Thoughts on type of camps

We did that exact same trick other times when we walked and had trackers with us, all because we asked for more southern fried chicken. We also got one when driving the blacktop at 80 KM. Big flock on road ahead, PH drove right into them, my poor sister sitting beside me on the back safari seat took one to the chest, like a pitcher she grabbed it and handed to tracker who twisted its neck. I think staff eat that one later.

Ooh the fun had on safari.

For those that will not eat this or that I truly feel sorry for you. Never eaten a food I did not like, and that includes many things that would probably worry you.

MB
The world is a fascinating place with remarkably different points of view. No offense Mark, but based on your comment, I guess I shall have to feel sorry for you? I have tried a lot of things in a lot of different corners of the world. Some were wonderful, some were edible, and several of them I could not eat (Haggis and brain come immediately to mind). For me at least, food is an art, not a fuel. I appreciate it when done well and loathe it when done badly - preparation or source.

The world is a fascinating place with remarkably different points of view. No offense Mark, but based on your comment, I guess I shall have to feel sorry for you? I have tried a lot of things in a lot of different corners of the world. Some were wonderful, some were edible, and several of them I could not eat (Haggis and brain come immediately to mind). For me at least, food is an art, not a fuel. I appreciate it when done well and loathe it when done badly - preparation or source.
No offense taken Sir. As a Canadian chef by trade I do agree with you. Yes appreciated by all when done and presented well. Food is also most certainly an art, but one cannot say a specific art is beautiful or they like it if they have never seen it, same in my mind for food, one should not dislike a taste or item without ever tasting, or even be willing to taste if they have an opinion on its taste.

Not you specifically as I do not know, however in my trade I hear, eew, yuk, that's discussing or I could/would never eat "that", or that comes from an animals ?? body part, and those type of comments, when the person saying has formed that opinion not based on a their experienced taste but a look, belief or mystical thing that forms their thoughts.

That is why in my 55 countries visited and consuming every item I could, I have not eaten anything I would not eat again, and am saddened by those who refuse to try a food/dish or item but say they dislike it. I would never force, pressure or expect someone to eat what they do not want, but I also would not respect that persons opinion on its taste.

The world of food is an exciting, varied and amazing thing.

BTW Robbie Burns day and haggis is a very delightful meal, as was the garlic pan fried flour dredged moose brain we enjoyed annually the morning after someone in camp shot one, it was a breakfast tradition all enjoyed. Not todays world as we now have some new diseases that preclude touching and consuming cerebral fluids.

I often say for comparison, its like the virgin who says they hate sex.

MB

I wish there was enough interest for an AH "Africa Shoot" where we converge on a place for five days of sport: sand grouse at dusk over water, duck/geese, guineas and francs over pointing dogs, maybe a dove shoot with beaters too. Then we all go our respective ways to do big game hunting or fishing for the rest of a holiday.

Africa is a underutilized wing-shooting paradise. It's a shame there isn't a push to have an AH sponsor put together a fun group shoot, 6-8 guns, five days, lots of socializing.

Would happily do this
South africa probably has the best wingshooting in world as far as species go
You can do francolin, guinnea fowl, various ducks and various geese and doves and pigeons all on one 3-4 day shoot
Will need at least 4-6 shooters for decent auccess

Send me a pm

I believe a safari camp should be comfortable !
i am a woman.
And have set many a hunting camp up.
I have roughed it many times but at the end of every safari.
I don’t care where the hunter comes from he/she wants a hot shower .
A good hearty meal!
Ice cold beer or Gin and tonic
My camp is not the best but it’s comfortable for every hunter and observer .
It has quite places for you to sit and read .
solar lights and fans in the tents .
Green lawn so dust isn’t and issue.
Most importantly making sure all tents are insect and spider free!
I find tents are easier to keep clean and insect free than buildings.
My staff are kept right through the year and are only too happy to assist in any need a hunter may have.

So if I’m understand correctly there in fact is not a offer for less than a non res special elk tag?
Remember I was talking about DIY guys. They’re not usually the kind of guys that want a high fence feed trough auction animal hunt. I’m quick to admit I’ve got a whole lot to learn about African hunting. But in the short time I’ve been looking in to it there’s a whole lot of word play going on to disguise the reality behind the cheaper prices of some of these hunts and even the more expensive ones for that matter. So I feel like my question was valid.
It is a valid question...I think the key my friend is to realize that Africa is huge, and each country is different, you have to ask a lot of questions, and find specifically what you want. It helps to find people that are looking for the same thing, this forum is a great resource. The other thing to remember is there is a lot more that can go wrong in Africa than anywhere in North America, and part of what you're paying for is preparation, safety, security.

I want to get some feedback on what guys would like in a camp and if a tent camp would be what some want. I know some like the standard SA outfitter camps the typical 3 to 5 star camps

I have seen plenty of guys say they do not always want fancy. Would a tent camp like you typically get in zim or moz be something guys would like in SA. Would still be a nice clean camp but a more roughing style look and feel.

So lets hear what are ah members would like.
Back to the original question.

Simple but comfortable wins for me. I've been in permenant tents in South Africa in two national parks and my last hunt was set up with one. I enjoyed them all and have great memories from them. But I can also say that for my simple comfortable chalets in Namibia for my first two hunts. One thatched roofed, one tin roof. Room with a comfortable bed and bathroom, done. Each time with meals on a covered dining area with a kitchen and braii. On the trip with the two national parks I was travelling after a hunt and also stayed at a couple A-frame cabins, a farm house, and wineries cottage, al fit the bill well for my previously mentioned needs. In the Karoo my A-frame cabin got upgraded to the properties very nice travel lodge as they needed the camp for another group. The lodge was similar to some of the hunting lodges I've seen, in fact it used to be one. I enjoyed it, but it was more than I needed. The big lodge, swimming pool and lawn was wasted on me. I just wanted a comfortable room, decent meal, a hot shower and a spot outside to put my feet up in the evening. I was hiking in the hills there and on a hunt I want to be out of my room hunting or roaming.

I believe a safari camp should be comfortable !
i am a woman.
And have set many a hunting camp up.
I have roughed it many times but at the end of every safari.
I don’t care where the hunter comes from he/she wants a hot shower .
A good hearty meal!
Ice cold beer or Gin and tonic
My camp is not the best but it’s comfortable for every hunter and observer .
It has quite places for you to sit and read .
solar lights and fans in the tents .
Green lawn so dust isn’t and issue.
Most importantly making sure all tents are insect and spider free!
I find tents are easier to keep clean and insect free than buildings.
My staff are kept right through the year and are only too happy to assist in any need a hunter may have.

a fair comment

I’m reminded of the saying …

‘Any fool can be uncomfortable’

if I may say in defence of my rather trivial input - I’d sooner authenticity over elaborate facilities

I’m building another camp at the moment- this time based upon a jungle warfare school

However there are no ‘cutting of corners’ in terms of fundamentals and basic comfort in its construction

j

I’m building another camp at the moment- this time based upon a jungle warfare school
Oh boy! This reminded me a Jungle Environment Survival Training (JEST) in the Philippines. A Negrito tribesman who had scouted for General McArthur was an assistant instructor. We built our own racks out of bamboo to keep us off the ground while we slept. I still awakened with rashes and bites from seemingly half the tiny critters in that jungle. I want more comfort than that at this point in my life... :)

Me too !!

It is supposed to be a comfortable base but with examples of innovative problem solving designs based upon what is around

We were very fortunate to find a 'spring matrass tree'; a tarpaulin tree and a BBQ tree

They were right behind the wine and beer trees

Who'da thought :cool:

JEST it isn't .....

I think that many romanticize about hunting Africa as it was in 1900. Back then, a hunting party had many dozens of porters, travel by foot or ox drawn wagon, NO antibiotics which some of us would have died without, travel to Africa via ship, and costs that only a few on this board could afford. Oh, that group doesn't include me.

We can however hunt Africa in today with modern medicine and even Global Rescue MEDIVAC if needed, motor vehicles, air travel to, from, and within Africa, and so on. In a temporary tent, permanent tent camp, chalet, or 5-star lodge, we ALL have it good today!

I think that many romanticize about hunting Africa as it was in 1900. Back then, a hunting party had many dozens of porters, travel by foot or ox drawn wagon, NO antibiotics which some of us would have died without, travel to Africa via ship, and costs that only a few on this board could afford. Oh, that group doesn't include me.

We can however hunt Africa in today with modern medicine and even Global Rescue MEDIVAC if needed, motor vehicles, air travel to, from, and within Africa, and so on. In a temporary tent, permanent tent camp, chalet, or 5-star lodge, we ALL have it good today!
Mark you are correct. My first PH in Africa was a good guy. Not a DG PH, in fact he was part time. He made the comment that Hunting in Africa is the best it has ever been. Plenty of game. Accessable game. And to your point, accessable to almost anyone with the ambition to make it happen. He said that in his opinion, Africa Hunting is in it Hay Day right now. There is something available for everyone and you can find the type of hunt you want. That was in 2014.

Mark you are correct. My first PH in Africa was a good guy. Not a DG PH, in fact he was part time. He made the comment that Hunting in Africa is the best it has ever been. Plenty of game. Accessable game. And to your point, accessable to almost anyone with the ambition to make it happen. He said that in his opinion, Africa Hunting is in it Hay Day right now. There is something available for everyone and you can find the type of hunt you want. That was in 2014.
I believe the hay days of African hunting are still in front of us. Not perhaps the hay days of bringing trophies back, nor travelling with firearms. But hunting in Africa, I strongly believe in it still. Especially the dangerous game hunting. There are frankly too many elephant for example. At some point the government will have a choice. Cull them themselves, or have a foreign hunter come do it.

I’d like to talk about the food in camp and out in the bush. One of the very best ways to experience a culture is thru their food, I prefer to eat local cuisine when I’m on vacation and that includes the side dishes. I can grill steak with the best of them, but I can’t make local side, if you serve Eland steak with fries and green beans no one will go away hungry but that’s not what I would call a “Taste of Africa”. At dinner I prefer some of your wonderful local Venison, traditional African sides paired with some South African wine or local beer.

Lunch at camp should be a light version of dinner minus the alcohol. Lunch in the field is a different story. On my first safari our field lunch was a cold fried chicken (4 quarters), cold Kudu sausage, cheese cubes, grapes, apples, homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and a cooler full of soft drinks. The basket also included real plates, real flatware and drinking glasses. On my second safari we had a sandwich with two pieces of packaged lunchmeat and American cheese, a hard-boiled egg, an apple, a bag of skittles and a Capri-Sun drink bag all server in a plastic lunch box. No, I’m not kidding that was our daily lunch on that safari. It’s not hard to guess which lunch I preferred; my elementary school days are in the distant past. Those two lunches are on the extreme ends of things but really some Kuku sausage, cheese, hard crusted bread, and some fruit would make a fine lunch in the field.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, not to fuel your clients but to make a first impression. Let’s start with the basics, serve REAL coffee, none of that instant stuff, and make sure the mugs are warm before I put my coffee in it. Don’t leave the coffee mugs and the butter out all night so they are almost frozen when I want to use them. Serve hot food hot, if you’re going to serve hot food buffet style make sure your using warning trays, no one likes cold eggs. Make sure your plates are warm, putting hot anything on a cold plate means you have cold food in seconds.

Ask yourself this question, would you fly halfway around the world and pay thousands of dollars to have instant coffee, hard rusks, a school kids’ lunch, and an average dinner to hunt with the same outfitter a second time?

The food and the food service are almost important as the hunting. Hunters and servicemen will put up with a lot but bad food is not one of them.

My first two safaris were to Namibia. The main building was a thatch roof lodge with 3 tents around the lodge. The tents were nice with wooden frames and canvas walls and top. The floor was built up from the ground with cinder blocks/concrete with large rugs. The tent were furnished with wood furniture and had electric lights. The back of the tent had a bathroom, built with cinder block walls with a flush commode on one side and a shower and sink on the other. Very nice accomodations that were pleasant and comfortable.

I’d like to talk about the food in camp and out in the bush. One of the very best ways to experience a culture is thru their food, I prefer to eat local cuisine when I’m on vacation and that includes the side dishes. I can grill steak with the best of them, but I can’t make local side, if you serve Eland steak with fries and green beans no one will go away hungry but that’s not what I would call a “Taste of Africa”. At dinner I prefer some of your wonderful local Venison, traditional African sides paired with some South African wine or local beer.

Lunch at camp should be a light version of dinner minus the alcohol. Lunch in the field is a different story. On my first safari our field lunch was a cold fried chicken (4 quarters), cold Kudu sausage, cheese cubes, grapes, apples, homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and a cooler full of soft drinks. The basket also included real plates, real flatware and drinking glasses. On my second safari we had a sandwich with two pieces of packaged lunchmeat and American cheese, a hard-boiled egg, an apple, a bag of skittles and a Capri-Sun drink bag all server in a plastic lunch box. No, I’m not kidding that was our daily lunch on that safari. It’s not hard to guess which lunch I preferred; my elementary school days are in the distant past. Those two lunches are on the extreme ends of things but really some Kuku sausage, cheese, hard crusted bread, and some fruit would make a fine lunch in the field.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, not to fuel your clients but to make a first impression. Let’s start with the basics, serve REAL coffee, none of that instant stuff, and make sure the mugs are warm before I put my coffee in it. Don’t leave the coffee mugs and the butter out all night so they are almost frozen when I want to use them. Serve hot food hot, if you’re going to serve hot food buffet style make sure your using warning trays, no one likes cold eggs. Make sure your plates are warm, putting hot anything on a cold plate means you have cold food in seconds.

Ask yourself this question, would you fly halfway around the world and pay thousands of dollars to have instant coffee, hard rusks, a school kids’ lunch, and an average dinner to hunt with the same outfitter a second time?

The food and the food service are almost important as the hunting. Hunters and servicemen will put up with a lot but bad food is not one of them.
good day sir, i have to agree and disagree vehemently with you here
i am as south african, if not more than most with very dark pigmented skin, i think about 5 generations or more.
so are you referring to "local" cuisine how we usually eat, or how my staff eats, and what they eat daily, bacause belive me, you dont want that, on most days, some of the meals they have sure are nice, but some not so much!!!

you moan about hard rusks, that is about as, local, south african as you get, everybody in south africa has hard rusks with their coffee in the morning, and usually thats all we have

real coffee i agree wholeheartedly, warm mugs, how do you do this???

eat what you shoot, yes for sure, how would us locals eat it, probably grill on the Braai, thats local, what would be on the side, probably "pap" and sauce (tomato and onion) and if you are lucky a veg or possibly a salad.

packed lunch, i hear you, school days are long gone, keep your juice in a bag thx or packet of sweet, braai a boerewors and have a few bread rolls, thats local

so while i think you have different views of what locals eat here, i think some of your ideas are good, somewhat fussy, but good :giggle:

at tallyho we give you local cuisine, but better, with some flair!!!
and we cook what you shoot...most days

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS "real coffee i agree wholeheartedly, warm mugs, how do you do this???"

That is picky but I am a coffee geek and understand. Not a Starbucks fanatic coffee geek (despise them) but as I live part of the year in the heart of Colombia's coffee country, real, quality coffee is one of my hobbies.

Easiest way to heat a coffee mug is to just use hot water. Pour it in the mug, give it a swirl and let it sit for a few moments. I do that every time as part of my coffee prep at home. If you have a Barista coffee machine, use the steamer. Non-coffee geek method, heat it in the microwave for 30 secs and then pour in the coffee. This is a DIY task unless I am crafting your coffee, or you are at a real coffee shop. Instant coffee? I would rather hunt with a push feed .243. :LOL: We bring coffee and tea with us.

Heating in the lodge for cold areas has been mentioned a few times and I understand this as well. When we first arrived in Limpopo last year, it was very cold and raining daily. As the lodge wasn't heated, there was no escaping the cold. I can get as miserable as required while hunting but I need to recharge at the lodge/camp. For me it was just uncomfortable, but Mama got a terrible cold and missed several days of hunting. Some may say we are weak and whining, but her not hunting cost the outfitter money as she wanted to hunt more animals. At out next lodge there were heaters and she recovered there for a few days while I chased buffalo.

We are foodies and Mama is a formally trained chef. We love good food! Local vegetables and wild game meat are must haves for the evening meal. If wild game in some form is served at other meals, great. Lunch, we love the in the field picnic lunch. Rusks? How can you not love a rusk dipped in your coffee or tea?

Safe hunting

No offense taken Sir. As a Canadian chef by trade I do agree with you. Yes appreciated by all when done and presented well. Food is also most certainly an art, but one cannot say a specific art is beautiful or they like it if they have never seen it, same in my mind for food, one should not dislike a taste or item without ever tasting, or even be willing to taste if they have an opinion on its taste.

Not you specifically as I do not know, however in my trade I hear, eew, yuk, that's discussing or I could/would never eat "that", or that comes from an animals ?? body part, and those type of comments, when the person saying has formed that opinion not based on a their experienced taste but a look, belief or mystical thing that forms their thoughts.

That is why in my 55 countries visited and consuming every item I could, I have not eaten anything I would not eat again, and am saddened by those who refuse to try a food/dish or item but say they dislike it. I would never force, pressure or expect someone to eat what they do not want, but I also would not respect that persons opinion on its taste.

The world of food is an exciting, varied and amazing thing.

BTW Robbie Burns day and haggis is a very delightful meal, as was the garlic pan fried flour dredged moose brain we enjoyed annually the morning after someone in camp shot one, it was a breakfast tradition all enjoyed. Not todays world as we now have some new diseases that preclude touching and consuming cerebral fluids.

I often say for comparison, its like the virgin who says they hate sex.

MB
Who said anything about not liking anything I haven't tried - or virginity for that matter?

I obviously wasn't clear. I have tried foods all over the world - I haven't counted the countries but I am sure it is at least 55. Many of them were wonderful, others were charitably edible, and yet others were disgusting. There are people in your trade who are artists and others who should be brick layers rather than cooks or chefs.

I have had Haggis several times and could not abide it. Like all food questions, it is an issue of taste - literally and figuratively. The fact that you have never found anything you couldn't or wouldn't eat again is irrelevant with respect to those things another would just as soon not be required to taste again. Being handed a goats eyeball at an Arab feast as we sat around a mound of rice with a goat carcass draped across it is another experience I can pass up in the future - though kabsa itself (fowl, goat, camel, or sheep) and the Bedouin eating tradition are something I enjoy.

I think we can find complete agreement in having little patience with those who refuse to try something at all.

Last edited:
I’d like to talk about the food in camp and out in the bush. One of the very best ways to experience a culture is thru their food, I prefer to eat local cuisine when I’m on vacation and that includes the side dishes.
@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS answered this as a 5th generation African.
Allow me to provide an observation from living with my Zambian-born wife. You DO NOT want to eat most of what the majority of the locals eat! Those in the majority are the native Africans, i.e. Swahili, Zulu, Bemba, Shona or any of the other native Bantu language speaking peoples. No offence Stuart or any of my African friends...

Note, I have enjoyed rattlesnake in the American desert, goat in Saudi Arabia, meat on a stick that may have been someone's dog, and so on. I also endured Marine Corps chow halls for more meals than I care to remember. Visiting a Navy or Air Force base we would make it a point to eat in their dining facilities! :)

My wife came from Zambia's upper society and can cook better than most people here or there. American Thanksgiving and Christmas meals at our house consist of at three main courses and many times more side dishes. All are delicious with the exception some of her African dishes. Yes if fact I have tried to eat them, more than once in fact!

Her staple is shima which is the same as South African pap, a corn meal paste. Very much tasteless. Then there are the fish complete with tasty fish heads. I do however like chiwawa which are chopped up pumpkin leaves. If fact, that is a hundred times better than the vegetable greens that I grew up with! Most other dishes have enough spice to fry an egg by themselves without a fire or stove! There are a few other dishes that are tasty but most, well there is a reason we do see many restaurants featuring sub-Saharan African cuisine.

At Tally Ho my wife eyed the Guinea fowl as a tasty meal. For my quest to maintain a "happy wife" Stuart and PH Rudi loaned me the camp Two-Two. Under my wife's direction the house girl cooked the birds in a pot over the camp fire. I was expecting a tough old bird but to my surprise, it rivaled the best of any Ringneck Pheasant I have ever eaten. Those birds are a local food we westerners probably most always overlook!

Last edited:
real coffee i agree wholeheartedly, warm mugs, how do you do this???
Just before your ready to serve coffee and food soak the mugs and plates in hot water, dry them and put them out for use. You'll have hot mugs and plates every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois