Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
I've read a number of threads here and a couple other sites, and haven't found enough information to knock me off the fence, yet. How many of you use an electronic measure/scale? What are the pros and cons that you have encountered using them? I have used a Bell powder measure and a RCBS 505 balance beam scale for almost 40 years without issue, but have wondered if the electronic versions might be easier? faster (I like my time reloading, so not a big factor)? Are they as accurate as they claim (important)? Are they fairly simple to change powders with (also important)? Several of you have mentioned using electronic scales, but are those the kind that still require a separate measure? What I'm really looking at is either an electronic measure that would feed my balance beam pan, or an all-in-one that measures and weighs both. Probably the biggest question is, are they worth the money?
Some issues that I've seen mentioned without details, are sensitivity to bench vibrations and cell phones being close by. Just trying to find some real world experience, and of course, model recommendations. Appreciate the help, and the cautions.

I'm an old school reloader too and enjoy using a beam scale (RCBS 10-10 in my case). My hunting buddies 'took pity' on me and bought me an electronic scale as a gift.

I have used it out of interest to verify loads. I can't say that this shed a whole lot of light on any precision - as you mentioned, the e-scale does drift occasionally which doesn't instil confidence about potentially using one as the sole measure.
You ask about accuracy and I am not sure how one gets a true baseline on this but if you mean consistency, then for me the beam wins hands down because of the sensitivity of the e-scale.
Of course there are different and probably better models of e-scale out there - my comments are based on a very limited sample size.

Where I have found the e-scale useful:
1. Weighing cases with and without water to measure H2O capacity
2. Weighing an unknown weight, whether measuring the mass of bullets or checking that a load that you've fed into a case is in fact the weight intended.
3. Switching between grains and grams (some Euro data is given in grams)
4. Obviously much faster to get a reading on an unknown mass - beam scales are PITA to fiddle around weighing an unknown mass.

Do any of these uses justify an e-scale? For my purposes no. It's a nice to have and knowing what I know now, I still wouldn't bother getting one.

Of course, if you're loading in big volumes, then the auto-loaders with integrated e-scales are a different kettle of fish. I would completely agree that they make sense and are very advantageous. You may be sacrificing some precision/consistency for speed but bulk ammo uses seldom require the utmost precision.

I seldom load more than say 30 rounds at a sitting. And I enjoy focusing on being precise and consistent, which I like to think that my current method including the beam scale affords me.

I have a RCBS Chargemaster and I really like it. It was a game changer for me in reloading due to speed and ease of use.

It is expensive and there are days where I need 40 throws for 30 "good" ones. But it's easy to just dump the powder back in the hopper and go again. I've done the "throw, then reweigh" thing a few times and accuracy seems to be pretty good. I recalibrate every time I use it.

I don't use half the capabilities of my Chargemaster - if I had it to do again, I'd likely get the Chargemaster Link.

I use the Chargemaster also

takes the chore out of part of the reloading process and with little compromise in accuracy

if it over or under weighs a load, the display tells you - just chuck it back and do another

I will occasionally check a load on separate scales during a run

If you want an electronic scale I suggest the one on the right. It is an auto trickler V3 (they do make a V4 now). It's accurate to .02 grains of powder (about 1 kernelof powder). It pretty fast too. The one on the left is a lot more specialized. Would not recommend it for the average person unless they shot a lot of the same load and had the money to spend.
20220408_154818.jpg

I had a Chargemaster and was never satisfied. It was slow and too many overcharges. I changed speeds, tried the straw trick, bought some “overserts” to regulate the flow and nothing solved the problem.

I bought an AutoTrickler V3 and have been very pleased. It is expensive and the scale is sold separate, however it is fast and accurate. The scale reads to 2/100 of a grain. It took a while to wrap my brain around the extra decimal point. A kernel of Varget weighs .02 of a grain.

Adams E-Targets are great also.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.26.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.26.05 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.26.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.26.07 PM.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 76
Inline6,

We posted at the same time. The Prometheus is fast and accurate, but you can you buy them are still have to lease them? The owner at one time had some strange requirements.

I grew up weighing every single load on a RCBS beam type scale. Used a powder measurer to throw a load and then hand trickled. Very accurate and very slow.

After 30-40 years of not reloading, I decided to get back into it a few years ago. A co-worker who was big into reloading gave me a refresher course over a couple of weekends. He had a Lyman Gen 5 powder system and I really liked it, so I bought one. I'm not sure there is much difference in the different brands, as they basically do the same thing. Buy one and you won't regret it.

1661172387803.png

I have an RCBS Charge Master, and like it a lot. If you let it warm up, this thing is fast, and very accurate. I'm a bit anal about weighing powder charges, and I double check (about every 5 loads) the charge on a Dillon Precision D-Terminator scale. What I like about the Charge Master the most it is how simple it is to use, and once set up, it is very fast and accurate. Once I dump the powder in the case, by the time the bullet is seated, I already have a new charge on the pan. That's how fast it is. IMHO, it simplifies and speeds up the loading process. I would say that you won't regret getting this powder scale.

I actually posted the same questions last year. I ended Up with the charge master and couldn’t Be happier.

I have both, charge master and the Lyman. I like the Lyman because it’s cheaper and does a better job overall. The table has to be very stable with no movement coming from anywhere. Once the charge is where you need it go to auto. Every time you place the cup on it sets it off. For all the rounds and calibers I do, it’s very nice

Inline6,

We posted at the same time. The Prometheus is fast and accurate, but you can you buy them are still have to lease them? The owner at one time had some strange requirements.
You can buy them or lease them now. To buy is 5500.00 and a year long wait. When I got mine it was lease only. It is the fastest scale I have ever used.

I use the Hornady Lock-n-Load Auto Charge (now discontinued).. its changed my reloading life :)

Its not the best electronic measure... its notorious for throwing an overcharge about one out of every 7 or 8 powder throws.. but it always catches them and lets you know when it happens.. so its really just more of a frustration rather than a safety issue.. but for the price at the time I bought it (I think I paid about $250?) its been worth every penny and then some.. Ive cut the time it takes to load 100 rounds of something like .308 in half of what I used to spend, and get just as accurate/quality loads as I did when using a traditional scale and hand measuring out each charge..

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012762980

supposedly the new hornady Auto Charge Pro has fixed some of the known issues of the Lock-n-Load Auto Charge.. if/when my lock-n-load ever dies, I'll likely go with the Auto Charge Pro (like its predecessor.. its reasonably affordable.. and I have had very positive results with the predecessor)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.07 PM.png
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.10 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.12 PM.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.23 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.24 PM.png
    831.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.26 PM.png
    830.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 6.19.30 PM.png
    357.5 KB · Views: 65
This is what drove me crazy with the Chargemaster

This is the AutoTrickler.

Thanks for sharing this Mike. I just ordered the Auto Trickler V4 from MacDonald innovations. Imagine my surprise to find that they are not only in New Brunswick, but show their location as my alma mater, UNB Fredericton!

I've got the RCBS Chargmaster and have had zero problems with it. It takes a little bit of understanding but once the learning curve is over it is just as accurate as any scale and powder dispenser out there. I adjusted how I load when using it and find that if I dump the powder into the case and then seat the bullet that the next charge is sitting there waiting for me. I may have to wait a second or two as it finishes trickling in the last few grains but it is actually quite fast.

My only complaint is how you need to return unused powder to the powder bottle. There is a hole on one side that you dump the powder out of into the bottle. But other than that I have zero complaints.

I've got the RCBS Chargmaster and have had zero problems with it. It takes a little bit of understanding but once the learning curve is over it is just as accurate as any scale and powder dispenser out there. I adjusted how I load when using it and find that if I dump the powder into the case and then seat the bullet that the next charge is sitting there waiting for me. I may have to wait a second or two as it finishes trickling in the last few grains but it is actually quite fast.

My only complaint is how you need to return unused powder to the powder bottle. There is a hole on one side that you dump the powder out of into the bottle. But other than that I have zero complaints.
…. And much hoping around and cursing when you forget to close the drain valve and the next time you use it you watch a lb of your favourite powder poor onto the floor

Good point @JimP, returning the unused powder is a PIA. You have to be real careful to clear all the powder from the container. Thanks for the reminder, this is the only negative (in my opinion) to this system.

…. And much hoping around and cursing when you forget to close the drain valve and the next time you use it you watch a lb of your favourite powder poor onto the floor
lol.. this is very much true with the hornady option as well.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!