Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I have had a near miss. I'm with the Cougar.

Tooo fuuunnny!
My little GSP bird dog got sprayed once and ever since then he stays way out of range! Smarter than me!

I was running late one night, at the last stretch of a long trip. I heard this bird raising hell. Sounded like a killdeed, which lays eggs on the ground and fakes an injury to lure you from it. I expected thats all that was happening.
As I approached where the sound was I looked in its general direction, thinking maybe I could see where it was in the faint moonlight.
Then, over the sound in my headset, I heard a hissing sound....
The bird was warning me that Pepe Le Pew was gonna get me!!
Tho tired, I managed another all out sprint!!

Haha, no doubt DG there!

ArmyGrunt, did you learn your lesson:ROFLMAO:?

Skunks can be strangely wise, in a clownish kinda way. A long time ago I would see one every morning when I would jog early. First time we scared the crap out of each other, and I ran like hell. Second time it was a sort of cautious move away from each other. But, eventually it became used to me, and would not even react. We were practically on a first name basis! :D

Another skunk story, my wife and I were having an argument before going somewhere, when I got to the car I saw that skunk in our yard not far from the drive way. So, when Mrs. came out of the house I yelled at her, in a demanding kind of way, get in the car. She huffed and walk as slow as could be. I waited a bit before pointing out the skunk. She moved very quickly and was not at all impressed with my humour:) True story.

I work with a fellow who was battling chipmunks in his yard he set a very small live trap to catch the little buggers and the next day in the dark as he left for work found that his trap was stuffed full of skunk only the body tail was still outside. He left work early to extract the skunk I told him to close all the doors because the skunk would run for first dark hole it saw well he left the man door open in his attached garage. He texted me said I was right.
I told him leave it alone and the door open as soon as it gets dark he will leave he listened this time and as soon as the sun went down his guest left without putting up a stink.
Shawn

Growing up we lived in a mobile home in the country. At one time we had a skunk living beneath the trailer. We woke up one AM and the skunk had found a reason to spray. Smell inside was so thick you could cut it with a knife. The family went to church and left dad to deal with the skunk. It had dug a hole way back under the trailer. He wanted to gas it so it wouldn't spray again. Started the truck up and stuck a garden hose up the tailpipe. Took his .357 just in case and crawled under the trailer with a flashlight and the hose. To get to the hole he had to wedge himself between some of the pipes...... Stuck the hose in and the skunk wanted to come back out! he was beating it over the head with the hose trying to keep it in there. The skunked sprayed in the hole...... Dad claimed he about suffocated before the skunk succumbed... Finally got the skunk out and the hole buried to get rid of the smell. The skunk went back in the woods a ways away. Quite the encounter.
Bruce

Lots of skunks stories. First, when I was in college we had a dog that would get sprayed everyday, just would not leave the skunk alone. Skunk finally died.

Now, I have three dogs, the littlest one has now been sprayed three times in the back yard, the other 2 only once before they learned their lesson. The littlest one wants out every night to hunt the skunk. Skunk has not died yet, but soon.

There is another skunk that lives under the bleachers at the tennis court at the local country club. He comes out every evening and never sprays - I guess he has learned in order to eat well be nice.

Thirty years ago I was supervising a work detail cleaning out an old WW2 warehouse on Fort Bliss. We had been working in the building which was very large for about three hours when one of the men screamed and ran for the door. Well everyone thought snake as rattlers could be seen crawling all over the remote area of the post during those times. It didn't take long before the smell filled the inside of that building and we all ran. Never saw the critter myself just got the info from the guy that got sprayed and the unmistakable smell. We left the doors open so it could get out and when we came back the next day it wasn't around.

In one of my previous employments as a trucker, I was in the Carolinas or somewhere there abouts. My trailer was empty, it was around 2:00 am and was going at a pretty good clip since there was no other vehicles I was driving like I was in sports car hitting the apex etc. The roadway was brand new with brilliant white lines and a clear cold night. All of a sudden the striped line up ahead turned sideways on me. Fearing hallucinations I froze only to run up on a skunk that was perfectly straddling the white line and then turned sideways. He must have had nine lives because I missed him with all 18 wheels. Thank God because I'd hate to have to clean up that mess. Most would agree that there was nothing smellier that a dead skunk flattened on a hot road in the middle of the day.

We were at my buddies ranch back in high school and he made the mistake of shooting a skunk from his truck. It sprayed and the smell enveloped his truck. We rode the five hours back home with about 20 pine tree truck scents hanging from the ceiling. Got quite a few strange looks.

Tooo fuuunnny!
My little GSP bird dog got sprayed once and ever since then he stays way out of range! Smarter than me!

Lol! Better for the experience I believe! Maybe your dog can pass on the experience to you!! Haha !

Lesson learned: the danger is not necessarily hidden in the SIZE, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,