Tikka for hunting? Thoughts in general

@blacks what do you think of the B&C stock? Any discernible difference in recoil or weight? Does it fit well do the aluminium bedding block recoil lugs ever show sign of imprint from repeated firing?
Oh and where did you get that big hairy pig? NZ?
I started a thread on 7mm, I’d like a .300wm but open to suggestion amd learning everyday.

I like the B&C stocks, I have another on my Mk. X .458 WM. No problem with the bedding assembly, but then I don't take it down for inspections either. It hasn't moved in the last 3 fly-in hunts it's done (Qld, NZ, RSA.) They are a little heavier than the original plastic, but much more rigid, feel better to me, quieter, much better pad. Probably recoil is a touch less as a result but I'm not overly sensitive.

That is an African Bushpig mate, a thumper taken with KMG Safaris this past August.

Cheers
Tim

Like I said Tikka is too light for me starting with .270 Winchester. Since a 6.5x55 has less recoil than a .270 what is the point you are trying to make?
Do not know his point but I will say that the recoil of the t3x in .270 is so bad that it makes you want to leave it at home. With a limbsaver pad installed however, the recoil is really minimized. After we put a pad on my son's tikka, it is a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
I have a CZ 550 American 6.5x55 and a 700 ADL .270. I don’t think I’d mind shooting a Tikka in 6.5x55 but I know I would with a .270.

Tikka has same barrel as Sako. Always believed one buys barrels and that the barrels determine the accuracy. I own Sako 85 and Tikka T3. Tikka plastic stock is not fancy, but it is rigid. Used Tikka T3, 300 WSM in Namibia in June. The stock and barrel had been shortened to make it into pseudo-Scout / mountain rifle. Everything dropped to shot out to about 400 yards. All that said, just buy Blaser R8. I just got one w .308 and .375 H&H barrels. The rifle is incredibly accurate. You can switch barrels and optics and retain deadly zero. Simply incredible rifle.

I bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag after handing my buddy’s in .243 and love it. It’s a dream to handle, although it may have a sharper recoil than my old 7mm. Nothing to complain about though. Shoots beautifully. Bolt and trigger are flawless, the plastic magazine has never had a hiccup and I even like the look of it with the black plastic stock! Here are the critters I’ve taken with it so far...
B3E78AD5-2FCA-418F-A75A-ACC8611B8FBF.jpeg

D7E1AA6E-CA51-4ABB-AD31-05DE674C8493.jpeg

CEEE8C3C-54DD-436A-93C2-000901B56214.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I complained about the plastic I was not referring to the stock. I do not like composite stocks either but they do serve a good purpose. It is the plastic magazine, trigger guard assembly, bolt stop, and bolt shroud that bother me. That said, none of those components have caused any problems.
cohutta2.jpg

Just reiterating your point, and stating the obvious, I suppose. ;)

I bedded my T3X Hunter today. It would typically put two almost in the same hole (cold barrel), and then move to the right enough to matter.

What do people think of the current generation Tikka? T3/T3x.
Setting aside the CRF/Push feed debates etc, what do people think of Tikka for general hunting across the world?
I own a Rem 700 .223 Varmint, a CZ550 a Howa and I had a Parker Hale and Zastava in .308 as hunting rifles although I don’t hunt as often as I’d like.
My first Tikka was/is a brand new T3 stainless laminate in about 2012 i was doing a bit of shooting and bought something I had wanted for a bit.
I bought it online sent to my club armourer. I hadn’t really seen them close or handled them. I was disappointed when I found it was half plastic. Now I tinker with my firearms and have done some bedding etc trying to learn and enjoy my rifles, I found the recoil lug was back to front. I didn’t like that one bit! So it’s reverse to what I’ve seen on many other rifles as the lug sits in the stock and the action has a recess that locks on over the lug.
Well I stewed on it and wasn then happy about the plastic either, I looked at upgrades and thought some more. Then I realised that I a man smart enough to realise the Tikka designers and engineers are smarter than me. OK so the backwards recoiled lug works. I purchased a titanium lug and bedded the action in the stock. (Apparently the Aluminium can be impacted by repeated recoil.) T3x factory upgrades include a stell recoil lug.
The plastic, I later decided it must be a suitable quality and reduces weight.
I later bought a CTR version and it suits me, I like it. I bough this a .243 with a shot out Barrel my gunsmith set me up with a .22-250HB and varmint stock and it shoots well. I am thinking I might want one in .300wm or maybe 7mmRM after Africa?
I started a thread on 7mm rounds and people have me thinking about the 7x64, offered by Tikka but I’m not sure if it’s readily available in Australia.
What are your thoughts?
CBH
You might want to check if the weight of the Tikka if you get the 300 mate, may be a bit light but nothing a better recoil pad won't help. I've only shot one and it had a muzzle brake. Noisy as he'll but gentle to shoot. Would have been better if the stock fit my 6 and a half foot 115 kilo frame but hey it was a nice rifle

I've had 3 Tikka's in .223, .308W and .300WM. They were all supremely accurate and perfectly functional and reliable. The .300WM was a kicker in the light package. They aren't much to look at, but I didn't pay more than $550 for any of those rifles. Easily the best rifle for the money I can think of.
PHEONIX PHIL
Where did you get those Tikkas at that price. In OZ we consider it good value for money at double the price you get them for. If I could get a Tikka in 300 win mag for $550 I would be on to it quicker than a seagull on a hot chip.
Cheers mate
Bob.

PHEONIX PHIL
Where did you get those Tikkas at that price. In OZ we consider it good value for money at double the price you get them for. If I could get a Tikka in 300 win mag for $550 I would be on to it quicker than a seagull on a hot chip.
Cheers mate
Bob.

In the US. Haven’t bought one in awhile so they may be a bit more, but not that much more.

Dr Ray
I bet she latches onto those buffalo real well. What's she like on pigs mate. I think she might be a couch pooch with big ambition. Ha ha.
Cheers mate
Bob

I’d bet I can still better than this but still not bad:

B2973A53-D37D-414D-9E17-D472E846A656.png

In fact I’m sure:

FA46E97F-364E-406E-A3E0-EF4015A27DD9.png

My stainless 7MM mag T3 light with factory black stock has been my go to for 15 years. I’ve taken Elk, deer, black bear and numerous African plains game. I just put a new trigger spring (Carbo?) and it breaks around 2 lbs. i keep saying I’ll buy a second plastic clip, but original one works fine. Never had an issue. Shoot just about all ammo i put thru it well.
These "plastic" mags are polymer and nearly unbreakable...Single stack is very easy to load..

Thanks all,
I have just completed my South African hunt using the outfitter 7mmRM . It has a suppressor so I can’t guage the recoil but I liked it.
I can appreciate the difference in the Sako 85 and Tikka T3 and T3x, steel parts. But Tikka still perform.
For me now that I have a few I can swap configurations as the cation is same on all.
I can get good secondhand Tikka under $1000 if I look I am patient but I looked at a Sako A7 at a good price with a scope, different beast and all plastic but it seems it’s selling because it kicks.
Any comments on Sako A7 ? Anyone?

Bell and Carlson are my favorite stocks for the money. Only problem is they don't offer a left hand option for the Tikka. So, I order the right hand and file a recess for the bolt handle on the left side. I then file a small notch on the left side to give clearance for the left-hand safety lever. It actually works rather well, although the right side has an abandoned bolt notch.

View attachment 318507 View attachment 318508
Smitty
That's what I call smart thinking 99.

PHEONIX PHIL
Cheers mate
Bob.
There was a big sale last year and you could get the Tikka T3x with composite stock for around $480. This was for standard length and non magnum cartridges only. I picked up my son's 270 from a guy who bought it for a pronghorn hunt and then decided he needed a magnum. It was unfired and still had the stickers on it and I paid him $400. I am sure it is far superior to the other rifles sold at that price point.

In the US. Haven’t bought one in awhile so they may be a bit more, but not that much more.
People who are into target shooting have noticed that a T3 or T3x is a great platform for customization. And stocks, chassises, aftermarket barrels, small parts, refinishes, etc. are now very much available. That might drive the prices of even second hand ones up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross