The World Of Hunting : Then And Now

Poton
Splendid article , old friend . On a related subject , the bonded bear claw and sledge hammer solid bullets have been reported to have deteriorated in quality since their original inventor , a Mr. Jack Carter stopped being involved in their manufacturing process . Daniel gave me this news about two years ago .
@Captain Nwz a .458 Winchester magnum calibre rifle ?! What have you done ?! Poton will hate you now . I would highly recommend replacing the Hornady ammunition with Woodleigh bullets when you commence hand -loading . Remember l used to tell you a story about a gaur which nearly killed us ? It was wounded by a client using a .458 Winchester magnum calibre bolt operation push feed configuration rifle made by the firm , Birmingham Small Arms. The ammunition was 500 grain solid metal envelope cartridges made by the firm , Hornady. The metal envelopes got ruptured and the lead interior had become exposed . I have shared the account on these forums . It is labelled " The Gaur Shikar which went very , terribly wrong . " . Based on my reading of many of the posts on these forums , it would appear that Hornady ammunition still leaves a great deal to be desired on dangerous game.
That said , congratulations on the fantastic purchase !

Ethics
No bigger change has come to the world of hunting in the last 50 years than the area of “ ethics “. When l was a professional shikaree in Nagpur , India from 1961 to 1970 , working for Allwyn Copper Limited , shikar ethics were practically unheard of .

During those days , the work of a professional shikaree in Allwyn Copper Limited was to only open fire if an animal was charging the client or anyone in the shikar party. A wounded animal escaping back in those days , was the client’s problem . If the client did not wish to carry out a follow up , then you patted him on the shoulder , offered him a bottle of our infamous Indian Old Monk rum and said “ It is only bad luck and nothing else , Sahib “ before driving him back to his hotel . Even though , l was personally extremely particular about following up any game ever wounded by myself , l must admit that l was rather indifferent about following up any game wounded by clients. My ( admittedly flawed ) logic was that the escaping animals wounded by clients were not my responsibility , as l was not the 1 who had shot them in the 1st place . By 1965 , however l had begun to follow up animals by clients . This sensibility was largely indoctrinated into me by my American friend and fellow professional shikaree , the late Tobin Stakkatz. Tobin was always extremely particular about following up game wounded by anyone in our shikar party , be it client or otherwise. Even though , my desire to follow up the wounded game stemmed largely out of my loyalty to Tobin and not any perceived “ ethics “ at the time , l have changed my views genuinely over the years . As l look back at those days through the eyes of an elderly man , l now fully realize that what Tobin and l were doing was the right thing to do. As a matter of fact , now that l think about it , l cannot recall having even 1 American client of mine , who did NOT want to follow up any game wounded by themselves. But then again , as good old Tobin used to say , “ Back where l come from , in the States , we never leave a wounded critter to die in the bush “.
Unlike today , there were no legal restrictions on the minimal calibres which 1 could use for dangerous game back in those days. The closest thing to such a regulation that existed back in those days was that a foreign client shikaree could not use a calibre smaller than.375 Nitro Express for royal Bengal tiger, gaur or water buffalo . However , this law only existed in Nagpur and less than a dozen other states in India. In other states ( such as Darjeeling where my fellow retired professional shikaree
, compatriot and friend , Sergeant Kawshik Rahman was based ) such laws did not exist . If any of you have ever read all of Kawshik’s articles on these forums , then you will recall a story about 1 of Kawshik’s colleagues , Rongon Daas getting hanged by the police , because his American client had gotten mauled to death , while trying to hunt a royal Bengal tiger with a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , chambered in .220 Swift ( using 48 grain soft nose bullet ) . That is right . Some 1 actually thought that it would be a good idea to use a .220 Swift to dispatch a 479 pound royal Bengal tiger . The results were inevitably predictable.

Here is a client from the very 1st shikar in my life which l had ever guided with Kawshik in 1963. This gentleman brought a .243 Winchester calibre Savage Model 110 bolt rifle for hunting a royal Bengal tiger . Call it sheer luck or sheer skill , but this gentleman successfully took down his royal Bengal tiger with a single 105 grain soft point .243 Winchester calibre bullet to the heart without any complications whatsoever. Regardless , l would be pretty uncomfortable if all of my clients began to come to India to hunt royal Bengal tigers with .243 Winchester calibre rifles.
View attachment 324189
This is Tom Bolack ( an American gentleman and a client of Kawshik's and mine who would eventually become the governor of New Mexico ) . Mr. Bolack won Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Tiger of the year " award in 1963 . He killed the royal Bengal tiger , whose head is mounted in the photograph , with a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , chambered in .270 Winchester .
View attachment 324190
While the use of smaller calibres for large , dangerous game is definitely not something l can ever recommend , l did learn a very valuable lesson from my clients who managed to successfully kill big , dangerous game with such under powered weapons : Accurate shot placement always deserves to be given higher priority than the size of your rifle bore ( although , calibre choices must also be extremely reasonable as well . )

Today , when l read many of the excellent posts made on these forums by our fellow forum members , l am most pleased to see how much ethics plays a part in the minds of the modern sports man. When l read the hunting reports of our fellow forum members , my respect for the members of African Hunting forums quadruples when l see the efforts that each of these fine gentlemen put to recover any wounded game and prevent them from dying a lingering death in the thickets.
On the subject of regulations relating to minimal calibre legally permissible for dangerous African game in modern times , l believe that majority of the African countries do not allow the use of any calibre smaller than .375 Holland & Holland magnum for dangerous game in modern times . In some African countries , l have read that they go 1 step further by not allowing anything smaller than the .400 series calibres for dangerous game. In some African countries , l believe that the law is a little lax and the minimum legally permissible calibre for dangerous game is the 9.3 × 62 Mauser . With laws stipulating the use of appropriate armaments in most of Africa , not only is the hunt far more ethical ( in the sense that you have a greater chance of being able to afford the animal a cleaner death ) , but it is also much safer to use when hunting animals which can potentially hunt you back .

Coming up next , " Tactics " .
Friend Ponton
I do remember reading many years ago of a reverend some one dispatching several tigers successfully with a savage lever action in 220 swift. Maybe one or the readers may be able to enlighten us further. I certainly wouldn't condone this practice.
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob

Friend Ponton
I do remember reading many years ago of a reverend some one dispatching several tigers successfully with a savage lever action in 220 swift. Maybe one or the readers may be able to enlighten us further. I certainly wouldn't condone this practice.
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob
I have read that book , Bob. It is called " The Blue Tiger " . The reverend's name was Henry R Caldwell . He used a Savage Model 99 lever rifle , chambered in .22 Hi Power . The .22 Hi Power bullet weight is 70 grains , as opposed to the 48 grains of the .220 Swift bullet. Also , he used that rifle to dispatch just 1 royal Bengal tiger which weighed 400 pounds ( about 100 pounds lighter than an Indian royal Bengal tiger ) . Also , he only managed to kill it , because it's stomach was full and he had fired into it's stomach . This caused a burst of gases inside the royal Bengal tiger and killed it. Mr. Caldwell eventually switched to a .303 Savage calibre Model 99 lever rifle with which he shot all of his other royal Bengal tigers . It is fascinating to know that you and l have the same tastes in reading material , Bob.

Poton, I have hunted varmints at night from the time I was 6 years old. I’ve taken coyotes, foxes, raccoons, bobcats and of course feral hogs. Here most states allow night hunting for varmints. Some states you must have written permission from a land owner or game warden.
I believe it is perfectly ethical and certainly no sure thing to call in varmints, or hunt over a hog feeder. I don’t believe it is legal anywhere for big game such as deer or elk.
Ridgewalker
It is the same in Australia. Spotlighting for foxes and rabbits. Our kangaroos are also hunted legally under light by professional shooters. There is also some illegal hunting by poachers using light for deer hunting.
Cheers mate Bob

Costs

It goes without saying that inflation means that the costs of everything has risen over the years . Here is a scanned copy of 1 of the original brochure cards of Allwyn Cooper Limited , advertising all the species of game , which we had available for shikar until 1972.
View attachment 325194

Our classic Allwyn Cooper Limited " Fur & Feather " package deal cost $ 5000 American Dollars . This package allowed a foreign client shikaree the opportunity to hunt 2 dozen water fowl / land fowl and a royal Bengal tiger . For the royal Bengal tiger , the client had the option to order a beat to be organized or the option to bait the royal Bengal tiger .
We had a budget " Fur & Feather " package deal which cost $4800 American Dollars . This was identical to our classic " Fur & Feather " package deal , except that the option to order a beat for the royal Bengal tiger was not available .
Our " Fur & Feather " package deal also allowed room for customizations. You could replace the royal Bengal tiger with a forest panther , a gaur , a water buffalo , an Asian Sloth Bear or a wild bush boar and the price would go down accordingly . If dangerous game was not your fancy , then you could always opt for a nice sambhur , cheetal , Muntjac, hog or swamp deer , Nilgai , black buck , 4 horned buck or Chinkara .

Our other package was the " Fur & Fangs " package deal which which essentially omitted the option for shooting birds and replaced the birds with another mammal. An example of our classic " Fur & Fangs " package would have allowed a foreign client shikaree with the option to hunt a sambhur deer and a forest panther .
Here is a client of Kawshik's named Don Fernando Delgado ( Manuel Delgado's father ) who booked a " Fur & Fang " package deal with Kawshik's outfitters , Sundar Raj Shikar Limited . The Don had booked a shikar for a sambhur deer and a large forest panther . I understand that his grand son is a member of these forums.
View attachment 325195

A classic " Fur & Fang " package deal at Allwyn Cooper Limited would cost $6500 American Dollars ( All Inclusive ) .
Kawshik's outfitters , Sundar Raj Shikar Limited offered the same package at a more economical price of $ 5700 American Dollars ( All Inclusive ) .

Our most expensive package deal at Allwyn Cooper Limited was the " Trophy Room Special " package. This allowed a foreign client shikaree to shoot 1 of every species available for shikar in India . Such a package deal would cost $25,000 American Dollars ( All Inclusive ) . A " Trophy Room " package deal allowed a client shikaree to shoot :
1 royal Bengal tiger
1 forest panther
1 Asian Sloth Bear
1 gaur
1 water buffalo
1 bush boar
1 Ganges river crocodile
1 sambhur deer
1 cheetal deer
1 hog deer
1 barking deer
1 4 horned buck
1 Chinkara
1 swamp deer
1 Neelgai
1 black buck
2 mouse deer
1 dozen hares
1 dozen water fowl ( assorted)
1 dozen jungle fowl ( assorted )

Needless to say , it was the very rare client who opted for such an extravagant package deal. During the 10 years that l worked as a professional shikaree in Allwyn Cooper Limited , l only ever guided 3 clients who opted for the " Trophy Room Special " package deal , including Mr Tom Bolack . Infact , since Allwyn Cooper Limited's establishment in 1954 all the way until 1972 , only 14 clients in total ever opted for the "Trophy Room Special " package deal .
Here is Mr. Bolack in 1963 , when he received Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Tiger of the year " award. What is flat out terrifying about Mr. Tom Bolack's shooting skills is that he managed to secure EVERY game in his " Trophy Room Special " package deal , by using nothing , but a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 bolt rifle , chambered in .270 Winchester and a 28 calibre side by side double barreled shot gun , made by the English company , W W Greener . Kawshik took this photograph.
View attachment 325197

Indeed , the bulk of my clients were elitists and white collar gentlemen , usually above 40 years old .

Now , as my learned fellow forum member , @Ridgewalker states ... $ 5000 American Dollars in 1963 was a great deal of money ( l am not even going to begin talking about $ 25,000 American Dollars ) . Today , fortunately more cost effective package deals exist for the modern sports man travelling to Africa . This can only be a good thing , because ( while still quite costly ) an African safari is nowadays no longer a distant dream for the average man who works hard and saves appropriate funds for his dream safari . I understand that plains game Safaris are more economical than dangerous game Safaris . All in all , l think that the costs of African Safaris in modern times are more favorable for the average man , than the Indian shikar of yesteryear .

Coming up next... " Resources "
Friend Ponton
The trophy room package is truly impressive. How long was the shikka for that hunt. I would have loved to be able to afford that hunt. Yes I think the price of hunting plains game has come down. I remember reading Cobett, Seleous and others on hunting. Admittedly they also hunted DG and the cost. I could only imagine the cost of the 1900s Roosevelt hunt.
Fortunately the cost now days allows even a man of humble means to hunt Africa. Also the cost of rifles has come down in relation to wages these days. A person can now get a good quality 375 H&H magnum for a bit more than a week's wages. We also have more hunters wanting to go to Africa and a lot of competition between companies wanting the client. I am sure all would offer a great safari but it must be hard for them with such competition now days compared to the old days with a lot less PH services.
This benefit us all the hunter, the safari provider and especially the animals. HUNTING ENCOURES CONSERVATION meaning MORE AND BETTER ANIMALS. It's ironic that to save animals we ha e to shoot/hunt them. Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson

My dream is Namibia , Mark Hunter. I believe that a man's body may age , but it will never slow him down as long as the mind is young.
Friend Ponton
My family hunted Namibia Sept to Oct last year with Harold and Liezel at Osambahe Nord safaris a very enjoyable and affordable experience. You can read about it on another AH forum hunting reports hunting with Osombahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel.
I used my 35Whelan and my son used a 308
You would enjoy it imensly my friend.
Keep safe and keep hunting
Bob Nelson
20191031_214852.jpg

My black wildebeest taken at around 180yards with the 35 Whelan and 225grain accubond projectile.
received_786752601805184.jpeg

My 15year old son with the Hartman zebra he shot with his 308

Wyatt Smith , why Nwz thank you ! I am currently using Hornady DGX 500 grain expanding cartridges and Hornady DGS 500 grain full metal jacket cartridges . When l begin handloading , l suppose that l will use either Hornady 500 grain bullets or Woodleigh 500 grain bullets.
My preference lies with Hornady , because l am familiar with the brand for forty years . I prefer traditional lead core bullets over the new copper alloy bullets on the market ( however , this is more out of nostalgia , than practicality . )
Captain Nwz
I can strongly recommend the woodleigh projectiles, they are made in Australia and have proven themselves worldwide in bid and small game fields. They have a soft lead core bonded to the jacket and hold together very well. Their solid projectiles are heavy jacket lead core as well. You will not be disappointed.
Cheers Captain
Shoot straight and hunt well.
Bob Nelson

Major, my .470 is a Krieghoff Big Five model of recent make.. There is a lot of controversy about using monolithics in pre-WW2 doubles..
However..recent testing seem to indicate that the banded monolithics actually produce less pressure than modern Woodleigh solids (with much thicker steel envelopes than the old Kynoch solids..), the woodies are very hard.. . Now, I also have an old brit. double in .475NE (WW1 vintage) and have used Woodleigh solids in it in Africa....but there has been incidents with split barrels in old doubles..presumably caused by too hard bullets and high pressure..

After all... a lot have happened to metalurgy in 100 years..

Me, I will not use non-banded monos in any rifle, bolt or double due to these pressure problems...I will use banded ones in my rifles...I think banded flat tipped monos are the best for elephant hunting..
Pondoro
I find it hard to understand rifles blowing up using woodleigh projectiles as in the larger older calibers they are made to the same specs as the old kynoc ammo. Geoff McDonald went to great lengths to acquire the specs for these bullets and tested them. Major companies load them in their DG cartridges without problems so I am led to believe it may be something other than the projectiles otherwise the wouldn't be loaded commercially by some of the biggest companies such as federal ammunition..
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

Pondoro
I find it hard to understand rifles blowing up using woodleigh projectiles as in the larger older calibers they are made to the same specs as the old kynoc ammo. Geoff McDonald went to great lengths to acquire the specs for these bullets and tested them. Major companies load them in their DG cartridges without problems so I am led to believe it may be something other than the projectiles otherwise the wouldn't be loaded commercially by some of the biggest companies such as federal ammunition..
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

The problem only applies to some old double rifles (I have not seen any reports regarding this happening to pre-WW2 bolt rifles..).

Geoff McDonald is aware of the problem...but he primarily make bullets for modern rifles..

You must remember that these rifles were both pressure tested and used with Eley or Kynoch made solids and they had far thinner steel envelopes than the modern Woodleigh.

The problem only applies to some old double rifles (I have not seen any reports regarding this happening to pre-WW2 bolt rifles..).

Geoff McDonald is aware of the problem...but he primarily make bullets for modern rifles..

You must remember that these rifles were both pressure tested and used with Eley or Kynoch made solids and they had far thinner steel envelopes than the modern Woodleigh.
Pondoro
Woodleigh makes a variety of jacket thickness for the same caliber depending on the cartridge and velocity parameters.
Cheers mate Bob

Pondoro
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

I have to agree with @Pondoro.

The bullets that are made today cannot be compared to the old bullets that were loaded at that old time. There are certainly differences between the bullets that were made over time and also from which maker. It is true that Woodleigh still produces thin-walled bullets for some calibers , but they are intended for Nitro for black or BP loads. The others with the original weights are almost all thick-walled.

You can use modern thick-walled bullets or monos in your old DR , but you have to be well informed about the condition of your rifle. In my case , I will never use monos , no matter which , in my two old double rifles. I shoot with caution modern SP or FMJ bullets from Woodleigh in this rifles , but I have the best results in terms of precision with the old thin-walled bullets from Kynoch , especially with the rifle caliber 577NE built 1909.

Last edited:
I have to agree with @Pondoro.

The bullets that are made today cannot be compared to the old bullets that were loaded at that old time. There are certainly differences between the bullets that were made over time and also from which maker. It is true that Woodleigh still produces thin-walled bullets for some calibers , but they are intended for Nitro for black or BP loads. The others with the original weights are almost all thick-walled.

You can use modern thick-walled bullets or monos in your old DR , but you have to be well informed about the condition of your rifle. In my case , I will never use monos , no matter which , in my two old double rifles. I shoot with caution modern SP or FMJ bullets from Woodleigh in this rifles , but I have the best results in terms of precision with the old thin-walled bullets from Kynoch , especially with the rifle caliber 577NE built 1909.

Kurpfalzjäger..have you hunted DG with your .577..? Wich make is it..? Could you please post some photos of it..?

Kurpfalzjäger..have you hunted DG with your .577..? Wich make is it..? Could you please post some photos of it..?

It is a boxlock rifle with doll-head lock bought in a first time on March 9, 1909 in London from Webley & Scott. I have the photocopy of the book entry from the Webley & Scott archive and the name of the first owner. Who really built it and exactly when is always difficult to determine. I bought the rifle from a seller in Germany who imported it from Nairobi / Kenya. I got with it more than hundred old cartridges from Kynoch. The rifle was regulated in a first time for 650gr bullets und 90grains cordite , and then in a second time for 750gr bullets and 90gr cordite. The way it looked , everyone shot the full load with 100gr cordite.

Unfortunately I have never hunted with him until now. It is a rifle for elephant hunting and since you don't that often hunt elephants , I shot the some i hunted with my rifles caliber 460WM and 500 Schüler. In addition to that nowadays there are not always any conditions for hunting with a DR. But it is being more or less planned.

Photos as soon as possible. I'm not an expert for something like that.

Friend Ponton
My family hunted Namibia Sept to Oct last year with Harold and Liezel at Osambahe Nord safaris a very enjoyable and affordable experience. You can read about it on another AH forum hunting reports hunting with Osombahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel.
I used my 35Whelan and my son used a 308
You would enjoy it imensly my friend.
Keep safe and keep hunting
Bob Nelson
View attachment 328404
My black wildebeest taken at around 180yards with the 35 Whelan and 225grain accubond projectile.
View attachment 328405
My 15year old son with the Hartman zebra he shot with his 308
That is a beautiful looking wildebeest , Bob ! It is my dream to hunt an African lion and a blue wildebeest someday in Zimbabwe or Namibia 3 years down the line . Your .35 Whelen calibre bolt rifle appears to be ballistically quite similar to the 9.3 × 62 mm Mauser calibre which l am familiar with . Your boy's zebra is no less beautiful either. You are a very lucky father. To be able to hunt with your children , just as you hunted with your father in your youth... No feeling can be more beautiful than that 1. May l ask what make of rifle your .35 Whelen is ? And what make of rifle is the young man's ( your son's ) .308 Winchester ?
I understand that Tikka brand rifles , chambered in .308 Winchester are quite popular among our brother Australian sports men ? It would be my absolute privilege to read your hunting report about how the father and son duo managed to secure 2 such fine and beautiful trophies so cleanly. As a matter of fact , l will read it tonight .

Friend Ponton
The trophy room package is truly impressive. How long was the shikka for that hunt. I would have loved to be able to afford that hunt. Yes I think the price of hunting plains game has come down. I remember reading Cobett, Seleous and others on hunting. Admittedly they also hunted DG and the cost. I could only imagine the cost of the 1900s Roosevelt hunt.
Fortunately the cost now days allows even a man of humble means to hunt Africa. Also the cost of rifles has come down in relation to wages these days. A person can now get a good quality 375 H&H magnum for a bit more than a week's wages. We also have more hunters wanting to go to Africa and a lot of competition between companies wanting the client. I am sure all would offer a great safari but it must be hard for them with such competition now days compared to the old days with a lot less PH services.
This benefit us all the hunter, the safari provider and especially the animals. HUNTING ENCOURES CONSERVATION meaning MORE AND BETTER ANIMALS. It's ironic that to save animals we ha e to shoot/hunt them. Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson
I could not agree more , Bob. It is a GOD SEND that hunting options becoming more and more easily affordable and available for the average man. It is our God given right to hunt and not just something for the elites of society.

At Allwyn Cooper Limited , your " Trophy Room Special " package deal lasted 28 days + 2 days for arrival and departure from India . It cost $25,000 American Dollars . Here is what a " Budget Trophy Room Special " package deal looked like .
You could book it in Uttar Pradesh.
It has a few less species available , but was more affordable . I apologise for the wrinkles in the paper.

Screenshot_20200130-070825_01.png

Observe how no mention is made of gaur , 4 horned buck , black buck , Barasingha , water buffalo , Chinkara , crocodile , mouse deer or boar .

That is a beautiful looking wildebeest , Bob ! It is my dream to hunt an African lion and a blue wildebeest someday in Zimbabwe or Namibia 3 years down the line . Your .35 Whelen calibre bolt rifle appears to be ballistically quite similar to the 9.3 × 62 mm Mauser calibre which l am familiar with . Your boy's zebra is no less beautiful either. You are a very lucky father. To be able to hunt with your children , just as you hunted with your father in your youth... No feeling can be more beautiful than that 1. May l ask what make of rifle your .35 Whelen is ? And what make of rifle is the young man's ( your son's ) .308 Winchester ?
I understand that Tikka brand rifles , chambered in .308 Winchester are quite popular among our brother Australian sports men ? It would be my absolute privilege to read your hunting report about how the father and son duo managed to secure 2 such fine and beautiful trophies so cleanly. As a matter of fact , l will read it tonight .
Friend Ponton
My son's rifle is a standard Howa bolt action rifle with a 22 inch barrel. He used hand loaded ammunition with 150grain accubonds and 140grain outer edge projectiles. The outer edge are made in Australia and are monometals. They perform similar to Barnes ttsx.
My rifle started life as as a 110 savage in 270cal. I had it rebarreled to 35Whelan with a 25 inch MAB stainless barrel and a radial port muzzle brake. (This helps with recoil even though it is pleasant with out the brake the brake helps because of a shoulder injury) . My son uses the 35 Whelan without any problems.
I loaded the Whelan with 225grain accubonds and 225grain woodleigh. I load these to realistic pressure not the wimpy low pressure lawyer loads the factory uses.
The velocity of these 2 projectiles is 2,850fps for the accubonds and 2,95fps for the woodleigh. This give a muzzle energy of 4,100 to 4,300 fps. This puts it up in the 338 Winchester magnum territory..
Thank you for your interest friend Ponton
Hope you do your hunt soon my friend.
Cheers
Bob Nelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois