Thoughts On The Administration’s Looming Lifting of the Ban on Elephant Trophy Imports

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Taken from FB, a post from @Ivan Carter.

full

Thoughts On The Administration’s Looming Lifting of the Ban on Elephant Trophy Imports

There is a substantial amount of rhetoric surrounding the current U.S. administration’s looming decision on the import ban applying to elephant and lion trophies. As a result, I am taking this opportunity to bring reason-based clarity to the discussions by summarizing the guiding principles influencing sustainable and ethical hunters. This writing seeks to engage thoughtful conversation amongst the stakeholders; to this end I respectfully request readers keep an open mind and approach this writing in a calm and pragmatic manner.

First and foremost, I support and advocate for the sustainable and ethical use of wildlife – utilizing wildlife’s inherent value in the most pragmatic manner to promote wildlife conservation. I am qualified to speak on this issue because I have spent my entire lifetime steeped in every aspect impacting wildlife around the world.

I have participated in myriad and countless conservation efforts ranging from wildlife relocation to anti-poaching efforts – on many occasions, risking my life to implement these conservations efforts – facing death or serious and massive bodily injury from both beast and poachers. I am willing to face these dangers because I love the wildlife and I want to see animals thrive – I am convinced by my life’s experience that the only way to achieve this conservation goal is by maximizing the wildlife’s inherent value.
More specifically relevant to this discussion, I have spent, cumulatively, years of my life amongst elephants. I love elephants and it is my belief that any time spent amongst elephants is a rare and invaluable experience that stays within each of us – within our souls – for the remainder of our respective lives. It is my opinion that when approaching elephant conservation from a global perspective, or at least a pan-African perspective, we are correct to be concerned for their future.

It is critically important (and reasonable) to understand that there is a vast difference between poaching and legal hunting performed in a sustainable and ethical manner. Like all conservationists, I abhor poaching and poachers and everything they represent. I likewise abhor non-sustainable and unethical hunting. I only support sustainable and ethical hunting and I sincerely believe that hunting that follows sustainable and ethical principles can be an incredible conservation tool. I know this because I have guided many people on elephant hunts and have thus seen first-hand the effect that sustainable and ethical hunting can have on local communities which deal with the wildlife on a daily basis.

It has been estimated that trophy hunting areas extend over 1.4 million square kms in Africa; that is approximately 22% more land than is covered by national parks in Africa. Much of the trophy hunting areas rely on trophy hunting as their sole “land use.” It is unclear how much of that land could be viable converted to solely photographic or non-consumptive tourism. However, if we arguably give up hunting in those areas, some other economic activity must replace the hunting activities in order to sustain the local countries and communities. It would indeed be ironic to lose 1.4 million acres of wildlife land and eliminate wildlife to make room for crops and domestic livestock – cattle being the most common large animal on the planet by far. They roam in their millions across landscapes that were once wild and teeming with wild game. Why not instead support sustainable and ethical hunting that in turn promotes animal conservation in areas where wildlife is abundant (and in some cases overpopulated – such as is the case with elephants in Botswana). Additionally, hunting activities can and do feed people in local communities. Therefore hunting activities provide for both feeding local populations and supporting and promoting the inherent value of wildlife populations.

I therefore ask that each of you consider the following premises:

1. The Inherent Value in Wildlife Is a Conservation Tool –
Where geographic sub-regional wildlife populations exist in healthy and sustainable numbers, sustainable and ethical hunting practices support and promote the inherent value that exists in wildlife. This result is due to the economic influx generated by the financial outlays expended by hunters that have a direct, significant and immediate impact on the local countries and communities in which wildlife exists. This inherent wildlife value promotes continued conservation initiatives and efforts at the grassroots, local governmental and international NGO levels. It is critical, however, that the hunting activities are supported by scientifically researched and competently-executed conservation practices that focus primarily on wildlife population health and sustainability.

Where hunting activities exists under substandard conservation efforts or conditions and as a result are poorly managed or unsustainable, the impact can be disastrous; these results are exampled by the current crisis that plagues the rhino populations. As I previously mentioned, I have spent most of my adult life engaged in conservation initiatives all over Africa. I have therefore been witness sadly, to the impact that poorly managed or unsustainable hunting practices have on ecosystems. Too often, I now visit ecosystems that are mere shadows of their former selves. My first-hand experience provides a nearly unique opportunity to compare thriving ecosystems and failed ecosystems where hunting activities exist. It is clearly apparent to me that the common thread existing amongst thriving ecosystems is that any wildlife-oriented activities – whether non-consumptive photographic or hunting – provide benefits to the local communities; this element raises the awareness and value in the ecosystems wildlife. Consequently, any reasonable person must at least consider that, provided the activity is carried out sustainably, ethically and for the benefit of the species, value maximization practices such as sustainable and ethical hunting of a wild population of any animal can be a beneficial practice to the species in question.

2. Elephant Populations Are Not Equally Distributed – The African continent (Africa) is composed of 54 different countries and many diverse habitats and ecosystems. There are, in fact, geographic areas in Africa whose elephant populations have been poached to the brink of local extinction (also known as extirpation). Comparatively, many other geographic sub-regions in Africa (especially in many southern African countries) contain successful and thriving elephant populations – in fact, in certain regions these Elephant populations are overpopulated/overcrowded to the point where the local ecosystem cannot adequately support the elephant populations. Consequently, any reasonable person must at least consider maximizing the conservation value of such populations by benefiting the communities and countries which they inhabit. By providing value to the local countries and communities in which elephant populations thrive, elephant populations become inherently valuable assets to those countries and communities and therefore encourage conservation efforts for the benefit of those elephant populations – this model is equally applicable to all wildlife populations.

3. No Meaningful Reduction in Legal Hunting Practices – The ban on elephant imports into the United States does not meaningfully change how many elephants are hunted in legal hunts. It does however, reduce the revenue generated to the local countries and communities in which the elephant populations live, thereby reducing the population’s inherent value to those local countries and communities and thusly negatively impacting conservation efforts that support those elephant populations. Consequently, any reasonable person must at least consider maximizing the inherent value of elephant populations by supporting legal, sustainable, and ethical hunting as a viable conservation alternative that has yielded successful results in Europe, the United States, and many other regions in the globe.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please share with everyone !

Ivan M Carter

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for passing this along. Very well written.

Thanks for passing this along. Very well written.

Gladly!

I'd love to figure out how to get @Ivan Carter with some of the outspoken conservatives, such as Laura Ingraham. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that even they have heard both sides of the story and I don' know anyone who could tell this side better.

Hopefully, Ivan has been able to have some of those conversations behind the scenes.

The @Trump administration has reported (from Twitter) that decision on sport hunted elephants is on hold. https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author.
However FWS shows that Zambia and Zimbabwe are in the clear until 2019, then it’s unclear. The snowflakes needed a pacifier of Trump calling it a horror, even though at an interview with Field and Stream, he was pro gun and pro hunting. It seems like Tanzania is on hold and under review. https://www.fws.gov/international/permits/by-activity/sport-hunted-trophies-elephants.html
P.S. The Donald knows how to handle the public: be vague.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 8.02.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 8.02.13 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 8.02.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 8.02.40 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
  • enhancement-finding-2017-elephant-Zambia.pdf
    14.9 MB · Views: 194
  • questions-and-answers-suspension-of-elephant-sport-hunted-trophies.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 155
  • questions-and-answers-suspension-of-Tanzania-elephant-sport-hunted-trophies.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 149
The @Trump administration has reported (from Twitter) that decision on sport hunted elephants is on hold. https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author.
However FWS shows that Zambia and Zimbabwe are in the clear until 2019, then it’s unclear. The snowflakes needed a pacifier of Trump calling it a horror, even though at an interview with Field and Stream, he was pro gun and pro hunting. It seems like Tanzania is on hold and under review. https://www.fws.gov/international/permits/by-activity/sport-hunted-trophies-elephants.html
P.S. The Donald knows how to handle the public: be vague.

You make a great point. The lift of the ban may very well be reversed, but it hasn't been yet. In this case at least FWS website > Twitter.

Im still not convinced as to how pro hunting Trump is though Time will tell.

Popularity is no substitute for good policy.

We shall see!

Another well written article that needs to be read by those in power. BTW does anyone on AH know how to get this onto some FB page that will be read by Pres. Trump? It might help him make up his mind. Right now, he seems to be walking the fence.

Thanks for sharing! As usual, a well written piece from Ivan

You make a great point. The lift of the ban may very well be reversed, but it hasn't been yet. In this case at least FWS website > Twitter.

Im still not convinced as to how pro hunting Trump is though Time will tell.
We won’t have to wait much longer, tomorrow is when the import decision will be made. Btw nice work with Zinke. In Tanzania, if you can’t export the elephant, it is off your 21 day license. Why can’t we just use CITES?

We won’t have to wait much longer, tomorrow is when the import decision will be made. Btw nice work with Zinke. In Tanzania, if you can’t export the elephant, it is off your 21 day license. Why can’t we just use CITES?

Why do you think the decision will be made today/tomorrow, just based on the "next week" comment Trump made, or did I miss something?

Totally agree on CITES. We are members and should follow the rules, or object within CITES.

Why do you think the decision will be made today/tomorrow, just based on the "next week" comment Trump made, or did I miss something?

Totally agree on CITES. We are members and should follow the rules, or object within CITES.
The announcement on Twitter was done 6 days ago, therefore will be announced tomorrow here is the tweet from the Donald himself
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

·
Nov 19

Big-game trophy decision will be announced next week but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of Elephants or any other animal.”

CITES is also much simpler, and forget not being able hunt marine mammals (how is a polar bear a marine mammal anyway? That’s like saying mammal that swims is a marine mammal) in Alaska, we just go to Canada, and comeback like we would in Alaska, only with Passport control. The ESA is a price of junk, it keeps Jaguar hunting closed, and the Jags are Near threatened like white rhino. At the very least, only control inside our borders

Last edited:
We will find out how Trump handles this? He's highly scrutinized and vilified in the media......

Which other president has been scrutinized this much?

Last edited:
If trump read or listened to Ivan Carter he would be lost within the very first sentence,you might have luck with Zinke but trump would be a complete waste of time and energy if you were talking about rapeing a elephant you might get his interest,

I think you are preaching to the choir. Great message but it needs a different pulpit.
As far as Trump and lifting the ban goes: I will be flat out shocked if he goes through with it. All he is interested in is a popularity contest ( beauty pageant?). If a decision is going to cost him votes he won't do it.

So much then for Trump the pro hunting / conservationist. Has he become another politician? One of the reasons I voted for him was his alliance with the NRA and his support of hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross