Tipping Guide

I read the guidelines again in Jerome's excellent article before my latest safari in 2017 in Tanzania. Unfortunately, I found the amounts were not up to par with the latest tipping practices in Tanzania. I tipped more than planned to the trackers and camp staff. EVERYTHING in Tanzania is more expensive.

I also always tip the PH even if he is also the owner. I always tip the PH. I do not tip the owner/operator if he is not my PH. The same for US hunts applies.

This isn't exactly tipping, but during the hunt I included the staff in what was a happening. Examples: I dreamed of a buffalo since I was 15 and when I killed it, I included the entire hunting party in a few photos. The skinner was a skinny little guy and I picked him up over my head and shook him while yelling "we got a buffalo!!!!. He and the rest of the group loved it.
Or at camp, going into the kitchen to shake the chef's hand. Gave thumbs up to the groundskeeper who made the nightly fire.
At the end of the hunt the PH told me how much the staff appreciated the recognition. So I know they told the PH as sometimes he wasn't around. They also received very nice gratuities.

I wish this tipping guide post could be edited and most of it deleted. I was using the guide at the beginning of this and then saw several current tipping guides from friends. They were higher much higher. On a plains game hunt you are going to be spending $750 to $1000 in tips, if all goes well, hunting in SA. For me spending time with the locals and the local staff makes the trip. meigsbucks is right on the money.

So I read the initial post here, would this guide still be considered a accurate rule of thumb for PG in South Africa. We are headed over in September and I have no problem with tipping for good to exceptional service. I just want to make sure I am prepared.

I would assume that the % for the PH is still fair but how about the tips for camp staff

In my experience, (only one safari so far), the tipping should be accounted as certain and generally unquoted cost,
Exact amount can not be generally qouted. In my view there is no general rule.

For me fail safe rule is: ask directly what to expect. Ask directly: outfitter, agent, PH, and if you check referenecs, ask other hunters who hunted there what to expect.

I read the guidelines again in Jerome's excellent article before my latest safari in 2017 in Tanzania. Unfortunately, I found the amounts were not up to par with the latest tipping practices in Tanzania. I tipped more than planned to the trackers and camp staff. EVERYTHING in Tanzania is more expensive.

I also always tip the PH even if he is also the owner. I always tip the PH. I do not tip the owner/operator if he is not my PH. The same for US hunts applies.

I asked the PH what to budget for tips for my upcoming buffalo hunt in Tanzania and these are the suggestions he provided.

For a 10 day Buffalo hunt:

Head tracker - $200.00
Assistant tracker - $150.00
Driver - $200.00
Game scout - $300.00 - $400.00
Camp Staff - $850.00, The camp staff tip is usually split between 7-12 people.
PH - $850.00 +

He also said that he prefers for the hunter to tip each staff member personally and ask me to bring envelopes for the tips.

I just returned from Namibia. The guidelines presented at the outset are close. The amount for the PH seems spot on. As far as staff... A little low. I think about $9-$10 per day is about right for housekeepers, gardners, etc is about right. Skinners, maybe $12 per day and trackers about $15 per day. Obviously this is merit based. If a tracker has to track a wounded animal, maybe a little more.
Seniority plays a part as well. The PH explained that although there were two housekeepers, one had been there about 12 years and the other about seven. The one that was there longer should get a little more.

Tipping just seems so complicated, i enjoy it not being part of our culture.
Thanks good, it is not part of our culture also.
I personaly "hate" it and I never take a tipp (in cash) for myself. Even as an "poor student" as say no, I work for only for my income.
I came from an good restaurant now, I eat with my girlfried, it costs 25,50 Euro, I give 26 and finished. This is for an coffee.
The most people here dont realy tipp and this is great.
Everybody should work for an real and fair montly income, not for an "present".

A lot of good tips on tipping. For my first safari, a 14 day buffalo and plains game hunt in Zimbabwe (2013), I attended a tipping seminar at the SCI Convention.
Sorry sir (dont take it personal), this is "crazy", ... an tipping seminar...
I see this two years ago in Las Vegas, it takes 2,5 houres... (and you can get an certificate...)
Here in my land we can laugh the complete evening about this. :)

His suggestions were: trackers $2000 for the PH, $500 each, skinner $450, assistant skinner $300, game scout $250, housekeeper $300, groundskeeper $300, cooks $350 each and the waiter $350.
This is not an tipping, this is an income of the local dr. or lawer.
500 US Dollar tipp for an skinner...
What did you think did they get from the PH / outfitter? (Maybe 100 dollar in the month).

I just returned from Namibia. The guidelines presented at the outset are close. The amount for the PH seems spot on. As far as staff... A little low. I think about $9-$10 per day is about right for housekeepers, gardners, etc is about right. Skinners, maybe $12 per day and trackers about $15 per day.
I think this is fair and correct.
I did this so every year and I write it so in my articles.

My tipp:
Gentleman, Im not an "cheap charly" and of course I see these people in Africa are poor and need money, okay.
But I you pay "500 Dollar", you wont help them. You wont build them or the land up, you bring future trouble. For sure.
You pay for an safari, in this is the work included, of each worker.
The PH / outfitter has to pay them correctly and not say to them: "The client will give a good tipp." No.
If you feel comftabel, give them an tipp, of course, but in an good balance, like the example of Namibia.
Show them respekt, speak with them, use their names, pp. (you know all this) maybe invite them for an drink or dinner at the last evening and then give them personal and each an tipp as above. In my option dont make an hirachie, make it equal (human is human, and they all work hard, but sometimes you dont see it).

I asked the PH what to budget for tips for my upcoming buffalo hunt in Tanzania and these are the suggestions he provided.

For a 10 day Buffalo hunt:

Head tracker - $200.00
Assistant tracker - $150.00
Driver - $200.00
Game scout - $300.00 - $400.00
Camp Staff - $850.00, The camp staff tip is usually split between 7-12 people.
PH - $850.00 +

He also said that he prefers for the hunter to tip each staff member personally and ask me to bring envelopes for the tips.
Seriously? I have never seen a suggested total anywhere near that - much less paid that amount. The PH's tip recommendation is about right (I usually plan $100 a day), but that is almost $2K just for staff. That is, in my opinion, an insane amount of money for a "tip" on a ten-day hunt.

That's about 3 grand for tips on a ten day hunt! That's no longer tipping that is extortion !!!

That seems a bit high. After two RSA safaris, I typically tipped the PH between 6-700, 100 to the tracker/skinner, 50 for kitchen staff, and rest to the hostess. I brought 1000 for tips and that's what I paid out (8 day hunt, average 1 animal per day).

Those figures looks more in line for the local currency and not in US Dollars with the South African Rand they could be a little low but pretty close.

I returned from my first trip in June. I had read all the posts in this thread. Before my hunt was over I asked my PH how to handle tips. He said to give directly to those ai wanted to tip. I had taken thank you cards for this. I also asked him around the fire one night what was appropriate to tip.
I tipped skinner $10 per animal except for Eland which was $20
He had an assistant skinner which was half of what skinner got.
Since I was only one in camp for 7 days.
Cook $15-20 per day( food was fabulous)
Housekeeper/laundry same person. $10 per day.
No tracker or driver. Was just me and PH all the time hunting
Ph? Thats between me and him. But was in line with what guide on here is
Plains game only hunt

Last year in RSA this is what I did for both my wife and myself. Both hunters.

$1700-ph
$300-tracker
$180-skinner
$260-camo staff - 2 people
$250-camp manger

This was a little more than I planned, but it was for two and a few did some extra stuff for me. I’d rather tip a little extra and feel good about it than the other way around.

If it had just been me, I’d have gone less obviously.

My question is what was your total safari cost? I am not interested in paying more than 10% for gratuities. I really like the outfitters that let you pay them and then they pay staff but some guys won’t touch the $ and want it directly handed to the staff.
Regardless of anyone’s guidelines 10% plus a little if need be that’s the bottom line.
Philip

My question is what was your total safari cost? I am not interested in paying more than 10% for gratuities. I really like the outfitters that let you pay them and then they pay staff but some guys won’t touch the $ and want it directly handed to the staff.
Regardless of anyone’s guidelines 10% plus a little if need be that’s the bottom line.
Philip

I agree with the 10% guideline, plus or minus a little dependent on service. I read through the entire thread prior to my 2016 safari. I ended up tipping in the 10% overall range and when I returned to the same outfitter the following year, did the same. I received nothing but outstanding service. I just reread the thread, picking up where I left off. There still seems to be little consensus, with some tipping exorbitant amounts (My opinion only) and some little to nothing. I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

Seriously? I have never seen a suggested total anywhere near that - much less paid that amount. The PH's tip recommendation is about right (I usually plan $100 a day), but that is almost $2K just for staff. That is, in my opinion, an insane amount of money for a "tip" on a ten-day hunt.
Completely insane ....

Last edited by a moderator:

That's about 3 grand for tips on a ten day hunt! That's no longer tipping that is extortion !!!

Completely insane ....

Philip

The suggested amount is actually just slightly more than 10% of the total hunt cost excluding air fare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you