AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
In my opinion, this wood looks rather plain. Is it the lighting, quality of the wood or just a lackluster finish? @TOBY458
D3694D49-B552-4935-A9B9-90FCF6B8B19B.jpeg
4D024433-B418-4AB5-851E-C49094763609.jpeg
5A8DD2D0-29E1-4441-A429-8CE859CCA64E.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite possibly lighting, IMO.

Would it be possible to do an inspection of the rifle before the sale is final?
Not sure you would want to absorb the cost of shipping a rifle (plus insurance), possibly both ways if you are not happy with it.
Although it would still be less expensive than trying to unload a Heym with ugly wood.

Edit - it would be difficult to say "no" to a rifle in hand. I hear it's worth two in the bush.

Quite possibly lighting, IMO.

Would it be possible to do an inspection of the rifle before the sale is final?
Not sure you would want to absorb the cost of shipping a rifle (plus insurance), possibly both ways if you are not happy with it.
Although it would still be less expensive than trying to unload a Heym with ugly wood.

Edit - it would be difficult to say "no" to a rifle in hand. I hear it's worth two in the bush.
It’s within driving distance but I’m skeptical as it is. I’m not sure what it would cost to ship it here for inspection.... or if the dealer would be willing too.
FaceTime the owner! That way you can see it better. From the pictures I would say the wood is nothing special.
That’s actually a good idea! I’ll do that tomorrow. I agree though, nothing special...

I bet it’s just poor lighting washing out the features. Metal looks matte black and that’s not what Heym express finish looks like.

A lot of Heym rifles have been imported by servicemen over the past 60 years.

Looks a lot like the Heym's you see for sale in Germany.

Plain open pore wood, and a matte finish.

That’s a Martini Express rifle. They don’t make them in matte finish. The pictures are low resolution in poor lighting. I have 3 of them, my hunting partners have 2 more and I’ve handled a few dozen. I’ve never seen one with bad wood. This one might not be their best but I guarantee if you saw it in person it would be fairly nice. If it’s a good price, I’d request better high resolution photos or better yet get if for 3 day inspection.

That’s a Martini Express rifle. They don’t make them in matte finish. The pictures are low resolution in poor lighting. I have 3 of them, my hunting partners have 2 more and I’ve handled a few dozen. I’ve never seen one with bad wood. This one might not be their best but I guarantee if you saw it in person it would be fairly nice. If it’s a good price, I’d request better high resolution photos or better yet get if for 3 day inspection.
I’m calling the dealer this morning to see what he will allow. Hopefully it works out.

Looks like an entry level working rifle. Send Hyem a photo with the serial number and ask their opinion.

There’s figure in that wood for sure, it just seems to lack highlights, it looks “flat”. It may well be poor light.

Bad lighting/photographer. There is figure. Color is wrong/flat for walnut. Metal finish is greyed as well as flat. Appears to have been shot under fluorescent lights, which will always yellow and flatten colors. The recommendation to facetime is an excellent way to see it, hopefully in better lighting.

I guess the seller is no longer interested.... he hasn’t returned my call in over a week. Very well know dealer in the south.

Makes you wonder if it sold already....

Here’s some updated pictures. Thoughts????
0E424972-7BB1-4DDC-B177-9680CD57A5DB.jpeg
7823C505-E7F7-416A-8A7B-2A570B12C687.jpeg
88E2FB13-522B-4108-A43D-1CCCC4D39028.jpeg

The stock looks like not finished. Also look like oiled. Stock may need to be smoothed and either oil finished or gloss finished. Wood looks good.
Krish.
I agree that it looks unfinished... it’s not what I’d expect from a Heym Martini.

Is it worth it to buy it and ha e the stock refinished?

I think it’s fine. If I had an extra $10k I’d buy the heck out of it and leave as is.
For 10k I’d like to think I’d get better wood :E Laugh:

Very true but you’re going to take it buffalo and elephant hunting. No sense in having to worry if it picks up a scratch. I bought a Model 70 myself and hope to beat the crap out of it.

Very true but you’re going to take it buffalo and elephant hunting. No sense in having to worry if it picks up a scratch. I bought a Model 70 myself and hope to beat the crap out of it.
Very true but I have rifles for that. For a Heym it should be pretty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg