Thinking about getting an electronic powder measure/scale

Been there too. Oops!

Iv been running the charge master for years. It’s definitely a time saver it’s working for you while your charging and seating bullets. If it over or under throws just add or subtract with tweezers no need to pore it back in the hopper. I can easily charge and seat a round every 30 to 45 seconds.

I have used the RCBS Chargemaster for many years and have had no problems with it at all.
My reloading bench is in my temperature controlled garage and I have a rock solid bench. That is important as you don't want your bench moving around on you after calibrating your scale.
Sometimes I will get an overcharge but it is when I am using extruded powder like 4064. When I am using ball powder for example, it is dead on every time.
I would not want to go back to a beam scale as it has really made my reloading speed and workflow much better.
And yes, a couple of times I have left the side port open after dumping powder only to have powder flowing out onto my bench the next time I fill it!

It is interesting that some people do not have issues with the Charge Master. Mine is in a dedicated reloading room in my house on an extremely well built bench. I never seat bullets when dropping powder and tend to be extremely methodical and careful.

Not sure if I got a bad machine but the scale is too slow for the trickler. The speed and accuracy of the scale is what sets the AutoTrickler apart.

One thing I always caution ChargeMaster users is to wait the 3-5 seconds after it stabilizes to get the final reading on the scale. See the video I posted above.

That is where I like my method of loading when using it. Throw a charge and dump it into the case and place the tray back onto the scale. Then while it is dumping the next charge seat the bullet then come back to the scale and watch it finish off and stabilize, then repeat.

As I said it took me a while to come up with a process that works for me and while there is a few seconds that you need to wait for the scale to stabilize the next powder charge it is only a short time and I don't think that it really slows me down.

It is interesting that some people do not have issues with the Charge Master. Mine is in a dedicated reloading room in my house on an extremely well built bench. I never seat bullets when dropping powder and tend to be extremely methodical and careful.

Not sure if I got a bad machine but the scale is too slow for the trickler. The speed and accuracy of the scale is what sets the AutoTrickler apart.

One thing I always caution ChargeMaster users is to wait the 3-5 seconds after it stabilizes to get the final reading on the scale. See the video I posted above.
I've read where even the AC or heat blowing out of a duct can influence the scale. Same with a ceiling fan. I guess that's why these auto systems come with the cover over the scale.

I've read where even the AC or heat blowing out of a duct can influence the scale. Same with a ceiling fan. I guess that's why these auto systems come with the cover over the scale.
Very true. When I am reloading and using my scale, my garage door is closed, gas heater off (during winter) etc. I don't want any breezes or gusts moving across my reloading bench.

Even if you do have your AC or heat on you can always check the accuracy on a different scale. I still have 2 beam scales and a different digital scale.

I am in the habit of seating a bullet before the next charge is thrown, so it sounds like that will work well with one of these. Never had a double charge, nor an empty case using this method. And if I have to pause in production, there is never a question where I left off.
Don't have a furnace (boiler, hot water heat), and my reloading room is a roughly 6'x6' closet in the basement. Air movement isn't a problem.
Some of these have apps that work with them, but I've read that some devices can be influenced by a cell phone laying on the bench. Any experience with that type of issue?
My bench is rock solid, almost 2" thick, ply with hardboard surface, sitting on concrete with reinforced cabinets below. Essentially has 3 full depth legs 1.5" thick plus the front and back, both 3/4", but vibration will travel through any structure to some degree. The scale sits on a shelf bolted to the cinderblock wall, so I would think it is as isolated as possible from vibrations off the bench.
Had not looked at the Lyman models yet, or the V3 or V4, so I'll be doing some more reading on those. It sounds like there is a need to have one of these elevated, or close to an edge in order to dump the canister for a powder change. Also sounds like getting in the habit of closing the gate after dumping would be wise.

I just rotate mine around to where I hold the powder bottle off of the edge of my table, but to get all the powder out you have to tilt it a sideways a bit.

One thing on purchasing one, if you get a account on Midway they will give you a pretty good discount on your birthday. That is when I picked up my Chargmaster.

I've read a number of threads here and a couple other sites, and haven't found enough information to knock me off the fence, yet. How many of you use an electronic measure/scale? What are the pros and cons that you have encountered using them? I have used a Bell powder measure and a RCBS 505 balance beam scale for almost 40 years without issue, but have wondered if the electronic versions might be easier? faster (I like my time reloading, so not a big factor)? Are they as accurate as they claim (important)? Are they fairly simple to change powders with (also important)? Several of you have mentioned using electronic scales, but are those the kind that still require a separate measure? What I'm really looking at is either an electronic measure that would feed my balance beam pan, or an all-in-one that measures and weighs both. Probably the biggest question is, are they worth the money?
Some issues that I've seen mentioned without details, are sensitivity to bench vibrations and cell phones being close by. Just trying to find some real world experience, and of course, model recommendations. Appreciate the help, and the cautions.
@Woodcarver
I've been using an electronic scale for over 10 years now and wouldn't be without it. Quick dimple and even a dummy like me can use it. The main use is check weighing the weight of my volumetric powder thrower. They are accurate to plus or minus 0.1 gn. They are subject to the same things as a beam scale like breezes and being level.
The new fangled do everything thing electronic thrower/ measures and scale all in one are out if my price range but my mate has on and thinks it's the ducks guts but slow. Around 5 to 10 seconds to throw a charge for his 30-06.
Bob

Have a herters beam scale since it was 13 haven't blown anything up yet (knock on wood). Never needs batteries.bought a grams scale to weigh shot.had to take the first one back im not a match shooter so once I get my powder charge set I only spot check. Money better spent on good quality powder measure.

I’d imagine you would be satisfied were you to get one. Personally, I use a cheap Lee powder thrower and trickle up on a $35 MTM digital scale. Works fine and I get consistent charges that way. I doubt my scale is as accurate as the expensive ones, but for my hunting rifles it’s close enough being I trickle to the the same number for each charge.

I have a cheap Lee powder measure as well; think I paid less than $20 for it. All plastic. Used it briefly with extruded powder and decided it was not suitable, at all. But it works great for flake and ball, so it does get used when loading pistol and small bore ammo. It is very accurate with those types of powder. Once fine tuned, I rarely need to use the trickler. The stand is a bit flimsy, and the chamber pivot a little stiff, so it's no speed demon, but it works well for the amount of use it gets.
A quality powder measure is also a possibility, but, I'm still leaning towards one of these electronic setups. I did get the glass window repaired on the old Bell, so it's still going strong. Been working on a 270gr load for a 375 yesterday and today. Think I found what it likes as it put 3 touching at 100yd this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll see if the others like the same load.

I am in the habit of seating a bullet before the next charge is thrown, so it sounds like that will work well with one of these. Never had a double charge, nor an empty case using this method. And if I have to pause in production, there is never a question where I left off.
Don't have a furnace (boiler, hot water heat), and my reloading room is a roughly 6'x6' closet in the basement. Air movement isn't a problem.
Some of these have apps that work with them, but I've read that some devices can be influenced by a cell phone laying on the bench. Any experience with that type of issue?
My bench is rock solid, almost 2" thick, ply with hardboard surface, sitting on concrete with reinforced cabinets below. Essentially has 3 full depth legs 1.5" thick plus the front and back, both 3/4", but vibration will travel through any structure to some degree. The scale sits on a shelf bolted to the cinderblock wall, so I would think it is as isolated as possible from vibrations off the bench.
Had not looked at the Lyman models yet, or the V3 or V4, so I'll be doing some more reading on those. It sounds like there is a need to have one of these elevated, or close to an edge in order to dump the canister for a powder change. Also sounds like getting in the habit of closing the gate after dumping would be wise.
Speaking of double charges, apparently it must occur enough considering how much it’s mentioned. I always take a case from one tray on the left side of my press and place the charged cases in another tray on the right side of my press. I’ve never had a double charge. Also, I wouldn’t say it’s underrated, but I’ve found that not being disturbed and not interacting with others while reloading has great value. These might be good topics for a separate thread, but I just assume they’ve been covered already.

Last edited:
I have the Lyman Gen 6 - got it on sale about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed it. Fast and accurate, but as others have mentioned - switching powders and clean up is a minor pain. I usually prep 100+ pieces of brass and make one run of it. It has an auto repeat function that will start throwing the next charge as soon as the pan is back in place, really makes reloading so much easier… before that I had a manual scale and also a cheap digital scale. To me it’s worth every penny

I have a small Frankford Arsenal that I bought on Amazon for $29 eight years ago. It's still going strong. :E Strong:

I use the autotrickler v4 and it's fantastic. I used to use a rcbs charge master that now just sits collecting dust. The autotrickler is faster and is way more accurate and very rarely will ever throw more than the targeted weight. If it does its literally one kernel worth. The worst is when using N570, but that has more to do with each kernal being the size of a freshly cut christmas tree. The rcbs charge master does work decently well though, it's just way slower.

While I was waiting for the autotrickler on the wait list, I had bought the scale that goes with it and would double weigh my loads that the charge master was doing. It was usually close but for precision, you'd want a second scale to double check each throw of powder because it would be off by a small amount more than I'd like. For just every day shooting/hunting rounds, it was definitely more than adequate and would match or exceed the consistency of most factory ammo.

of these have apps that work with them, but I've read that some devices can be influenced by a cell phone laying on the bench. Any experience with that type of issue?
I had a Lyman DPS (3.generation), among several strange things I want banana if my cell phone was in the room. It also needed 30min warmup, for no apparent reason it would decided to measure a much to large charge and it was sloooow. Useless POS.
Now I am using a Frankford arsenal, now issues. It just do the job.

For small batches or load development a electronic dispenser is gold. Loading large batches, nope.
This dispensers were the thing for a short time over here among competitive rifeshooters, most had 2 of them set up to speed things up. Everyone I know are now back at using the powder measure of their progressive press. Ammo weren't more precise, it just took more time to produce.

I use the Hornady Lock-n-Load Auto Charge, which I believe is no longer made

Until I realized I could change when the trickle operation started it would constantly throw over charges with stick type powders. Now that I have it tweaked its very good. Should it ever break I would 100% be buying another electronic measure of some kind.

To me, its worth every penny. I use it for 460S&W Mag, 6.5, 300WSM, and any other hunting round that I want to be very accurate. For everything else I use a Dillon 650

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you