Thermal scope questions

If I could do again I would get the pulsar ranging binos instead of the monocular. The light messes up that eye for a few seconds after using, and the laser rangefinder is more handy than stereotactic.

You will need a handheld along with scope. It is much more handy and can be used to track deer and scout. I would actually purchase that first

Truth be told I get a LOT of mileage out of my handheld.. If I were only buying one thermal device I'd start with a handheld first.. It is excellent for spotting game at distance before first light.. excellent for spotting nighttime critters like coyotes, bobcats, hogs, etc.. and Ive gotten use out of it a couple of times finding downed deer that ran into the thick stuff prior to going down (one last year piled up under a tree and was 1/2 covered in dry brown leaves.. it would have taken a LONG time to find her.. the thermal made it a 1 minute task)..

For me, I dont require a whole lot out of a handheld (although I have a very nice 640 resolution unit).. an entry level $500-$600 unit would have done the job just fine for my needs.. an inexpensive handheld unit is a good way to stick a toe into the water of thermals and figure out what you like, what options are important to you, etc.. without having to break the bank in the process, and get an extremely useful tool along the way.. a very basic 256 resolution handheld is plenty for spotting downed game, seeing heat out to several hundred yards, doing full target identification out to about 200 yards, etc..

If I were to do it all over again, I would have spent $550 on an AGM Taipan 10-256 monocular.. and kept the other $3K that was spent on the Pulsar Axion 2 LRF ($3500 monocular).. and bought a $3-$4K thermal scope for actually engaging targets (like the Pulsar Thermion)..

Dont get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE the Pulsar Axion 2 LRF.. it is an incredible piece of kit.. but its WAY more than I actually need for the purpose(s) I use it for..

Last thing. My duo has hd day camera that can be used as regular scope for hunting. Nice because built in recorder if you like that stuff. make sure legal in your neck of the woods.

It does not have laser rangefinder though. On the laser models they have added ballistics calculator that puts your shot holdover on the digital reticle. If you will dedicate to night hunting I would get that one.

It is my understanding you can not take this stuff to Africa. I know some people that have, especially my duo because you can just show them day time scope. However bringing any night vision equipment into South Africa is a big no no

Probably one of the best deals on a high resolution (640 sensor) thermal scope from a quality manufacturer right now. $3k for a 640 res. I have one and it's great (I also have an older Pulsar that's been trouble free)

Attachments

• Pulsar Thermion XG50 3-24X Thermal Riflescope PL76529 For Sale | SHIPS FREE - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    636.7 KB · Views: 17
Probably one of the best deals on a high resolution (640 sensor) thermal scope from a quality manufacturer right now. $3k for a 640 res. I have one and it's great (I also have an older Pulsar that's been trouble free)

That is an exceptional deal. Honestly the best deal on a Pulsar that Ive ever seen...

@Philip Glass this is the scope youre looking for.. Extremely high quality.. extremely well regarded customer service.. being sold by a known and reliable retailer.. at the best price I think you'll ever see...

It meets your requirements of fitting into standard rings.. and looks more like a "regular" scope than pretty much anything else on the market (there are a few other thermals that fit into rings.. like the ATN Thor.. but they are also more blocky looking in appearance and much more obviously an electronic optic of some sort than the Pulsar Thermion)..

I wasnt planning on dropping $3K on my next thermal (all I really need/want is something clear enough to shoot pigs at 200 yards or less.. most engagements would be under 100 yards).. but that might be a deal I simply cant pass up...

That is an exceptional deal. Honestly the best deal on a Pulsar that Ive ever seen...

@Philip Glass this is the scope youre looking for.. Extremely high quality.. extremely well regarded customer service.. being sold by a known and reliable retailer.. at the best price I think you'll ever see...

It meets your requirements of fitting into standard rings.. and looks more like a "regular" scope than pretty much anything else on the market (there are a few other thermals that fit into rings.. like the ATN Thor.. but they are also more blocky looking in appearance and much more obviously an electronic optic of some sort than the Pulsar Thermion)..

I wasnt planning on dropping $3K on my next thermal (all I really need/want is something clear enough to shoot pigs at 200 yards or less.. most engagements would be under 100 yards).. but that might be a deal I simply cant pass up...
I really would pay a bud more and get lrf model with laser rangefinder.

You can find these used a lot. Impulse buy for lots and they turn around and trade in.

If you use a LRF in daytime hunting, you will need it even more at night. None of they daytime ones will work at night (can’t see animal)

I have hunted with both night vision and thermal scopes. I have not hunted with the latest generations of thermal scopes. My question is can you see bushes, trees, and objects in front of an animal? I know a guy who missed several animals in thick cover because he could not see the objects in his bullet path.

So, I used night vison on my last hunt so I could see objects in the bullet path. I used thermal handheld to locate game. Are the latest thermals better now at seeing a clear bullet path? Or should I get a thermal handheld and a night vision scope?

I have hunted with both night vision and thermal scopes. I have not hunted with the latest generations of thermal scopes. My question is can you see bushes, trees, and objects in front of an animal? I know a guy who missed several animals in thick cover because he could not see the objects in his bullet path.

So, I used night vison on my last hunt so I could see objects in the bullet path. I used thermal handheld to locate game. Are the latest thermals better now at seeing a clear bullet path? Or should I get a thermal handheld and a night vision scope?
Yes, with thermal you can see trees/ leaves/ branches/ grass just fine, especially high res 640 models

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.56.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.56.35 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I really would pay a bud more and get lrf model with laser rangefinder.

You can find these used a lot. Impulse buy for lots and they turn around and trade in.

If you use a LRF in daytime hunting, you will need it even more at night. None of they daytime ones will work at night (can’t see animal)
LRF could be useful depending on gun and situation. A lot of night hunting won't be ultra long range though. I always use a flat shooting cartridge for night hunting though if I think shots could be long. It is much harder to estimate distance at night. The non LRF pulsar has a stadiametric rangefinder feature in it. I haven't needed a rangefinder yet on mine but I can see the utility

I think the answer is "it depends"... the higher the resolution, the more clarity youre going to get at all distances..

Ive got a Sightmark Wraith HD Day/Night vision scope.. at ranges inside 150 yards its got some advantages over thermal (IMO) in that what Im looking at looks similar to what I see during daytime only in a black / white / greyscale image.. out past 150 yards, even with a really good IR light (I run a SniperHog) things arent quite as clear and spotting/targeting game isnt as easy as with the thermal..

A really good thermal running 640 resolution will provide a lot of image clarity.. but you still have to have disparate temps between objects or items on an object (shaggy coat on an animal vs its actual body) to obtain clarity.. so in cooler outside temps a thermal will generally be more clear vs hot outside temps where things like rocks, etc retain heat, a thermal might be more limited..

Each has its advantages/disadvantages.. there is a reason the military still runs NV at times vs thermal.. its situation dependent..

hunting grade Day/Night vision like the ATN X-Sight or the Sightmark Wraith is reasonably affordable.. about 1/3 what a decent slightly above entry level thermal will cost you.. but if you step into latest generation NV, its easy to spend equally as much or even more than high end thermal optics..

In terms of image quality, clarity, and seeing the bullet path you are interested in.. you have to be careful to compare apples to apples... a $5K NV optic will see A LOT that a $500 NV optic wont.. and a $1500 thermal will see things the $500 NV wont.. but the $500 NV will see some things more clearly than the entry level thermal will..

LRF could be useful depending on gun and situation. A lot of night hunting won't be ultra long range though. I always use a flat shooting cartridge for night hunting though if I think shots could be long. It is much harder to estimate distance at night. The non LRF pulsar has a stadiametric rangefinder feature in it. I haven't needed a rangefinder yet on mine but I can see the utility
Mine I said above has stadia metric and not LRF. I hate it. I agree it’s not a must, but for a big purchase I would get what you want for another 1000 bucks.

I use 6.5prc at night, so I agree don’t need it if never hunting over 250. That said, scope works way farther than that, but really couldn’t be used without ability to range b

Thanks for the response. My main focus would be night hunting for hogs or predator hunting here in Texas. My budget I suppose would be 2 to 4K. I guess my biggest factor is wanting a scope that has decent or good to impressive resolution out to probably 200 yards max, I tried to embrace night vision first but it seems like I was always too far behind in my willingness to pay the price needed to capture the best quality at the time back in the generation two or gen three years. I wasn’t sure if it’s the same way with thermal in today’s world?

What part of Texas are you in?

I’m in the DFW area and have a few thermals and a little experience…

Looks like they don’t cover you guys but there must be something similar over there. QD mounts would be the way to go. Although the clip on the front of your scope is so handy. No need to change rifle or scope. Just mount on the front clamp down and your into it. From day scope to thermal in 30sec
@Sideshow
I just bought a Sytong 66 clip on for the rear of the scope. It's IR not thermal but seems to work well. I just have to figure out how to wet it up or get my son to do it. Using it as a hand held it's an amazing bit of kit. Can't wait to get it set up on my 25. Will handle the recoil upto 9.3x62.
Bob

@Sideshow
I just bought a Sytong 66 clip on for the rear of the scope. It's IR not thermal but seems to work well. I just have to figure out how to wet it up or get my son to do it. Using it as a hand held it's an amazing bit of kit. Can't wait to get it set up on my 25. Will handle the recoil upto 9.3x62.
Bob
If you can get a handheld thermal to run along side it’s a real game changer.
For target id. Especially for what’s beyond what you’re aiming at. For example something that is standing behind some scrub bush that you haven’t seen.
Also pig’s really glow as they seem to throw a lot of heat.
Just watching what is there that you haven’t seen with your naked eye is a really eye opener. But if you do get one use your non shooting eye to scan, even in the daytime as it kills your night vision.
Im sure the night vision models are drop in price as everyone seems to want thermals. I have the pulsar Axion rf model. The range finder on the side is ok but if your right eye dominant then you can’t use this in your left hand as that is the side that the range finder is on.
The rf is handy though as at night I do struggle with distance Versus size of target.

If you can get a handheld thermal to run along side it’s a real game changer.
For target id. Especially for what’s beyond what you’re aiming at. For example something that is standing behind some scrub bush that you haven’t seen.
Also pig’s really glow as they seem to throw a lot of heat.
Just watching what is there that you haven’t seen with your naked eye is a really eye opener. But if you do get one use your non shooting eye to scan, even in the daytime as it kills your night vision.
Im sure the night vision models are drop in price as everyone seems to want thermals. I have the pulsar Axion rf model. The range finder on the side is ok but if your right eye dominant then you can’t use this in your left hand as that is the side that the range finder is on.
The rf is handy though as at night I do struggle with distance Versus size of target.

Ive got the same handheld (Pulsar Axion with LRF)... Ive found its greatest benefit to be in 2 different roles..

When I am the "spotter" for another hunter.. for example.. if my wife and I are out trying to bust bacon or take out some song dogs, she can remain on the gun.. while I scan and range with the monocular.. my job is to find the targets and then guide her to them.. so that she isnt having to transition from one device to another, etc..

and when I am looking for downed game.. when something bolts for the thick stuff, the thermal makes easy work of finding it as opposed to trying to follow a weak blood trail for a distance through a million wait a minute vines, briars, and brambles.. just walk into the wood line, scan, and generally speaking you'll find your downed deer/pig/whatever is a matter of seconds or minutes..

Ive got the same handheld (Pulsar Axion with LRF)... Ive found its greatest benefit to be in 2 different roles..

When I am the "spotter" for another hunter.. for example.. if my wife and I are out trying to bust bacon or take out some song dogs, she can remain on the gun.. while I scan and range with the monocular.. my job is to find the targets and then guide her to them.. so that she isnt having to transition from one device to another, etc..

and when I am looking for downed game.. when something bolts for the thick stuff, the thermal makes easy work of finding it as opposed to trying to follow a weak blood trail for a distance through a million wait a minute vines, briars, and brambles.. just walk into the wood line, scan, and generally speaking you'll find your downed deer/pig/whatever is a matter of seconds or minutes..
Are you using your shooting eye in this roll?
I was sitting out in a high stand the other night after pigs. Trying to get on gun swapping b scaning and rifle I have found to be difficult in reorientation of where you last looked. Especially in woods. Had to identify areas by trees ie big log with fork in it at 7 etc. but only when on the rifle would I use my shooting eye. Still wanted to preserve my night vision. Yeah the two roles are handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.