good,as for the hippo ivory,same thing.had the elephant since 2011,hippo,2014.

Great story Ed. I'm hunting at night on land could get exciting. Just wish I could personally get passed my taxidermy issue. This is a very personal decision I realize. Adding fuel to the fire is the poor quality of the ivory. I was unaware the teeth split very quickly. The experience is what drew me to add hippo. Now I'm completely confused.
no confusion,just do it,hippo looks great here at home,im also having the cape done in a shoulder mount coming out of the reeds with mouth open,like hes coming back to the water in the morning.

Well if nothing else I'm more confused than when I started this thread. :confused:

Take this for what it is but as a guy who hasn't hunted Africa but hopes to one day, if I had the choice to shoot a handful or more plains game vs a Cape buffalo and Hippo I'd choose the hippo. Even if it was my only chance at hunting the dark continent I'd have a smile on my face and feel fulfilled in my choice

Jeez do I need to get over there haha. The US dollar doesn't help anymore though.

To hunt hippo or not?

I'm sure this will help.....I got excited watching it! Edge of my seat

It is a hard one! But if it was me i would do the Hippo with the Buff, That way this trip would be your dangerous game trip and you can always come back for a plains game trip.

my ph told me to not put the tusks in front of the fire place and rub them with olive oil.so far so good,as for the hippo ivory,same thing.had the elephant since 2011,hippo,2014.
I m curious Ed, how often do you rub with olive oil?. Once a year?

I m curious Ed, how often do you rub with olive oil?. Once a year?

Best AH question ever!:LOL: I think we would all like to know is that your secret to soft skin?;)

Best AH question ever!:LOL: I think we would all like to know is that your secret to soft skin?;)
LMAO. Guess I should have saw that coming!

LMAO. Guess I should have saw that coming!

John, if you know this guy as well as I do, his response should not surprise you one bit....and I have to spend 7 days with him in Namibia next year...:P Elmer Fudd:

Great video from Mark. Sullivan! Thanks for sharing ArmyGrunt!

John, if you know this guy as well as I do, his response should not surprise you one bit....and I have to spend 7 days with him in Namibia next year...:P Elmer Fudd:
Thanks. That explains it. I'm almost sorry I started this thread. What's a guy to do ?LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video from Mark. Sullivan! Thanks for sharing ArmyGrunt!
I'm having trouble finding videos of hippo hunts (for my own decision making process) where the animal isn't in the water. But I knew this one would for this thread when I saw it. I also haven't been too lucky finding anything hyena that isn't critter on critter. Anyone have some good ones to start a new thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross