AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
In my opinion, this wood looks rather plain. Is it the lighting, quality of the wood or just a lackluster finish? @TOBY458
D3694D49-B552-4935-A9B9-90FCF6B8B19B.jpeg
4D024433-B418-4AB5-851E-C49094763609.jpeg
5A8DD2D0-29E1-4441-A429-8CE859CCA64E.jpeg

Last edited:

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Quite possibly lighting, IMO.

Would it be possible to do an inspection of the rifle before the sale is final?
Not sure you would want to absorb the cost of shipping a rifle (plus insurance), possibly both ways if you are not happy with it.
Although it would still be less expensive than trying to unload a Heym with ugly wood.

Edit - it would be difficult to say "no" to a rifle in hand. I hear it's worth two in the bush.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
Quite possibly lighting, IMO.

Would it be possible to do an inspection of the rifle before the sale is final?
Not sure you would want to absorb the cost of shipping a rifle (plus insurance), possibly both ways if you are not happy with it.
Although it would still be less expensive than trying to unload a Heym with ugly wood.

Edit - it would be difficult to say "no" to a rifle in hand. I hear it's worth two in the bush.
It’s within driving distance but I’m skeptical as it is. I’m not sure what it would cost to ship it here for inspection.... or if the dealer would be willing too.
FaceTime the owner! That way you can see it better. From the pictures I would say the wood is nothing special.
That’s actually a good idea! I’ll do that tomorrow. I agree though, nothing special...

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
A lot of Heym rifles have been imported by servicemen over the past 60 years.

Looks a lot like the Heym's you see for sale in Germany.

Plain open pore wood, and a matte finish.

Razorback

AH member
Reaction score
That’s a Martini Express rifle. They don’t make them in matte finish. The pictures are low resolution in poor lighting. I have 3 of them, my hunting partners have 2 more and I’ve handled a few dozen. I’ve never seen one with bad wood. This one might not be their best but I guarantee if you saw it in person it would be fairly nice. If it’s a good price, I’d request better high resolution photos or better yet get if for 3 day inspection.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
That’s a Martini Express rifle. They don’t make them in matte finish. The pictures are low resolution in poor lighting. I have 3 of them, my hunting partners have 2 more and I’ve handled a few dozen. I’ve never seen one with bad wood. This one might not be their best but I guarantee if you saw it in person it would be fairly nice. If it’s a good price, I’d request better high resolution photos or better yet get if for 3 day inspection.
I’m calling the dealer this morning to see what he will allow. Hopefully it works out.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Looks like an entry level working rifle. Send Hyem a photo with the serial number and ask their opinion.

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
Bad lighting/photographer. There is figure. Color is wrong/flat for walnut. Metal finish is greyed as well as flat. Appears to have been shot under fluorescent lights, which will always yellow and flatten colors. The recommendation to facetime is an excellent way to see it, hopefully in better lighting.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
I guess the seller is no longer interested.... he hasn’t returned my call in over a week. Very well know dealer in the south.

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
Makes you wonder if it sold already....

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
The stock looks like not finished. Also look like oiled. Stock may need to be smoothed and either oil finished or gloss finished. Wood looks good.
Krish.
I agree that it looks unfinished... it’s not what I’d expect from a Heym Martini.

Is it worth it to buy it and ha e the stock refinished?

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Very true but you’re going to take it buffalo and elephant hunting. No sense in having to worry if it picks up a scratch. I bought a Model 70 myself and hope to beat the crap out of it.

Andrew Short

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime member NRA
Very true but you’re going to take it buffalo and elephant hunting. No sense in having to worry if it picks up a scratch. I bought a Model 70 myself and hope to beat the crap out of it.
Very true but I have rifles for that. For a Heym it should be pretty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KourtneyMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.