Thinking about getting an electronic powder measure/scale

RCBS Chargemaster works great for me. Occasional overcharge is easily fixed with lee powder dipper. No need to redo.

I didn’t see where you said what your price point is, use, or expected accuracy is…but this would be my choice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.02 AM.png
    991.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.05 AM.png
    595.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.08 AM.png
    467 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 69
I didn’t see where you said what your price point is, use, or expected accuracy is…but this would be my choice.

As I have a tendency to overindulge my hobbies, I hadn't really set a budget, per se. The V4 does look like one of the better ones on the market without needing to sell something else to rationalize it, lol.
It is probably more than I "need", but I'm still eyeing it.
The current tools are getting the job done, so I have plenty of time to over think this before making a decision.

I’ve loaded thousands on both.

Auto Trickler is about three times faster and more accurate than the Chargemaster. Downside: you need an app to run it and calibration takes longer.

I would say it depends on two things: budget and throughput. If you only load a few hundred rounds per year the Auto Trickler doesn’t do much for you.

I've used a Chargemaster for four or five years and will never go back. There is a bit of a learning curve for sure. I usually use a small metal tube insert (instead of a straw) to slow down the trickle. (Search Ebay for maker.)

FWIW I'm anal enough to use a secondary scale and dump my charge onto it first - and adjust with a single granule or three if necessary with a trickler. And I'm usually good at scooping Out a granule or two (or three) from the powder funnel when desired. (Scale shows more that 0.04 grains from desired.)

I adjust (if needed) while the Chargemaster is dropping the next charge - so almost no time is wasted as a result.

I probably only dump 5 or so charges out of 50 and do my adjustment thing on about 10 out of 50. I "think" I keep my drops to within +/- 0.05 grains.

But you can use Just the Chargemaster only, and be assured of staying within 0.1 grains if you pay attention - IMO. And probably 80 to 90% will be closer than that.

I bought an inexpensive digital scale from Amazon. About $35. weighs to 2 decimal points. When I check weights on my Ohaus/RCBS scale - it is right on the money. I also got a Hornady digital - weighs to one decimal point and is pretty slow, but it cost more than the cheap Amazon scale.

I weigh EVERY charge to within .02 grains.

Just as a FYI on measuring powders to the exact tenth of a grain.

A long time ago some magazine writers did a study using a beam scale, digital scale, and powder measure that dispensed powder at a turn of a handle. They loaded a number of cartridges using both methods and took the loaded rounds to the range.

Their conclusion was that one was just as good as the other and that you didn't need to weigh out each charge and any small discrepancy in powder weights didn't matter enough to worry about.

I used a RCBS balance scale and Uni-Flo powder measure for years. About 15 years ago went to a Lyman electronic scale / measure. It lasted about four years. I then purchased a Hornady model (no longer made). It speeds up charging. It can be off by .1 gr. Also, it isn’t real convenient to empty and I need to remember to clear out the charge tube. I do recalibrate before each use.
If I want or need real precision, I use the balance scale. I use the Uni-Flo throw for pistol and practice loads where precision isn’t a real concern and using ball powders.

A long time ago some magazine writers did a study using a beam scale, digital scale, and powder measure that dispensed powder at a turn of a handle. They loaded a number of cartridges using both methods and took the loaded rounds to the range.

Their conclusion was that one was just as good as the other and that you didn't need to weigh out each charge and any small discrepancy in powder weights didn't matter enough to worry about.
No doubt you are correct. I do it because I can and it never hurts to be meticulous while loading.

No doubt you are correct. I do it because I can and it never hurts to be meticulous while loading.
That's the thing about reloading, find a way that you are comfortable with and stick with it.

My Chargemaster throws a charge accurate enough for me but then I also watch the scale on it as the last few grains trickle in and it stabilizes

As far as powder charges go, their is some truth to what you are saying. For 300 yards and in, when you start getting to 1k + your SDs will play a big part in how well you do.

Honestly if you knew how some bench rest record were set, you well I shake my head in disbelief. Then realize that what they are doing. Which is tuning to that condition at that time on that day.

Having a good way to measure powder, (I have had all forms of scales). Does a lot for ones confidence and that is a big deal to shoot well. When you know you are making the best ammo possible you can start looking at other things that are causing issues. Same deal with you gear, I can give you all kinds of examples where I when cheap and tried to make some work.

I have sold 8 rifles to buy 1 (it was 7k back then). When shooting comps it was a whole new experience. Just my confidence in my gear help to improve me as a shooter. Gear can't make you a better shooter what it can do it give you confidence and that means a lot.

Sorry to go on about this it is one of those things.

Well, I fell off the fence. After reading all your experiences (greatly appreciated), watching too many YouTube video reviews and how-tos, reading multiple reviews, and generally overthinking this, I bought an RCBS Competition powder measure and a Lyman digital scale.
Took a good look at the (lack of) space on my bench and determined a digital measure/scale just wasn't going to fit where it would need to go. As the old Bell has served me, and my Dad before me, quite well for some 60 odd years, I decided another solid, manual powder measure was the better option. Arrived today and is now mounted on the shelf just above the bench and works like a charm. I expect it will be noticeably quicker and easier to use than the Bell with it's separate tube measures and fairly small hopper. The Bell will be passed on to my son as he is wanting to start reloading. Should give him many years of service as well.

I had one of the Hornady Autocharge dispensers. Worked OK for the first couple of reloading sessions, albeit with quite a few overcharges. About the third or fourth reloading session, it would dispense maybe 10gr or so and then shut itself off. After turning it back on and recalibrating, it might dispense one or two loads and then turn itself off again, mid-charge.

I called their Customer Service and was told it "might"be the power supply but that they didn't make that model anymore. He suggested looking on eBay; I won't repeat what I suggested to him. I relayed that story to the Hornady rep at DSC last year and he provided a contact at Customer Service who could help. Sure enough, three weeks later I had a new power cord. Now it would dispense 10 or 15gr and stop; wouldn't turn itself off, just stopped dispensing powder.

I tossed the Hornady in the trash and went back to using an RCBS Uniflow manually operated powder measure and a beam scale. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Being able to reload accurate ammo without tools that require a power source has always fascinated me. To this day it still does. The Lee loader has got to be the one of the most nifty kits ever devised; although I don’t use one. But it’s too cool just the same. Anyhow, to answer the posted question, most people are rarely disappointed with RCBS electronic powder measures.There are other good ones.

I had one of the Hornady Autocharge dispensers. Worked OK for the first couple of reloading sessions, albeit with quite a few overcharges. About the third or fourth reloading session, it would dispense maybe 10gr or so and then shut itself off. After turning it back on and recalibrating, it might dispense one or two loads and then turn itself off again, mid-charge.

I called their Customer Service and was told it "might"be the power supply but that they didn't make that model anymore. He suggested looking on eBay; I won't repeat what I suggested to him. I relayed that story to the Hornady rep at DSC last year and he provided a contact at Customer Service who could help. Sure enough, three weeks later I had a new power cord. Now it would dispense 10 or 15gr and stop; wouldn't turn itself off, just stopped dispensing powder.

I tossed the Hornady in the trash and went back to using an RCBS Uniflow manually operated powder measure and a beam scale. Saves a lot of time and frustration.
I just cannot trust anything but the tried and true manual scale when I load my powder. It makes me slow down which is needed for me. The exactness required calms me and I enjoy it so much and end up relaxed with my mind clear. An automated system would eliminate all of that at least for me. It is not about affordability it is about theroputic benefit for me

Last week I put another 500 loads of 44 magnum through my RCBS Chargmaster and not a single hiccup on it. Every load was thrown accurately.

I use an RCBS Chargemaster Lite. As long as the warm up procedure is adhered too, it works without issue. Dont leave it out in the cold/heat either. I bring mine in from the garage after usage. These do not do well with cold or hot weather at all

I received my Autotrickler V4. It is everything I hoped. I am getting every throw within 2/100ths of a grain. Attached is a typical target from my 6.5 PRC at 100 yards. The improvement is very noticeable.

Image1678648732.369763.jpg

@WAB , I wasn't familiar with the Autotrickler V4 so I went to their website. As I understand it, the Autotrickler is just that, a fast and accurate trickler. When you pair it to the A&D FX-120i electronic scale at an additional cost, then you have a super duper automated system for about $1300.

@WAB , I wasn't familiar with the Autotrickler V4 so I went to their website. As I understand it, the Autotrickler is just that, a fast and accurate trickler. When you pair it to the A&D FX-120i electronic scale at an additional cost, then you have a super duper automated system for about $1300.

Yep, that’s it. Here is a pic.

Image1678656374.175897.jpg

I’ve been reloading for just north of 45 years and still use some of my original equipment. I’m playing with some hyper-accurate toys, so I decided that it was time to upgrade in some key areas. Case prep and powder scales were the first on the list.

I refuse to use the new bullets designed to explode on impact, aka Berger, as I think that their approach to terminal ballistics is insane. Hence, I’ve been on the hunt for long range bullets with a better approach to terminal ballistics. The group above was shot with Nosler 6.5 mm, 142 gr AccuBond LRs. Unfortunately swift hasn’t gotten into the heavy for caliber bullets (a 6.5 mm, 145 gr Scirocco would be awesome!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!